Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some 30 years ago I was fascinated by gold and had some gold stock and had a maple leaf for a while. Eventually I lost my interest in it.

Anyway, it is supposed to offer some protection in troubled times, but apparently not this time. Why didn't it go up?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Your choice of reference currency has a big impact on how you see gold
It does when you consider that the CAD has decreased significantly against the USD lately. That's why I would USD instead of CAD to remove the effect of the exchange rate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
last time I looked the commercials had a huge short position close to record with large specs taking the opposite side. Silver below the 2008 lows will be the buy

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gold is only loosely correlated to equity. That's why I like it. Nobody says that when stocks fall, gold must go up.

Remember that all this trouble in the markets is fairly new. It's possible that people have been selling their gold to cover margin calls. Over longer periods of time, we might see gold prices rise even higher. Overall, gold has been performing very nicely so far. This might continue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't own any gold anymore sold in mid 2006. Even then I had a small amount. I think Warren Buffett got into my head and stayed there. I have been buying some physical silver this week. I view it as cheap and already have a lot of my moneyt tied up in dividend growth stocks. I don't own any GICs, Bonds, ETFs or Funds of any kind. My goal is just a $5K spend on this asset. Silver as Portfolio Insurance
It's been fun scouring the marketplace of coin dealers, private sellers and coin shows.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Let's also remember this has the potential for massive deflation as millions become unemployed. Deflation is not the best for gold. Despite that, it has held in on the bet on security and perhaps of over stimulation, which is not guaranteed at all but not impossible. For Canadians, it's a nice hedge against the falling Cdn dollar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts