21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
My grades are

A+ for BC
A for MB
B for Canada

BC got it first, but has been very diligent. They were even developing tests before this was seen as a 'thing to do'. Thanks to BC's actions, I am currently -- fingers crossed -- conducting relatively normal business in BC. To give you a sense of what that means in the economy... I have spent a ton of money in recent days, in BC.

MB has done well too, and I really like their strong restrictions on travel. They still require 14 day isolation when entering MB, even from other provinces. I think they recognized (unlike others) that this was spreading via travel.

While on the topic I will also mention that I flew recently with Air Canada, and the experience wasn't quite as horrendous as you might expect. I am flying AC again tomorrow, then again near the end of the month. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has breathing trouble, but for business travelers like myself, flying domestically is doable. I've also spent a ton of money on AC tickets over the last few weeks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
My grades are

A+ for BC
A for MB
B for Canada

BC got it first, but has been very diligent. They were even developing tests before this was seen as a 'thing to do'. Thanks to BC's actions, I am currently -- fingers crossed -- conducting relatively normal business in BC. To give you a sense of what that means in the economy... I have spent a ton of money in recent days, in BC.

MB has done well too, and I really like their strong restrictions on travel. They still require 14 day isolation when entering MB, even from other provinces. I think they recognized (unlike others) that this was spreading via travel.

While on the topic I will also mention that I flew recently with Air Canada, and the experience wasn't quite as horrendous as you might expect. I am flying AC again tomorrow, then again near the end of the month. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has breathing trouble, but for business travelers like myself, flying domestically is doable. I've also spent a ton of money on AC tickets over the last few weeks.
when this all started, I figured BC was going to get hammered a-la Toronto and SARS. Given the large Chinese population and travel between BC and China, I figured it would be strongest out west and slowly come to Ontario. This was obviously before realizing that very little of the world was to be untouched.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
when this all started, I figured BC was going to get hammered a-la Toronto and SARS. Given the large Chinese population and travel between BC and China, I figured it would be strongest out west and slowly come to Ontario. This was obviously before realizing that very little of the world was to be untouched.
IIRC the source for the start of the Ontario infection was a traveler from Iran. That was the issue about having only a travel ban from China, i.e. it was too late. At that point, we would have needed to completely cut off all travel if isolation was our goal. Works for island countries like New Zealand, Australia, and Iceland. Not so much when we have close ties to the USA.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The same scientific and methodical approach will pay off. Other OECD countries will likely improve too. Not sure how it will go down in the US, since this has become very political.
WTF science are you taking about? The biased paid off science that predicted 2.2 million deaths in the States alone. Seeding the nursing homes with COVID by Commo using COVID as the new miracle cure so people don't die from heart attacks anymore only COVID. Wake up people it was not that long ago people thought the world was flat.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
WTF science are you taking about? The biased paid off science that predicted 2.2 million deaths in the States alone.
There was a range of predictions. The highest numbers were pessimistic and assumed nothing was done (in terms of prevention). More optimistic ones considered some interventions.

Wake up people it was not that long ago people thought the world was flat.
Exactly! More recently, some person suggested bleach could be introduced into the body to cure COVID-19.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
BC A+
MB A
NS, NB A
ON C
PQ C-
ROC B+
The graphs will tell the story more accurately in a month.
(Mexico C)

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
BC A+
MB A
NS, NB A
ON C
PQ C-
ROC B+
The graphs will tell the story more accurately in a month.
(Mexico C)
I think Ontario and Quebec will see an explosion in cases due to the protests.
I don't actually think this is a failure of the governments response, sure they're not enforcing the health order. But I don't actually expect them to be able to, particularly when you have political leaders egging them on.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Covid jumped pretty hard in Alberta yesterday...hope its an aberration and nothing to do with the health care sanctioned protests.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The impacts of protests on the number of cases should just be starting and will show over the next two weeks. This will be a good live data set to help understand the impacts of large gatherings. I hope the information will be analyzed and used to help provide direction of opening.

If the numbers don't go up very much, then opening up more things seems to be prudent. If the numbers skyrocket, then that should shut the deniers up.

I hope that the protesters all go and get tested. That's what there were encouraging in AB. They have been drop in/drive thru testing centres set up where anyone can go.

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
I'm worried about what might happen to numbers during all these protests, especially in the US. It might take a while for the effect to show in the stats. Most of the protesters are young, so they probably won't get sick even if they catch COVID. The problem would happen when they pass it onto somebody else.

So assuming the protesters spread it among themselves today, then carry it for a week, then transmit it to other people... I figure that's roughly 3-4 weeks by the time the other people show up in hospital or get positive test results.

We may not know the effects until July 1.

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
Not sure I would read too much into it, with a lame duck CPC leader. I think it is 'rally around the leader' thinking. Similar to how Ford rescued his disastrous first term (saved his bacon, politically, if he doesn't fumble later on). I think if Trudeau were seen to try to exploit the situation by holding a snap election (especially prior to the crisis being 'over' it would go very poorly. So it is pretty academic how much support Trudeau has right now (other than it keeps the opposition willing to continue to go with the flow). I do think it will make sense to hold an election late this year or early next, because I think the public should have their say in terms of which party has the right plan to manage the economic recovery and fiscal fallout.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Actually just as big a risk for BC was Washington State than just Asian travel. BC begged on knees with Trudeau to shut the borders and to insist on 14 quarantines. All incoming travel should have been shut down much sooner. For that, and Dr Tam's very poor initial advice and deference to the WHO, and shipping 16 tons of material to China in a 'kiss ***' deference to the dictators in Beijing, I give Canada a B-. Canada blew it for at least 3-4 weeks before they really started to get their act together.

Like some others, I give BC an A+ for the consistent and clear messaging and respectful approaches to a lock down. We were never locked down nearly as much as ROC. Our big Interior health region has gone 12 consecutive days now without a new diagnosed covid-19 case and it has been at at least that long (I think) since we had anyone hospitalized in any of the several hospitals in the region. We are now in the start of what would normally be a very big and very busy tourist season. Hopefully, some tourists will come and be respectful, if for no reason other than to help al lot of local businesses that count on the summer season to survive. We shall have to wait and see how that unfolds....we are all a bit jittery about visitors from east of the Rockies though.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Actually just as big a risk for BC was Washington State than just Asian travel. BC begged on knees with Trudeau to shut the borders and to insist on 14 quarantines. All incoming travel should have been shut down much sooner. For that, and Dr Tam's very poor initial advice and deference to the WHO, and shipping 16 tons of material to China in a 'kiss ***' deference to the dictators in Beijing, I give Canada a B-. Canada blew it for at least 3-4 weeks before they really started to get their act together.

Like some others, I give BC an A+ for the consistent and clear messaging and respectful approaches to a lock down. We were never locked down nearly as much as ROC. Our big Interior health region has gone 12 consecutive days now without a new diagnosed covid-19 case and it has been at at least that long (I think) since we had anyone hospitalized in any of the several hospitals in the region. We are now in the start of what would normally be a very big and very busy tourist season. Hopefully, some tourists will come and be respectful, if for no reason other than to help al lot of local businesses that count on the summer season to survive. We shall have to wait and see how that unfolds....we are all a bit jittery about visitors from east of the Rockies though.
What was the scope of the lockdown?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
We are now in the start of what would normally be a very big and very busy tourist season. Hopefully, some tourists will come and be respectful, if for no reason other than to help al lot of local businesses that count on the summer season to survive. We shall have to wait and see how that unfolds....we are all a bit jittery about visitors from east of the Rockies though.
You do realize that any visitors from outside Canada would have to quarantine for 14 days. That pretty much means there will be no international tourists showing up as long as that requirement is in place.

I don't know the status of other restrictions but suppose a tourist comes from Alberta or Manitoba, what facilities are available to them when they get there? One major issue for the traveller is access to toilets. Right now, it is pretty hard to find access to a public toilet anywhere in Canada. For example, most Canadians on the road stop at a Timmy's or McD's if they need a toilet. With only drive through service available though, the toilets are NOT open to the public.

Travellers have to eat and if restaurants are not open, where do they do that? Even where limited inside seating is allowed, how comfortable are people going to be doing that?

The point is that tourism depends on a lot more than just allowing people to physically access an area.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Anything where large groups of people congregated and where physical distancing was not realistically possible, e.g. arenas, sports, schools, events, concerts, bars, dine-in restaurants, personal services such as massage, dentistry, optometry. Businesses could actually stay open if they could assure physical distancing, but many/most closed in deference to the health and safety of their employees and many are still closed for that reason, e.g. driver's license renewals.

Outdoor activities, such as construction, never did shutdown, nor landscaping, exterior home renos and the like. Restaurants got creative and operated with take out and delivery. I could actually walk into a Subway shop and order a sub as long as I took it outside and as long as I maintained 2 metre spacing inside. Several big box stores remained open with limitations on who could enter and even some small retail shops remained open. There was a fair bit of common sense applied. The original list of essential services published Mar 26th is here.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts