Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes our grocery bill went up when we had our daughter two years ago. But our "dining out" bill reduced to nearly nothing, so it balanced out.

I also noticed that I bought better quality food for her than I would have normally bought for myself - basically organic everything.

Now that she is two, I have eased up on the organic stuff, but I find food waste a big problem as she often rejects the meals I have made for her and after trying to give it to her several times at various meals it often ends up in the garbage.

My advice would be not to be stingy with buying quality food for your baby. The cost of healthy food is far outweighed by all the health benefits. Save money by buying the raw ingredients and cooking them at home. This way you control the salt and can eliminate all the preservatives, and if you make and freeze you will save a ton.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh and at six months, your child will be starting to eat real food. A real money-saver is to buy seasonal fruit and veggies. Boil them, stick them in a food processor or blender, then pour the mush into ice cube trays to flash freeze. After a few hours in the freezer, pop the the food cubes out into a Ziplock bag, and voila! You have your own cheaply produced, single-serve, no preservative-added baby food that will keep for several months in the freezer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.