Canadian Money Forum banner
841 - 860 of 883 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think we're talking about 2 different things.
I'm specifically talking about a specific controversy regarding CO2 emissions correlation to economic activity.
Then with COVID when we stopped large amounts of economic activity, CO2 emissions dropped.
We are. The article refers to particulate pollution only, nothing about CO2. The particulate matter usually reflects some of the sunlight from reaching Earth's surface, so keeps it cooler than expected. Without the particulate matter, we may end up with more sunlight and hotter surface. This is NOT related to climate change. Rather it's a temporary situation and once the economies pick up, we'll be back to normal.

CO2 is a different matter and it'll take years of reduced emissions to make a dent in the greenhouse gases.

@moderator2 Got it that you think this should be in the global warming, but that's not why I brought up the article. It's more of a temporary situation not really related.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
We are. The article refers to particulate pollution only, nothing about CO2. The particulate matter usually reflects some of the sunlight from reaching Earth's surface, so keeps it cooler than expected. Without the particulate matter, we may end up with more sunlight and hotter surface. This is NOT related to climate change. Rather it's a temporary situation and once the economies pick up, we'll be back to normal.

CO2 is a different matter and it'll take years of reduced emissions to make a dent in the greenhouse gases.

@moderator2 Got it that you think this should be in the global warming, but that's not why I brought up the article. It's more of a temporary situation not really related.
You're missing my point. CO2 emissions dropped because we stopped a lot of the economy.
If we keep the economy off, CO2 emissions will remain low.

I understand the particulate pollution to aid in global cooling, we know this from volcanic eruptions, that's also why some people are suggesting seeding the atmosphere with particulate pollution to cool the earth.
I don't think more pollution is necessarily the answer.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
The canary in the coal mine is laying on it's back with it's feet up in the air, but some people say it is "just resting".

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Taxes won't stop climate change.

They would provide funds to re-locate people in harm's way, strengthen infrastructure we depend on, and mitigate damage before or after it occurs.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
They aren't doing absolutely anything to help. all improvements come from private sector, vast majority from abroad, from countries where investment is actually encouraged.

All they are doing so far is increasing administrative costs by 18bln. We are just giving them more money to waste and they are doing incredible job wasting it.
Carbon tax, same as inflation tax hurts the lower and middle class. They are literally using it to give more money to rich friends. Granted, I don't know if it is on purpose or through sheer stupidity, but it doesn't matter. What counts is the outcome
I don't understand the fascination of governments with the idea of taking money from the poor to give it to the rich.
The wealth transfer from the poor to the rich over last couple of years have been going on at ridiculous pace. Fastest in history in fact, and it is driven by the government.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Private industry created the problem and have no inherent financial interest in providing a solution.

If government seizes tax dollars and doesn't spend them to address the problems, then we need to change the government.

Thus far, the accusations against the current government are based on giving taxpayers too much support.

That is odd, considering that support for individuals and businesses was the intention of the spending.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Oh no. The accusations against this government are
  • higher taxes for low income people
  • doubling administrative costs
  • highest deficit among developed countries, worst unemployment, 2nd worst GDP drop (shows money was wasted)
  • corruption
  • cover up for sexual assaults
  • stopping government in middle of the pandemic to stop investigation into corruption
  • request to introduce dictatorship for 2 years
  • breaking human rights
  • racism
  • worse record on climate change than Donald freaking Trump
(Trudeau's 1st term: 0.13% increase in greenhouse gas emissions)
(Trump's 1st term: 2.4% decrease in greenhouse gas emissions).

Those are just quick examples. I am sure others can come up with more
Trudeau is corrupt, has highest deficit in civilized world, worst unemployment, and climate record worse than Donald Trump. Those are all facts.
I understand it might be hard for you to put away the pompons and actually look at facts, but they are pretty damning. The current government is absolute failure by all known metrics.

Private industry has monetary incentive to decrease emissions. Investors provide them, customers provide them. Pure supply-demand equation provides them.
If that is not the case then Trudeau should be fired on the spot for having his government perform worse than Donald Trump on climate.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
PM Trudeau will be remembered as a great leader and PM. Another election win will move him up the list of long standing PMs.

The Conservatives threw Larry, Curly and Moe at Trudeau, and he already dispatched two of them to the hinterland and will add another this summer.

The Conservative Party doesn't even believe climate change is real and is still up for discussion, but that debate was closed a long time ago.

·
Banned
801 Posts
a argument could be made that we should increase CO2 to help crops grow
PM Trudeau will be remembered as a great leader and PM. Another election win will move him up the list of long standing PMs.

The Conservatives threw Larry, Curly and Moe at Trudeau, and he already dispatched two of them to the hinterland and will add another this summer.

The Conservative Party doesn't even believe climate change is real and is still up for discussion, but that debate was closed a long time ago.
Trudeau will be charged with crimes against humanity :) trump could have had 100% of the votes & the corruption would still give the vote to Biden. Do you really think Canada is any different ?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
He can do that easily.
Still can't let go of the pompons.
Just look at his response. There was zero actual arguments.
There was zero facts.
He can't refute the information given, because the information is accurate and correct.
Canadian government had worst economic response to the pandemic among civilized world
Trudeau has worse record on climate change than Trump does.
There are no facts that show Trudeau is anything other than inept, so he just has to stick to empty words.

Canada under Trudeau: 0.1% rise in greenhouse gases emission
USA under Trump: 2.5% reduction in greenhouse gases emission

·
Registered
4,260 Posts

Trudeau is a cuck.
And he has f(u)cked up this country.
I am embarrassed to be Canadian.

The whole world laughs at us. America thinks we are a bunch of pussies (solid facts). Britain/UK laughs that we just follow in their footsteps and will soon have CCTV everywhere. The eastern countries like India just use us and take advantage of how "nice" we are. And the other countries? They just watch and laugh at how horribly bad and B-rated this sh!tshow is =)

Trudeau may go down as a great PM, but not because he actually was. But because Canadians are cucked and brainwashed into believing he actually is.

How he even won a second term, I will never understand.

I assume Canada is liberal from this point forward. I can't ever see the conservatives winning again. We are bringing in more and more liberals and the conservatives are leaving. If only I could hitch a ride on one of those trains to get out of here...

Please, someone tell me exactly what makes Justin such a great PM?

And as it relates to the thread.... Lol.
I couldn't give 2 sh!ts about CO2, pollution or greenhouse gasses. China and other countries pollute more than we do and we have lots of trees. And they want me to pay for it? They want corps to pay for it who in turn reduce wages and cut costs or produce inferior product to make up for the expense? Lol, give me a break.

That's a future generation problem. Let them worry about it. After all, isn't that what the boomer politicians are doing about real estate? ;)

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I'd reply but there's a statue pulling down ceremony scheduled for tonite followed by a church we want to light up.I don't want to miss it or I'd be terrified of being cancelled.
Good luck with common sense though!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
^^
And as it relates to the thread.... Lol.
I couldn't give 2 sh!ts about CO2, pollution or greenhouse gasses. China and other countries pollute more than we do and we have lots of trees. And they want me to pay for it? They want corps to pay for it who in turn reduce wages and cut costs or produce inferior product to make up for the expense? Lol, give me a break.

That's a future generation problem.
Let them worry about it. After all, isn't that what the boomer politicians are doing about real estate? ;)
... sounds like someone ain't gonna to have kids or couldn't care less to have one. (y)

841 - 860 of 883 Posts