Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at buying a gold ETF. GLD is up about 30% in the past year and has a MER of .4.
CGL is up only 13% in the same time has a MER of .5 and is hedged and the Cdn $ is up about 10%
IAU is also up about 30% whereas IGT is only up 16.8%
Since all these ETF hold gold bullion, I think, why the difference in returns btwn US and Cdn ETF's. Can't all be due to the Cdn $.
Am I missing something? Which is best for return and are they preferable to closed end gold funds.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's wrong with trading futures contracts directly? You will get the same return with the fraction of the cash tied up:

http://www.canadianmoneyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2690#4

Why Canadian big bank brokers don't offer futures trading is just beyond comprehension. This is the country of gold, base metals miners and oil and gas producers.
I have traded futures directly but takes a lot of cash to maintain margin and if I am right about direction and wrong on timing when contract expires I lose. Futures are for speculators and ETF are for investors or people who can't watch the ticker tape all day.

·
Banned
31 Posts
In today's markets ruled by computerized algorithms and big funds trading both the long and short side 24/7 all over the world, I would call a "speculator" or a "gambler" anyone who has an open position and doesn't watch the market in real time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts