Canadian Money Forum banner

661 - 680 of 789 Posts

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Wrong timescale for climate change.
Look a the geological record, we've always had swings.

Also, since we're still coming out of an ice age, the global temperature should rise, because the ice age is ending.
So which is it? Temps are rising or they aren't?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
So which is it? Temps are rising or they aren't?
Both, depending on the timescale selected.
Generally we're warming, and ice is melting, as you'd expect as you approach the end of an ice age.

This is grade 2 science. As the end of the ice age approaches, the glaciers will retreat.

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
How do you know it is the end of the ice age ? Did some of those "fake" climate change scientists tell you that ?

It's all fake. There is no climate change. There was no past ice age and we aren't here.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised andrewf doesn't know this - it's readily available on Google search.

ltr
I'm not the one claiming otherwise. Climate change "skeptics" argue against each other:
-that the climate is not warming/actually cooling, or
-that the climate is warming, but humans have absolutely nothing to do with it, or
-that the climate is warming, and it's a Good Thing

The only thing they agree on is that we should keep burning fossil fuels with abandon.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm not the one claiming otherwise. Climate change "skeptics" argue against each other:
-that the climate is not warming/actually cooling, or
-that the climate is warming, but humans have absolutely nothing to do with it, or
-that the climate is warming, and it's a Good Thing

The only thing they agree on is that we should keep burning fossil fuels with abandon.
I assume you consider me a "climate change skeptic".

Climate change is inevitable. It happened for millions of years before people, and it will continue long after we're gone.

The climate has never been static.
Humans influence everything on the planet (and beyond).
I thought the "consensus" was that it was warming.

it's a mix of good and bad, like all things.
For Canada it turns out it's a net benefit

Of course we shouldn't burn with abandon, but if they're the most effective resource, and the benefit is greater than the cost, of we should use it.

Can you explain the opposite view?
Because apparently I don't understand it. It seems to be.

1. Even though we're at historic low temperatures, an increase is really bad, for everyone everywhere, with no upside at all.
2. We should never use fossil fuels, even if such usage would result in a greater benefit than harm?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
No idea where you get that idea. Just look at the chart. 1840-1880 (guessing, since I don't have the original dataset) don't have any points over 20C. As you move to the right on the chart, more and more points are over 20C and the lower bound is also moving upwards. It is clearly an upward trend.
Well if you check, the highest is May 1911 - 23.1.
The trend you speak of is probably due to the heat island effect.
Plus if you check other smaller cities where the heat island effect is presumably less or non existent, you don't get the effect you speak of. Moreover, I have been presented with graphs by alarmists that show temps going up at something like a 45 degree angle.

Check some other cities across Canada. www.yourenvironment.ca/

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Well if you check, the highest is May 1911 - 23.1.
The trend you speak of is probably due to the heat island effect.
Plus if you check other smaller cities where the heat island effect is presumably less or non existent, you don't get the effect you speak of.
LOL. All I did was tell you that there was a trend after you said there was no trend. Now you admit there's a trend and try to explain it away.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
LOL. All I did was tell you that there was a trend after you said there was no trend. Now you admit there's a trend and try to explain it away.
The "trend" you speak of hasn't breached the 1911 temperature, so actually I see no clear upward trend.

Where do alarmists get these graphs from which show the temps going up at a 45 degree angle?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The "trend" you speak of hasn't breached the 1911 temperature, so actually I see no clear upward trend.

Where do alarmists get these graphs from which show the temps going up at a 45 degree angle?

Draw a straight line and tilt it 45 degrees - easy. Doesn't take much convincing - the alarmists eat that stuff up.

ltr

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
Climate change has already made parts of the world too hot for the human body to withstand.

It is estimated that 3 billion people will have to move to other areas. One of the effects of climate change will be mass migrations of people.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm not saying there's a 45-degree angle. Just that the trend is upwards. I can't seem to find the dataset that your graph is referring to, but here's a similar graph for Canada-wide temps from 1948-2019:

Link for the above: Climate Trends and Variations Bulletin - Annual 2019 - Canada.ca

You can see that in 1948 the trend line was around -0.5 degrees and now it is around +1.3 degrees.

It doesn't bother me if people have a different opinion about global warming but it does bother me when they present "evidence" that's it's not taking place and just by looking at the evidence you can see that it is not "evidence" at all.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Climate change has already made parts of the world too hot for the human body to withstand.

It is estimated that 3 billion people will have to move to other areas. One of the effects of climate change will be mass migrations of people.

Trudeau is already preparing a plan to bring them all here. Free transportation to Canada. Free accommodation and medical care for at least the first year, etc. Might be the salvation of an otherwise moribund real estate market and give Air Canada something to do for awhile.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I'm not saying there's a 45-degree angle. Just that the trend is upwards. I can't seem to find the dataset that your graph is referring to, but here's a similar graph for Canada-wide temps from 1948-2019:

Link for the above: Climate Trends and Variations Bulletin - Annual 2019 - Canada.ca

You can see that in 1948 the trend line was around -0.5 degrees and now it is around +1.3 degrees.

It doesn't bother me if people have a different opinion about global warming but it does bother me when they present "evidence" that's it's not taking place and just by looking at the evidence you can see that it is not "evidence" at all.
1) I wonder why they start at 1948? Are they cherry picking?
2)

They don't explain where they are getting their raw data from. Weather station data doesn't show such a dramatic rise since 1948. They do say, however, that the warming they see is mostly in the north, and not along the southern border. In that case it seems like a regional phenomenon, not a global one.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

Environment Canada just recently was caught adjusting historic temperatures...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Some people just love to provide 'graphic evidence' that something is or is not correct. Of course the problem with that is that often it is all to easy to find 'graphic evidence' that will support any contention.

I prefer to rely on what I can see with my own eyes. So when for example, I see the glaciers receeding everywhere or I hear people who have lived in places like Alaska, the NWT, etc. for generations telling us that there is no doubt in their minds about what they are seeing just in their own lifetime in terms of climate change, I tend to place more trust in that kind of evidence.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-first-nations-climate-change-1.5468701

Those people do not care about statistics or graphs, they care about what is happening with their traditional subsistence lifestyle that is being highly impacted by the changes in climate they are experiencing.

661 - 680 of 789 Posts