Canadian Money Forum banner

601 - 620 of 630 Posts

·
Registered
15,849 Posts
The issue is James has bought in to the hype and propaganda as delivered by the spin artists in the PMO. I do believe carbon taxes will make a difference and I am supportive of behavioural change, but that is the glossy image part of current policy.
I guess you are not a fan of Canada's implementation of carbon taxes. I am open to improving our current policy, but I think all things considered we are on a good path. These are great first steps and we should constantly try to improve policy.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Nope, I'm just a sensible person who tells it the way I see it. It's not my problem that the cranky conservatives on this board can't see or appreciate how well the country is being run.

If you were able to step out of the Alberta / rural mind set for a moment (which I realize you cannot do) and assess Canada from just about any other perspective, including from an international standpoint, you would see that our country is doing great, with a very effective and capable government.

This is worth appreciating and I make a point of appreciating it on this board.
The accomplishments the Trudeau government have attained while having to repair the damage left by the divisive Harper has been very impressive indeed.

The Conservatives have an unacceptable policy on climate change that Canadians have rejected twice in Federal elections.

We shall see if Peter McKay is able to upgrade the Conservative policy away from the blind support of the fossil fuel industry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
an eventuality that scientists warn will expose some 350 million additional people to drought and push roughly 120 million people into extreme poverty by 2030.
I fully expect extreme poverty levels to continue declining, though at this rate of decline there soon won't be any people left in extreme poverty.

According to the most recent estimates, in 2015, 10 percent of the world’s population lived on less than US$1.90 a day, compared to 11 percent in 2013. That’s down from nearly 36 percent in 1990.

Nearly 1.1 billion fewer people are living in extreme poverty than in 1990. In 2015, 736 million people lived on less than $1.90 a day, down from 1.85 billion in 1990.
https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/poverty/overview

If 120 million people are pushed into extreme poverty, it will probably be caused by environmentalists and governments making energy unaffordable.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I guess you are not a fan of Canada's implementation of carbon taxes. I am open to improving our current policy, but I think all things considered we are on a good path. These are great first steps and we should constantly try to improve policy.
Am somewhat agnostic about whether there could have been a better plan given resistance from some provinces. I am concerned about what Ottawa is siphoning off (tax on a tax) and where that is going. But had to start somewhere and progress will be made. I am okay with what is in place for now.

I do very much disagree with the way it was announced, and especially the incredible and blatantly false comments from the most incompetent Environment Minister Canada probably has ever had. Was speechless what came out of her mouth much of the time and a good part of the reason I resisted the concept. I can support credible and logical policy AND intelligent articulation of a policy even if I don't agree initially, but heaven help us, Catherine was a disaster. I think she brought on some of the vitriol thrown her way, but not to the extent that was hurled at her. That was unconscionable. Regardless, I do thank Junior for purging her out of that Ministry.

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
Not quite my point.
The HYSTERIA isn't supported. There are people who will literally tell the entire world that climate change has stolen their lives. This is a problem.
Greta Thunberg.........Time magazine's Person of the Year 2019.

“We can’t just continue living as if there was no tomorrow, because there is a tomorrow,” she says, tugging on the sleeve of her blue sweatshirt. “That is all we are saying.
Exactly sags, this is just one of the sources of the hysteria that is causing the problem.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Exactly sags, this is just one of the sources of the hysteria that is causing the problem.
“But I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is.”

There is data mounting that all this climate hysteria is actually increasing suicide rates.
Their exaggerations and hysteria are hurting people. People are dying, lives are being ended.

And all you can do is live your priviledged life of luxury and complain about it.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Canada ports' sea level trends have remain essentially the same, the current year local rate of rise is the same as it was 100 years ago. There has been no acceleration, and certainly nothing close to the acceleration needed for the most sky is falling predictions.

on the contrary, *all* of your graphs without exception show a sea-level rise in canadian ports

the Halifax rise is alarming

st-francois quebec is a tiny isolated village on the far eastern tip of ile d'Orleans, some 100 km east of quebec city. It has nothing whatsoever to do with historical sea level data for the port of montreal.

Victoria:

Vancouver:

No data series close to Montreal, but the Quebec City area has minimal sea rise:

Halifax:

St Johns:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/plots/970-121_meantrend.png

·
Registered
115 Posts
on the contrary, *all* of your graphs without exception show a sea-level rise in canadian ports
Which I stated but the important part is the trend. The sea level has been rising at the same rate as a hundred years ago from the warming that started before the industrial age began. The alarmist predictions require a steep acceleration in the sea level rise, something that has yet to happen.

st-francois quebec is a tiny isolated village on the far eastern tip of ile d'Orleans, some 100 km east of quebec city. It has nothing whatsoever to do with historical sea level data for the port of montreal.
Yes, as I noted in my comment that it is in the Quebec City area because there aren't any stations in the Montreal area.

If Canadian ports are in trouble, it's because they never bothered to look into their past.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
I find it impressive that sea levels are rising so much faster in Halifax than Quebec City. If this keeps up it will soon be possible to water ski from Halifax to Quebec without a boat.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Sea levels are also falling in places...the earth is a pretty dynamic planet and constantly re arranging itself. Not much will happen unless Greenland land mass starts to melt but this winter it set new all time record lows (-76C) so pretty frozen.

disclaimer:
Of course we all still die in 11.5 years unless we can add more gas to our present end of times virus and get to croak sooner.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Too many don't understand that land masses rise or fall all around the planet and hence the variances in sea level changes. Of course, the climate alarmists data mine and use such data erroneously to suit their bias. Those islands in the Pacific are not really getting flooded by sea level rise. The main cause is land masses are submerging.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
For the scientifically challenged, NASA's Climate Kids explains to children how they measure sea levels from space.

https://climatekids.nasa.gov/sea-level/

NASA's Jason-3 satellite carries an instrument called a radar altimeter. It uses radio waves instead of a ruler to measure distances.

Here's how it works. Jason-3 bounces radio waves off the ocean surface. The satellite then times how long it takes for these signals to return. Scientists can use this measurement to calculate the distance between the satellite and the ocean surface in that particular location.

Jason-3 orbits about 800 miles (1,300 kilometers) above Earth. Even from that far away, Jason-3 can measure the distance from itself to the ocean surface to within about one inch (about three centimeters).

Jason-3 also has instruments that allow scientists to measure the distance from the satellite to the center of Earth.

By subtracting the first distance (between the satellite and ocean surface) from the second distance (between the satellite and Earth's center), we can calculate the distance from the ocean surface to Earth's center.

The satellite constantly zips over new portions of the planet. In about 10 days, it measures ocean height over the entire Earth. Finding an average of all those measurements gives an average sea level for the whole planet.

During the next 10 days, Jason-3 does it all over again – and again and again, year after year! By seeing how the average distance from the top of the ocean to the center of the Earth increases over time, we can measure how much and how quickly sea level is rising.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For the scientifically challenged, NASA's Climate Kids explains to children how they measure sea levels from space.
Jason-3 orbits about 800 miles (1,300 kilometers) above Earth. Even from that far away, Jason-3 can measure the distance from itself to the ocean surface to within about one inch (about three centimeters).[/I]
An error that is far larger than the rate of change, making it effectively useless compared to the much more accurate readings at ports.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The world is changing, we can yell and scream that we don't want it to change.

The earth is changing, we have to adapt.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
An error that is far larger than the rate of change, making it effectively useless compared to the much more accurate readings at ports.
If there was an error produced by the 1 inch margin of error, it would be reflected consistently in all the historical trending data and would be irrelevant.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If there was an error produced by the 1 inch margin of error, it would be reflected consistently in all the historical trending data and would be irrelevant.
That depends on the nature of the error distribution, its very like that a significant percentage of the readings are much more than 3 cm away.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
A high-level global group of more than 700 prominent climate scientists and professionals (‘Global CLINTEL Group’) has submitted a declaration that there is no climate emergency.

https://clintel.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/WCD-A4versionMADRIDscience.pdf

We see an interesting and relevant example in IPCC’s report of 2018. If the CO2 sensitivity is set to zero, the modeled global warming is zero. This means that: “In IPCC’s models the modelers have set the global warming from natural sources to zero”. This is completely ignoring the past, where warming was always natural. In other words, the model-ers have explicitly assumed that any global warming must come exclusively from anthropogenic (human-made) CO2.

The title ‘climate scientist’ was invented ±30 years ago, but it does not exist as a profession.

But true scientific research is dispassionate. The aim of the IPCC program should have been to collect and analyze all relevant information, especially that which contradicts the CO2-driven models.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
A high-level global group of more than 700 prominent climate scientists and professionals (‘Global CLINTEL Group’) has submitted a declaration that there is no climate emergency.

https://clintel.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/WCD-A4versionMADRIDscience.pdf

We see an interesting and relevant example in IPCC’s report of 2018. If the CO2 sensitivity is set to zero, the modeled global warming is zero. This means that: “In IPCC’s models the modelers have set the global warming from natural sources to zero”. This is completely ignoring the past, where warming was always natural. In other words, the model-ers have explicitly assumed that any global warming must come exclusively from anthropogenic (human-made) CO2.

The title ‘climate scientist’ was invented ±30 years ago, but it does not exist as a profession.

But true scientific research is dispassionate. The aim of the IPCC program should have been to collect and analyze all relevant information, especially that which contradicts the CO2-driven models.
It's IPCC, they even took the phrasing.
It could have been soemthing about Global Environment or soemthing
if they focused on REAL pollution or at least stayed ab it more science based they'd have some credibility.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
The Global CINTEL organization is founded by a past executive of the Shell oil company.

601 - 620 of 630 Posts