Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a few months since COVID-19 has befallen the world. Countries/regions have taken different approaches and responses have varied. How would you grade (federal) Canada's response? How about your province?

I think the prime minister has done a good job so far. Very logical and methodical in terms of steering the economy, promoting preventative measures, etc. I would give him an A.

As for BC, I think the response has been very good overall. Dr. Henry has become sort of a star/celebrity here. Deservedly so. I give BC A+.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I wish I could but I am not knowledgeable enough to do so. Perhaps the only gauge might be deaths per 100K or the availability of covid tests. Other than that it seems to be this grade would be in the purview of someone who has some health care or public health knowledge/experience.

My working experience is in an industry where results were the yardstick...not certain if this blanket approach applies in the public health spectrum. Public opinion and perception does not always mirror reality.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For Ontario I'd say we have yet to experience major economic repercussions from how we've handled the pandemic... but from a humanitarian perspective I'd say good job containing the spread and handling cases relative to other countries.

·
Registered
784 Posts
For Ontario I'd say we have yet to experience major economic repercussions from how we've handled the pandemic... but from a humanitarian perspective I'd say good job containing the spread and handling cases relative to other countries.
I’m beginning to lower my grade on Ford et al. I think his communication, transparency and accountability have been good this far. The situation in long term care is very troubling. however, we’ve struggled since Mother’s Day to get the numbers down, whereas it seems most other (if not all) areas have seen consistent lowering. Ford has been thus far strongly in favour of continued lockdowns..although he seems to be easing into regional choices. Not sure who needs to start taking responsibility....Tory, devila, Williams? Toronto and Peel are the hot spots. They all seem to be supportive of contined restrictions. Maybe the citizens are to at fault?

b- and trending down for ontario

·
Registered
784 Posts
Really....the TTC is in huge trouble....as will all public transit for the foreseeable future. famous Restaurants are closing every day.....permanently. Rents are falling....real estate is flat and activity is down. We haven’t scratched the surface of Economic downturn yet. 2 of my 7 closest friends have lost their well paying established jobs. One in IT, one in logistics.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
Just to help people, I think A is the response by Taiwan and S Korea. By that standard, no jurisdiction in NA or Europe would qualify, I think. Some jurisdictions were spared much of problem and were not really tested.

Ontario I would rate C+ or B-. Canada Maybe a B. Quebec, a C-.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could but I am not knowledgeable enough to do so. Perhaps the only gauge might be deaths per 100K or the availability of covid tests. Other than that it seems to be this grade would be in the purview of someone who has some health care or public health knowledge/experience.

My working experience is in an industry where results were the yardstick...not certain if this blanket approach applies in the public health spectrum. Public opinion and perception does not always mirror reality.
I agree with you on these points. This wouldn't be a precise, scientific grading. Rather based on a general idea of the situation (which is unique) and comparison with comparable countries, such as European, US, Japan, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m beginning to lower my grade on Ford et al. I think his communication, transparency and accountability have been good this far. The situation in long term care is very troubling. however, we’ve struggled since Mother’s Day to get the numbers down, whereas it seems most other (if not all) areas have seen consistent lowering. Ford has been thus far strongly in favour of continued lockdowns..although he seems to be easing into regional choices. Not sure who needs to start taking responsibility....Tory, devila, Williams? Toronto and Peel are the hot spots. They all seem to be supportive of contined restrictions. Maybe the citizens are to at fault?

b- and trending down for ontario
While I agree with what you said, I think so many of these rising case issues stem from treating population dense metros like Toronto, Missisauga, etc. exactly the same as "Ontario" as a province. Realistically the major cities have the same covid restrictions as the neighbouring GTA, but inner city human interaction is more frequent. Up in Northern Ontario where I live preventing the spread is significantly easier.

·
Registered
784 Posts
While I agree with what you said, I think so many of these rising case issues stem from treating population dense metros like Toronto, Missisauga, etc. exactly the same as "Ontario" as a province. Realistically the major cities have the same covid restrictions as the neighbouring GTA, but inner city human interaction is more frequent. Up in Northern Ontario where I live preventing the spread is significantly easier.
well, I can tell you the council in my town of 10,000 declined to open the library for curb side pickup even though the neighbouring towns, city’s and a Toronto are offering it. They cited safety and budget concerns.
I personally am in favour of the library opening for curb side.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Canada overall B, Ontario B, Quebec C-, RoC A.

Part of Quebec/Ontario low grade is the failure to cancel March Break.

Quebecs further negatives are their overly aggressive reopening, which is proving a great Canadian example of the wrong way to do it.
I don't think they're quite at a fail though.

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
It is too early to rate the politicians. We still have a long ways to go, and the next stage will be more difficult to manage.

First, a lot of money has been spent to support people and the economy. All that support winds up by September.

The pandemic could continue on for another 12 months until a vaccine is widely available. Politicians have a lot of big decisions to make yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Canada A.
Testing could have being much better and better support for health care staff.
But when I look around China, India, USA, it sure is much better here. The leadership was sensitive and trying its best to help as much as they could.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Canada A, Quebec A.

It's not been perfect, there are things are disagree with, but overall I think the people in charge took the best decisions they could with the information they had. They made complicated things happen quickly for the greater good, no matter the cost. I compare our country's response to others and I'm glad to be here during this pandemic.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
How can we rate ourselves A when it is clear that other countries were better prepared and responded more effectively? Clearly we did not achieve flawless performance.
... but then Thal works for the government of Canada, I believe. If Quebec gets an "A" then Ontario must get an A+++++. Best I can give ON is a B or B- and a C for Canada. QC gets a D. BC & AB gets an A, and B+ respectively.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Not to let ON or QC off the hook, but how much of the COVID deaths and cases are really due to the long term care mismanagement rather than COVID response? There's a slight distinction between the two issues. As the people in long term care facilities are the most vulnerable, that will get amplified. In other words, if they were managed correctly from the start (have sufficient workers, PPE, training, etc), would there have been as bad a situation in ON and QC when you look at the numbers on their own?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Not to let ON or QC off the hook, but how much of the COVID deaths and cases are really due to the long term care mismanagement rather than COVID response? There's a slight distinction between the two issues. As the people in long term care facilities are the most vulnerable, that will get amplified. In other words, if they were managed correctly from the start (have sufficient workers, PPE, training, etc), would there have been as bad a situation in ON and QC when you look at the numbers on their own?
The failure in Long term care really isn't a COVID story, it was just the canary/tinderbox.

The problem is people were all to happy to ignore it.
I had to google the name Elizabeth Wettlaufter, and that wasn't even too long ago.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking forward, I think there is reason to believe that if there is a second wave coming, Canada will do as good or even better. The same scientific and methodical approach will pay off. Other OECD countries will likely improve too. Not sure how it will go down in the US, since this has become very political.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The failure in Long term care really isn't a COVID story, it was just the canary/tinderbox.

The problem is people were all to happy to ignore it.
I had to google the name Elizabeth Wettlaufter, and that wasn't even too long ago.
It isn't; however, for QC and ON, that is the focus of the death and cases.

That's why I said, if these cases were taken out of the equations, would the judgement of COVID response for QC and ON be better?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts