Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after the horrible events in NS, the Liberals aren't going to let that tragedy go to waste.

During a lockdown, when people aren't allowed to travel, an armed gunman was allowed to drive around for 12 hours killing people.
The Police reaction was unacceptable.

1. It was during a lockdown with dramatically less traffic, 12 hours?
2. They used foreign controlled social media (Twitter) to "warn" people. Most people don't use this service.
3. They chose not to use the Canadian Emergency Alert system.
- Ontario once used this system, in violation of guidelines, to alert us that a grandfather was late returning from a shopping trip with the grandkids.

The government wants to ban assault rifles, which are already prohibited in Canada. Of course nobody has reported what type of firearm was used in this case. If it was legally owned etc.
They're hiding that information. I wonder if the facts would interfere with the policy they want to push forward.

Canadians should have a right to security of person, the police are clearly unable, and unwilling to provide it. To not even use the emergency alert system in this case is negligent and a dereliction of duty. They should be held accountable.

I imagine that if people knew an armed murderer was rampaging, they might have stopped this sooner.
I propose that properly trained and licenced individuals should be allowed concealed carry, in some areas.

If it saves just one life, it's something we must consider, and in this case a proper response would have saved many.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Much too sensible Mr. Matt. Canadians cannot be trusted with guns.

Resident with the right to bear arms are citizens. Those denied that right are subjects. We in Canada know where we stand.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much too sensible Mr. Matt. Canadians cannot be trusted with guns.

Resident with the right to bear arms are citizens. Those denied that right are subjects. We in Canada know where we stand.
It isn't like trained licensed individuals are lower risk.
I remember an interesting study that in the US Concealed Carry permit holders have one of the lowest rates of criminal activity.
Lower than pretty much every group, the one that really jumped out was they commit (per capita) fewer crimes than police officers.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how guns would have helped in this situation. Would you shoot a uniformed RCMP officer?
I didn't realize that it was the RCMP shooting up the province.
It's well known that mass shootings typically happen in gun free zones.
Canada is the largest gun free zone in the world.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The PM wants to pass legislation on guns and will meet with the opposition parties to decide how to work out the voting procedure.

The Conservatives will be consulted, even though they won't agree. It won't matter though. The other opposition parties want to make changes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is the police that we needed protecting from. Police that are blindly following orders from our government locking us in our homes. Go to China & work for the communists. The police are in love their pensions more then they care about our freedom. Hopefully the police open their eyes to the BS about the virus & to the fact our freedom is worth more then their fat pension.

In the US there are sheriffs that refuse to go against the constitution & enforce the lockdowns that the governors of some of the states have implemented. These sheriffs understand when the people are armed with guns it is better to leave their freedom alone.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
I didn't realize that it was the RCMP shooting up the province.
It's well known that mass shootings typically happen in gun free zones.
Canada is the largest gun free zone in the world.
The shooter in this situation was wearing an RCMP uniform. Any bystander would have no way of knowing he was not an RCMP officer. Pretty brave/stupid to shoot first ask questions later with a uniformed police office. So, not sure it would have helped for citizens to have had guns in this case.

USA has lots of guns and more than their share of mass shootings. What happened in NS would barely make the news in the USA because it would be so banal.

Canada is not gun free. There are many millions of guns in Canada.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Strongly considering putting lonewolf on ignore. Haven't ignored anyone yet, but I'm strongly tempted to. I don't need investing advice based on whether mercury is in retrograde and his political insights are not really worth engaging in.

Sorry for the aside.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It is the police that we needed protecting from. Police that are blindly following orders from our government locking us in our homes. Go to China & work for the communists. The police are in love their pensions more then they care about our freedom. Hopefully the police open their eyes to the BS about the virus & to the fact our freedom is worth more then their fat pension.

In the US there are sheriffs that refuse to go against the constitution & enforce the lockdowns that the governors of some of the states have implemented. These sheriffs understand when the people are armed with guns it is better to leave their freedom alone.
Nobody‘s locked me in my home, just got back from playing catch with my son.

I wonder how those alive today would have handled a major world war. This is obviously not on the same scale....but I simply don’t understand the complaining. My mother left a communist country to come to Canada alone when she was 20......with her grade 8 education she could do wonders informing others what a police state looks like.

Relax...it’s been 6 weeks.....I’ll listen in March 2021 if we’re in the same boat and haven’t experienced any easing of restrictions. We’ve got a minority federal government with plenty of checks on the supposed power grabs.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shooter in this situation was wearing an RCMP uniform. Any bystander would have no way of knowing he was not an RCMP officer. Pretty brave/stupid to shoot first ask questions later with a uniformed police office. So, not sure it would have helped for citizens to have had guns in this case.

USA has lots of guns and more than their share of mass shootings. What happened in NS would barely make the news in the USA because it would be so banal.

Canada is not gun free. There are many millions of guns in Canada.
I know a bystander would have had no way of knowing, since the RCMP withheld the information that there was an active shooter. I hope whoever made the call to withhold critical information during an emergency faces serious reprecussions.

What happened in NS would have been in the top 10 of worst shootings in the US.
It would tied for 6th, Incidentally #6 was stopped by a private citizen with an AR15.

Finally we don't know what kind of weapons this person used.

As far as personal protection, when seconds matter, the police are only hours away!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I am taking a guess that Trudeau knows, and that is why he is talking to the opposition to pass legislation.

Just a guess on my part, but I think assault weapons may be the focus of discussion among the politicians.

As to private citizens wearing concealed weapons, I don't think it necessary but if it was, I will be wearing a gun to protect myself against gun owners.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of any other cases where the perp wore a police uniform and had a pretty accurate police vehicle?

unfortunately, we’ve come to learn that the first time a unique attack occurs, it’s almost impossible to defend.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
I didn't realize that it was the RCMP shooting up the province ...
... The shooter in this situation was wearing an RCMP uniform ...
The uniform and a faked RCMP car used were widely reported on the news reports I saw.

I suspect the MrMatt is trying to make a different point ... which likely wouldn't change that anyone running across the shooter in uniform and/or while driving the fake RCMP vehicle would hesitate. Without several armed people being able interpret what was happening correctly, it may not have made a difference.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of any other cases where the perp wore a police uniform and had a pretty accurate police vehicle?
Not in Canada ... but I seem to recall this in other parts of the world.

Most of my searches are coming up with the latest NS shooting so it's hard for me to confirm.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
... What happened in NS would have been in the top 10 of worst shootings in the US. It would tied for 6th, Incidentally #6 was stopped by a private citizen with an AR15 ...
Yes it would be in the top ten ... and it might jump to tie #6 but the lists I am seeing say it's tied with #7, the Walmart shooting in El Paso, Texas.

The AR15 bit seems to be from #5 First Baptist Church, Sutherland Springs, Texas. Shooting people in church seems easily identifiable as to who is who.

For #6, Luby's Cafeteria, Killeen, Texas - the shooter is reported to have fataly shot himself while confronting police. For #7, the shooter surrendered himself to Texas Rangers as well as an El Paso motorcycle cop.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
I know a bystander would have had no way of knowing, since the RCMP withheld the information that there was an active shooter. I hope whoever made the call to withhold critical information during an emergency faces serious reprecussions.

What happened in NS would have been in the top 10 of worst shootings in the US.
It would tied for 6th, Incidentally #6 was stopped by a private citizen with an AR15.

Finally we don't know what kind of weapons this person used.

As far as personal protection, when seconds matter, the police are only hours away!
At what point did even the police know that the shooter was in police uniform with a mock police vehicle?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it would be in the top ten ... and it might jump to tie #6 but the lists I am seeing say it's tied with #7, the Walmart shooting in El Paso, Texas.

The AR15 bit seems to be from #5 First Baptist Church, Sutherland Springs, Texas. Shooting people in church seems easily identifiable as to who is who.

For #6, Luby's Cafeteria, Killeen, Texas - the shooter is reported to have fataly shot himself while confronting police. For #7, the shooter surrendered himself to Texas Rangers as well as an El Paso motorcycle cop.

Cheers
That's only 22, NS was 23, not sure if that's including the shooter.

Re: Sutherland Springs, Stephen Willeford actually got him outside the church.

Despite all the concern raised by gungrabbers, most shootings don't turn into a massive bloodbath.
The people actually drawing tend to be quite restrained.

My point remains, this was a significant mass shooting, even by US standards.
The RCMP completely failed in their duty to protect the public, and were negligent in the refusal to properly advise the public of the risk.

I do NOT think it is appropriate to post public safety messages ONLY on a foreign service that arbitrarily bans individuals from accessing that service, even if they did not violate the terms of use.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep the lack of an emergency alert was a big mess up. I don't have twitter on my phone.

The scary thing is, even if they had sent out an alert I woulda missed it cause I disabled emergency alerts on my phone after being woken up in the middle of the night like 6 or 7 times over the past few months for some missing kids. Maybe I should re-enable it...

1 - 20 of 305 Posts