Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold some gold today. We went to the jeweler we use to have DW's ring repaired. One man shop. Does good work.

He sorts and weights the gold. 10 and 14K. Gives us the refinery spot rate less 15 percent. Much better than those retail jewelry shops that offer to buy for next to nothing. Bits and pieces that we no longer wanted. Cufflinks, necklaces, single earings, rings,etc.

My guess going in was $750. DW's guess was $900. We were both wrong. Just under $2100. We were pleasantly surprised. Gold is high, dollar is weak. Good time to get shot of things we no longer need or want.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
My guess going in was $750. DW's guess was $900. We were both wrong. Just under $2100. We were pleasantly surprised. Gold is high, dollar is weak. Good time to get shot of things we no longer need or want.
That's great news, congrats! And a testament to how gold holds value in the long term. You can have gold coins or jewelry from a grandparent or great grandmother, and it will still be valuable today.

Here's a chart of the price of gold in CAD since the year 2000. It's done just fine at holding its value and I anticipate that gold will continue to preserve its value for the rest of our lifetimes.

Nearly 20% of my net worth is in gold.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is physical gold (coins, collectibles like Montreal Olympics) taxable when you sell? I mean do you have to pay capital gains on it?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Nearly 20% of my net worth is in gold.
Wow, really?
That's quite a large chunk.
Would you not rather get paid interest or dividends instead of just hoping for capital appreciation?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
As Warren Buffet says it is a boom and bust lump that just sits there and produces nothing and pays no dividends. Cagr over 105 yrs , 1.2%/yr .

Rectangle Azure Slope Plot Font

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is physical gold (coins, collectibles like Montreal Olympics) taxable when you sell? I mean do you have to pay capital gains on it?
I am not sure if this will help you but this information was useful to me when I sold my gold coins years ago.

This link to a sample page of Geoff Stevens Book:

This CRA Link that explains personal use property:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not sure if this will help you but this information was useful to me when I sold my gold coins years ago.

This link to a sample page of Geoff Stevens Book:

This CRA Link that explains personal use property:
Thank you for your answer

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Wow, really?
That's quite a large chunk.
Would you not rather get paid interest or dividends instead of just hoping for capital appreciation?
It's a different asset class. I already have stocks and bonds which pay interest and dividends.

Gold is a different asset with different characteristics. It's not expected to do the same thing as other assets. Although it's had excellent performance over the last couple decades, I actually think it would be a mistake to hold gold purely for 'performance' since that really is not its main role in a portfolio.

In a diversified portfolio, it's best to hold a bunch of different assets which do different things. Here's a good illustration of this, you can see how gold and the TSX Composite have been doing very different things.

Rectangle Plot Slope Line Font

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
It's a different asset class. I already have stocks and bonds which pay interest and dividends.

Gold is a different asset with different characteristics. It's not expected to do the same thing as other assets. Although it's had excellent performance over the last couple decades, I actually think it would be a mistake to hold gold purely for 'performance' since that really is not its main role in a portfolio.

In a diversified portfolio, it's best to hold a bunch of different assets which do different things. Here's a good illustration of this, you can see how gold and the TSX Composite have been doing very different things.

View attachment 22235
So... Will you add crypto to your portfolio? It's a very different asset class behaving very differently.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts