Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okaaaay....on to the lawn
Both these lawn repair products are on sale here this week. Normally I wouldn't bother...but this year is, well, ....different. Anyone have any experience with them? Either of them any good? appreciate input.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Yeah, once Canada banned us from using Weed-n-Feed, you may as well give up on your lawn with respect to weeds. The good news is that everyone else is in the same boat, so don't worry about it.

All these products are useless in removing weeds. Best to simply apply a lawn fertilizer of your choice and enjoy all the wonderful yellow flowers that prevail.

ltr

·
Registered
698 Posts
okaaaay....on to the lawn
Both these lawn repair products are on sale here this week. Normally I wouldn't bother...but this year is, well, ....different. Anyone have any experience with them? Either of them any good? appreciate input.

the first looks like a fertilizer where the second has some seeds in it.

what issues are you facing? Weeds or thin/bald spots?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok. agree about the weed'n'feed products. they were the best!
I'm keeping ahead of the weeds more or less, mostly its dandelion & what we call chickweed, which is relentless! so, no, weeds are not the big problem. the lawn just looks kinda blah...some thin, bald, & "dead-looking" spots.
its not a big lawn. I do fertilize, but thought I might try one of these types of products, to see if I can spruce it up & maybe thicken it up - a quick over-seeding job maybe?
yeah, maybe the Scotts, with the seeds is a better option for me...

·
Registered
185 Posts
A lot of my neighbors have lawns that are absolutely spotless, not a single dandelion. I strongly suspect they are using illegal chemicals from the US, there's no other way. Other neighbors' lawns are pretty much entirely yellow. Mine is sort of in between. I overseeded so I got some pretty thick grass which has made it harder for dandelions to grow but I still got a few.

·
Registered
698 Posts
We tried a professional service last year for multiple rounds of Fertilizer and multiple rounds of weed treatment. It did some improvements. We’re doing it again this year before likely going back to self serve next year. For some reason, I wanted proof that the pros could make it look better, but before started on my own. I’ve always been cheap with fertilizer and weed treatment when doing it myself.

I will say the weed treatment used was the iron-based solution similar to weed-be-gon. It worked very well at killing almost all the weeds. It takes a few days though. Given the retail price of weed-be-gon in my area, I suspect the pros are losing money on the weed treatment , but more than make up for it on the fertilizer treatment. Problem is, they won’t do the weed treatment in isolation.

we do have some weaker and bare spots. I was going to do a re-seed, but it’s been cold this month, and I think it will warm up quickly beyond the ideal seeding temps. I read consistent temps around 15-20 are preferred, which is what you normally get in May, but not this year.

im going to re-seed in the fall, with a peat moss base layer (to retain moisture), then seed and top soil.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Between our lawn and our neighbour's to one side, there is no fence in our front yards. There is a definite line that can easily by seen between the two however in the greenness of the lawns each spring. Our lawn is greener than our neighbours. Some lawns on other nearby properties are yellowish and some have large amounts of dandelions. We get perhaps 4 or 5 dandelions per WEEK popping up around now. So I would say we can be justly proud of our lawn vs. others.

So what's the difference? Well, first, you have people who give up on weeds. They get exactly what they expect. Then you have people who are too cheap to regularly weed kill, fertilize and over seed. Finally and this one is controversial to some, you have people who do things that adversely affect their lawn, like rolling it and collecting all grass cuttings and leaf fall.

Here is what we do that results in our having a green, thick and healthy lawn. We have a professional who comes every year to weed kill different weed types at different times. One size does not fit all. He uses different products for different weed types like dandelions, crab grass, clover and also grubs. A lawn full of grubs will attract raccoons etc. who will tear up a whole lot of lawn in even one night, to get to the grubs.

We fertilize 3 times a year. Once in spring around now, once in mid-summer and once in the fall. We use Scotts Turf Builder Pro in the spring, Summer Guard in summer and Turf Builder Fall in the.....you guessed it, Fall.

We never roll our lawn and I just shake my head when I see neighbours rolling. All you do is compact the soil making it harder for the roots to grow. Strong roots make for a healthier lawn.

We do not collect any grass cuttings, I use a mulching blade on our lawn tractor and make a couple of passes over the cuttings each time I cut the lawn. We have not removed leaves in years. We get a LOT of leaves as both on our property and around us, there are maples and beech trees. Nevertheless, I mulch all the leaves each fall.

Leaf mulching just means I make multiple passes over the leaves until they are reduced to dime size pieces. Generally speaking, with the first rain after that, the mulched leaves 'disappear' into the ground. Just after being mulched it looks like a fine brown carpet is on top of the lawn. Leaf mulch encourages the worms who are one of the best natural lawn keepers you can have and they don't even have to be paid to do the work.

Some areas such as under large trees are harder to get grass to grow. They require repeated overseeding each year to remain 'reasonable'. I only ever overseed a small area at a time and they have to be watered by hand with a hose each day for a week. A soft watering (wide setting on nozzle) for a few minutes, not a 'soaking' for a half hour with a sprinkler.

Overall watering of the lawn with a sprinkler is something I rarely do. Last year I did not use a sprinkler once on our lawns. Grass will go brown during a prolonged dry spell. So what? To stay green, grass needs about 1 inch per week. I use a rain gauge and pay attention to it. One short rain a week usually gives you an inch. Grass can go 6-8 weeks without rain and without doing harm. When it rains, it will go green again.

Think about the side of of a road. They never get watered and yet they come up green again every year. Watering a lawn frequently may please you aesthetically, but it is not needed to maintain a healthy lawn. Over-watering will reduce the growth of deep, healthy roots.

So there you go, our formula for the best looking lawn in the neighbourhood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts