Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The youngest generation. There are 2 of them in my extended family. They would be grand-nieces to me. Or is it great-nieces?
Ages 4 & 1.5 yrs.

In my birth family, there 3: silent, baby boomers and generation X since my youngest sister is 1 decade younger than I.

So this known dr. journalist interviews his Gen. Z daughter: Dr. Sanjay Gupta: I'm on a mission to understand my daughters' digital lives in season 6 of my podcast "Chasing Life" | CNN Teen thinks millenials have best worlds since they didn't get iphones till later and can still interact with world in person /without digital device hook-in all the time.
Font Leisure Door Advertising Recreation

· Registered
9,366 Posts
The screens and technology isn't the problem - rather how they are used. Consuming is the worst part and that is all boomers could do with TV and they consumed a lot of TV.

There were boomers who watched way too much CNN and cable TV just like there are zoomers who spend way too much time consuming TikTok. Unlike cable TV from the boomer era - productive things are done on modern screens rather than just consuming like 24/7 CNN mainstream media. You can read, learn, communicate, create, build etc.

The irony that this person has a digital podcast in their basement exposing their children to the internet world as if they don't use screens for productive things themselves.

· Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I actually think the millenials have experienced best of both worlds...where they didn't grow up as baby hooked to an iphone. And still enjoy face to face interaction, plus have great computer literacy. My eldest niece and nephew are millenials. Both married. I of them has 2 very young children.

Always remember, the achievements of younger generation, regardless of which generation, doesn't happen in a vacuum. They did learn from someone for certain things.

What I will say doesn't have anything to do with these generational tags:

In our family, it's more differences between immigrant parents/adults, those born in CAnada and 2 generations removed from immigrant grandparents. Particularily from certain countries and what life was like in Canada (or U.S.) for immigrant parents, then how next generation adjusts /kicks *** forward with same work ethic (if they choose).

· Registered
3,198 Posts
I remember a similar comparison being made a decade ago between young gen xers and young millenials. Xers were touted as having the best of both worlds as they were in school before the before the internet came and "ruined" our lives. These generational comparisons are nothing new. I also see a lot of memes that portrayed millenials as demographic that didn't understand the world now being directed at millenials. The same memes often portrayed boomers as out of touch. Now that online role is being played by Gen X. The more things change the more it stays the same. Technology and tools improve but the social stigmas don't. Likely been this way since the discovery of fire and invention of the wheel.

· Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I remember a similar comparison being made a decade ago between young gen xers and young millenials. Xers were touted as having the best of both worlds as they were in school before the before the internet came and "ruined" our lives. These generational comparisons are nothing new. I also see a lot of memes that portrayed millenials as demographic that didn't understand the world now being directed at millenials. The same memes often portrayed boomers as out of touch. Now that online role is being played by Gen X. The more things change the more it stays the same. Technology and tools improve but the social stigmas don't. Likely been this way since the discovery of fire and invention of the wheel.
Well, I feel incredible lucky that I didn't experience the hardship of being an immigrant and cultural shock, etc. BUT I did experience lst hand the linguistic shock of not understanding English, the ESL road to get beyond that.

So though born and raised whole time in Canada, I didn't learn nor understand English until in kindergarten. I was put there and no warning. So I genuinely know how immigrants feel lost without either official language. I had 3 years of ESL support in addition to the full classes kindergarten to gr.2.

Being 2nd generation but born here, automatically gives you 1 foot in the world to experience /live/witness what immigrant parents must cope with and the other foot also Canadian-born, accelerates socialization, etc. It prevented me from becoming ever feeling snooty, entitled, clueless and coddled.

When my sister was in medical school, when she encountered other peers from clearly wealthy families, it amused her some of their high-flown ideas. Meanwhile she has to deal with mom, gr. 10 education who barely understands any English.

· Registered
3,198 Posts
@jlunfirst I think you have pointed out a difference that future generations have to offer this country. My observation is that (my offspring is in his early teens) this next generation will have a better understanding of a larger world than previous generations. In many parts of Canada there were few families outside of larger urban centres that had communities with ethnic diversity. Perhaps at some point we will become the true "melting pot" we claim to be. Hopefully deglobalization does not thwart this evolution. Not sure why humans fear differences.

· Registered
13,349 Posts
I have quite a bit of exposure to Gen Alpha and some just a bit over Alpha, since I volunteer with this group.

They are far more computer literate in some ways, and less so in others.
It's "normal" for a 8 or 9yr old to get a research project make a slideshow with graphics, transitions and present it.

They're being fed a lot of "information" and know that a lot of it is BS, and they're confused and wading through it.
They seem much more skeptical at younger ages. I think they have better filters than we did at those ages.
Some are quite aware that the real story isn't the headline.

They're more comfortable with rapid shifts, they can watch tiktoks or youtube shorts endlessly, those drive me crazy.

They are in some ways more self aware, and more able to communicate their needs.
They are sensitive to others.
They're also wildly stressed out.

· Registered
9,366 Posts
They're more comfortable with rapid shifts, they can watch tiktoks or youtube shorts endlessly, those drive me crazy.

They are in some ways more self aware, and more able to communicate their needs.
Older generations seemed content to watch 24/7 soundbites that drive home a specific narrative. My grandparents lived in a rural area and watched the local news every evening. That local news was trusted 100% because there was no alternative perspective so it effectively created their reality of the entire world.

Difference is the younger generation have access to endless narratives driven by engagement algorithm (but also filtered by big tech or TikToks-China etc) Older generation was ignorantly bliss to be fed a single narrative and it kept most on the same cohesive page of opinion etc - less stress.

I'm enjoying long form podcasts such as Lex Friedman while exercising. There's always far more nuance to any situation than mainstream media soundbites or TikTok/YouTube shorts can provide. Feels more like reading a good book vs soundbites.

I think they'll have some more awareness, but not necessarily understanding.
One interesting thing is the younger generation can meet people from around the world and have very similar culture because of the internet. I can see why China wants to control the "internet narrative" because it is definitely influenced by big tech which was mostly american. This is why Canada/US are trying to ban TikTok same as China tries to ban Facebook

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Boomers: Only invest in blue chip companies with a long record of good corporate performance.

Gen X: Throw everything you can into a portfolio. The more the better!

Millennials: Crypto is an investment.

Gen Alpha: Blowing up a stack of cash with C4 explosive is the best way to get rich instantaneously.

· Registered
9,366 Posts
Boomers: Only invest in blue chip companies with a long record of good corporate performance.

Gen X: Throw everything you can into a portfolio. The more the better!

Millennials: Crypto is an investment.

Gen Alpha: Blowing up a stack of cash with C4 explosive is the best way to get rich instantaneously.
People are pushed out further on the risk curve the more desperate they get.

The further down the fiat pyramid scheme you end up with a wheelbarrow of fiat to buy a tank of gas and people are willing to suicide for allah for a chance at a good life. The boomers could literally get a decent return from buying a bungalow in Saskatchewan or using a good old savings account.

Blue chip companies like GE have gone to crap and who wants to pay $500k for a bungalow surrounded by infinite wheat fields.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
People are pushed out further on the risk curve the more desperate they get.
Rubbish. Do you think times were great in the 30s, 40s, 50s? It's way, way easier to save now than it was in the 80s or before.

There are still blue chip investors around. Guys like me.

Very few people have sufficient patience to invest. Loads of people want to get rich quickly and they claim they are doing just that, although they have been at it for many years and they don't seem to be getting rich? At least, I don't see them discussing anything retirement related.

The difference comes down to attention span. It used to be low. Now there is no attention span.

· Registered
9,366 Posts

Very few people have sufficient patience to invest. Loads of people want to get rich quickly and they claim they are doing just that, although they have been at it for many years and they don't seem to be getting rich? At least, I don't see them discussing anything retirement related.

The difference comes down to attention span. It used to be low. Now there is no attention span.
I did the blue chip thing until I had a solid base that gave me flexibility to diversify to many other things as well - at less than half the age you retired. You can go out on the risk curve at that point.

We have +10% attrition rate at the moment so people are definitely retiring early - it's known as the great resignation it's opening up lots of new opportunity and change. Lots of people who could retire young continue working because in your 30s you can only spend so much time on the beach. I also lived in Saskatchewan twice so I can understand the allure of wanting to GTFO ASAP because the wheat field to beach ratio is pretty low.

Even the retired boomers are back on here complaining about the "riff raff" investing habits instead of enjoying retirement 😆 Not sure if out of jealousy or what I'm just young enough to understand the different world they're starting in.

· Registered
3,198 Posts
I have quite a bit of exposure to Gen Alpha and some just a bit over Alpha, since I volunteer with this group.

They are far more computer literate in some ways, and less so in others.
It's "normal" for a 8 or 9yr old to get a research project make a slideshow with graphics, transitions and present it.

They're being fed a lot of "information" and know that a lot of it is BS, and they're confused and wading through it.
They seem much more skeptical at younger ages. I think they have better filters than we did at those ages.
Some are quite aware that the real story isn't the headline.

100%

· Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rubbish. Do you think times were great in the 30s, 40s, 50s? It's way, way easier to save now than it was in the 80s or before.

The stock market increasingly reflects significantly faster movement and the way how people talk about their self-directed investing accounts, with click of button, reflects that lack of patience and if not also, not enough attention span for certain things.

· Registered
4,108 Posts
Teen thinks millenials have best worlds since they didn't get iphones till later and can still interact with world in person /without digital device hook-in all the time.
Every generation thinks that they have it the worst and other generations had it easier, and they then cherry pick random facts to prove their point. A different perspective is not to try and say what better or worse, but rather look at the differences in a larger context.
The most eye opening response to "When I was growing up, I didn't... X (some complaint about youth these days) is the world that we grew in no longer exists for the current generation. Every generation lives in a different world than the previous and needs to adjust. There are pros and cons to all of it.

· Registered
13,349 Posts
Every generation thinks that they have it the worst and other generations had it easier, and they then cherry pick random facts to prove their point. A different perspective is not to try and say what better or worse, but rather look at the differences in a larger context.
The most eye opening response to "When I was growing up, I didn't... X (some complaint about youth these days) is the world that we grew in no longer exists for the current generation. Every generation lives in a different world than the previous and needs to adjust. There are pros and cons to all of it.
My generation got pretty lucky, though there was all the gloom and doom.
Oh no acid rain, the ozone layer, first generation to have it worse than their parents, aids .. blah blah blah.

It was still an awesome time.

· Registered
9,366 Posts
The stock market increasingly reflects significantly faster movement and the way how people talk about their self-directed investing accounts, with click of button, reflects that lack of patience and if not also, not enough attention span for certain things.
If all the young people want cool stocks like Tesla while the old patience people hold things like GM stocks and silver?

The value of any investment is derived from how much someone else will pay you for it. As the elder estates are sold off for simplicity or whatever reason there is less and less demand for old trends.

It actually impacts the markets. Tesla has more money to spend than GM just because it is trendy and people want to own it. The trend is your friend. Don't buy Nokia thinking everyone else is wrong.

The younger thinking will only increase as they earn more buying power while the old way of buying GE or KO and holding for decades goes out of style.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts