Canadian Money Forum banner

581 - 600 of 630 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
You do realize the Lib's removed the actual temperatures recorded prior 1957 & replaced the readings with computer smoothed results? Warmest Canadian temperatures were late 1800's & 1930's so not much new.
Yup, bad days ahead when the government washes real data away for their own agenda.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There is a better record of temperatures in Canada at the Government of Canada website.

Temperatures have increased across Canada. The rate of warming in Canada is about double the global average, with warming occurring even faster in northern Canada.

[I]The average (mean) annual temperature in Canada increased by 1.7 °C from 1948 to 2016, about double the global rate. Warming has been even stronger in the north. The average annual temperature in northern Canada (north of 60 degrees latitude) has risen by 2.3 °C over this same period, about triple the global rate.

Future changes in temperature will be determined mainly by the amount of greenhouse gases emitted. There is a large range of possible futures. These are described by different emissions scenarios. In general, higher global emissions scenarios project greater warming.

Compared to the recent past (1986 to 2005), average annual temperature in Canada is projected to increase between 1.8 °C and 6.3 °C by the end of the century. However, projected temperature changes vary regionally and by season. Northern Canada is expected to continue experiencing stronger warming than the rest of Canada, especially in the winter.[/I]

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/climate-change/canadian-centre-climate-services/basics/trends-projections/changes-temperature.html
The real data was erased, therefore none of the numbers are accurate and none of the predictions are valid. That's how science works....it uses actual data, not made up numbers.

You had no real argument before, but now you have no argument at all.

·
Registered
15,849 Posts
And the people here that talk about "science" all the time are silent. It's almost like they approve of erasing data.
Reminds me of when Harper threw out tons of original scientific material from libraries across Canada. He targeted the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, which researches health of water bodies including contamination of water resources, plus climate change science. Harper had a large number of DFO libraries closed, and the contents thrown in the trash. There was just about no money saved for the taxpayer (the original rationale) which made many people suspect this was a pro-industry, anti-scientific agenda.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Reminds me of when Harper threw out tons of original scientific material from libraries across Canada. He targeted the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, which researches health of water bodies including contamination of water resources, plus climate change science. Harper had a large number of DFO libraries closed, and the contents thrown in the trash. There was just about no money saved for the taxpayer (the original rationale) which made many people suspect this was a pro-industry, anti-scientific agenda.
Depending what the data was, he likely shouldn't have done that either.

The point is that global warming hysteria isn't backed by science.
Sure we need to take better care of the environment, but making claims that aren't supported by good data is not scientific.

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
The point is that global warming hysteria isn't backed by science.
Actually it is, data does show natural waming and cooling trends for he planet. The part that is not proven (very exaggerated) is the how much effect green house gases play a roll in the temperature change.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Actually it is, data does show natural waming and cooling trends for he planet. The part that is not proven (very exaggerated) is the how much effect green house gases play a roll in the temperature change.
Not quite my point.
The HYSTERIA isn't supported. There are people who will literally tell the entire world that climate change has stolen their lives. This is a problem.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Excellent, this is great news for Canada!
Increase in arable land, lower heating requirements for housing, too bad I'm not likely to live long enough to get all the benefits, but at least my grandkids will!
Nevermind that Victoria, Vancouver, Montreal, Halifax, St Johns, etc. will face serious sea-level rise. Including all of Canada's port infrastructure.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Not quite my point.
The HYSTERIA isn't supported. There are people who will literally tell the entire world that climate change has stolen their lives. This is a problem.
The hysteria is clearly out of hand. The group of what appear to be mostly impressionable teens and young 20somethings have had their lives irresponsibly troubled, deflected and derailed by the hype from vested interests and conspirators. There is no question in my mind that we are responsible for the acceleration in the rate of climate change but the excesses of alarmism are really over-the-top. Hopefully, saner voices will prevail in 5 years or so and more rational response policies to mitigate climate impacts can be developed.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
Not quite my point.
Greta Thunberg.........Time magazine's Person of the Year 2019.

“We can’t just continue living as if there was no tomorrow, because there is a tomorrow,” she says, tugging on the sleeve of her blue sweatshirt. “That is all we are saying.

By September 2019, the climate strikes had spread beyond northern Europe. In New York City, 250,000 reportedly marched in Battery Park and outside City Hall. In London, 100,000 swarmed the streets near Westminster Abbey, in the shadow of Big Ben. In Germany, a total of 1.4 million people took to the streets, with thousands flooding the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin and marching in nearly 600 other cities and towns across the country. From Antarctica to Papua New Guinea, from Kabul to Johannesburg, an estimated 4 million people of all ages showed up to protest.

Unless they agree on transformative action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the world’s temperature rise since the Industrial Revolution will hit the 1.5°C mark—an eventuality that scientists warn will expose some 350 million additional people to drought and push roughly 120 million people into extreme poverty by 2030. For every fraction of a degree that temperatures increase, these problems will worsen. This is not fearmongering; this is science.

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2019-greta-thunberg/

·
Registered
15,849 Posts
Not quite my point.
And we can thank our excellent leadership, the Trudeau team, for taking a middle of the road approach. Instead of a more aggressive and impactful carbon strategul, Trudeau took the milder approach of rather low carbon taxes. This is good, because it means Canada is on track to pricing carbon without radical changes in the economy.

This even and moderate approach is the better way. The NDP and Greens criticized Trudeau for being ineffective, with environmental policies which aren't strong enough, but I think Trudeau has the right idea.

In fact, Canada's economy has diversified so well (also thanks to Trudeau) that the energy sector is no longer a key driver of GDP. Even our loonie has stopped correlating with oil! These are nice changes happening in the country... moderately enacting stronger environmental policies, without overreaction. Sufficient economic diversification so that the nation isn't just one story (energy).

Really good management from the Trudeau government on this. For years, the Conservatives let us down on all of these fronts and finally we are doing things right again. The Harper style of pro-oil, anti-environmental thinking would be disastrous to Canada.

·
Registered
15,849 Posts
Are you on the PMO payroll?
Nope, I'm just a sensible person who tells it the way I see it. It's not my problem that the cranky conservatives on this board can't see or appreciate how well the country is being run.

If you were able to step out of the Alberta / rural mind set for a moment (which I realize you cannot do) and assess Canada from just about any other perspective, including from an international standpoint, you would see that our country is doing great, with a very effective and capable government.

This is worth appreciating and I make a point of appreciating it on this board.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I haven't been in Alberta for many years, and about 5 decades since I've been associated with a rural environment. I suggest your response is more typical of narrow views and mindset trying to 'characterize' people about things you don't like or don't agree with, or even understand. But we've been down this road before. Believe in your own delusions. It seems to make you happy.

P.S. I am quite happy in my own wine and lake country environment in one of the most temperate climates in the country, which by the way can swing red or blue. Nothing y'all want to fret about has much impact for us here.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
The issue is James has bought in to the hype and propaganda as delivered by the spin artists in the PMO. I do believe carbon taxes will make a difference and I am supportive of behavioural change, but that is the glossy image part of current policy.

What is really needed is major policy development and movement in infrastructure spend to mitigate the impacts of inevitable climate change before the impacts hit in a significant way. But there is nothing sexy about that, so we shall blunder on not having a long term plan for mitigation and adaptation measures.

The PMO talks about planting trees forgetting the forestry industry has been planting way more trees on an ongoing basis for years. Nor is there any acknowledgement that forest renewal is one of the best carbon sinks we can actually have. It is important to harvest older growing trees to discourage decay and rot which releases carbon into the air, and plant new seedlings of which higher growth rates takes carbon out of the system. All those west coast old growth forests need to be harvested in order to actually have a net positive in carbon removal, rather than carbon negative due to decay and rot. Imagine a policy advocating that! Also, build way more construction out of lumber which sequesters carbon for a long time rather than build with concrete which is carbon intensive. BC is leading edge on building to 12 storeys now using wood products and it has attracted Asian interest. I have not heard any hype or policy support coming out of Ottawa on any of this.....

Those are just examples of current PMO behaviour. A lot of shine and gloss and political expediency rather than enough truly effective measures to reduce carbon footprint.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nevermind that Victoria, Vancouver, Montreal, Halifax, St Johns, etc. will face serious sea-level rise. Including all of Canada's port infrastructure.
Canada ports' sea level trends have remain essentially the same, the current year local rate of rise is the same as it was 100 years ago. There has been no acceleration, and certainly nothing close to the acceleration needed for the most sky is falling predictions.

Victoria:

Vancouver:

No data series close to Montreal, but the Quebec City area has minimal sea rise:

Halifax:

St Johns:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/plots/970-121_meantrend.png

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
We also need to start replacing our (and USA) thermal coal exports with oil & LNG exports, probably the one thing Canada could do to move the needle on world wide CO2 levels. Domestic initiatives are pretty meaningless but play well to a receptive audience.

581 - 600 of 630 Posts