Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Going short AMC ... I bought some put options on AMC. Currently the stock trades at $8.67 and I bought a March expiration put contract at $0.90. This is insanely risky, and I figure that if AMC stays above $7 that I will lose all this money. However if AMC falls significantly, more than 20% in the coming days, I think this contract should increase significantly.
I closed my "short". AMC stock was at $6.08 which was roughly my $6 price target, and I sold my puts at $1.14. So overall from start to end, the stock fell 30% and my puts gained 27% which is pretty good over just a couple days. Pretty much played out as I had hoped!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I try to keep my fun money down to less than 0.5% of my investment portfolio. My most recent acquisition was FLT (Drone Delivery Canada). It's done pretty well so far!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I purchased a stock maybe 5 yrs ago and it was medical related but did not work out. The company then sold its assets to a company called Spectral Medical (TSX: EDT) which has had a number of ups and downs but more recently has been on an upward trend. I am not able to explain the products they have and what stage of approval they have but it seems to be finally starting its move upwards. The company seems legit and I'm holding it for the long term. You may wish to take a look at it and form your own conclusions. Good luck.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I try to keep my fun money down to less than 0.5% of my investment portfolio. My most recent acquisition was FLT (Drone Delivery Canada). It's done pretty well so far!
The 0.5% sounds like a nice limit for gambling/fun. It's small enough that you really could lose it all without really causing a dent in your portfolio. I was considering 1% but I think it's too high.

Congrats on FLT. That's a pretty ridiculous chart!

Note the dates here ... isn't it amazing how everything started running like crazy around the same time, November/December. The timing of your FLT rally aligns very closely to GameStop, FCEL, and even HMMJ and XEG (of all things!). It really seems that stock investors all went mad around November/December and started buying any ticker they could find.

What an exciting and stupid time this is, in markets.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have some extra USD sitting on my trading account and I've been considering throwing it into a Cannabis related stock. I feel like this is an area that could be interesting to be a part of as cannabis and related products are gradually coming out of the shadows and becoming more mainstream (and legal).
Just need to determine which company to bet on and then cross my fingers and see how she goes. 🤞

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
An update on my gambles

Bitcoin is $980 ... gained $380
American Airlines is $590 .... lost $10
Bombardier is $750 ... lost $150

Only the Bitcoin slot machine is paying off at the moment. Now if only I could find a waitress to bring me free drinks!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Figured I'd post an update too.
TLT.V - Theralase Technologies. I bought at .22/share, it doubled almost immediately but I held on, and now, 6 years later, it's .23/share. LOL.

HBLK - Blockchain ETF.
EAGB - Canadian version of ARKG, the ARK genomics ETF.
TLT.V - up from .23 a share to .32 a share. 39% increase in a month! Still holding. Honestly don't expect much from this one, but I bought it in my TD account, so it's a $10 commission to sell, which has deterred me from selling for over 6 years.
HBLK - this was worth $17.43/share on Jan 23 when I posted. Today, $25.32. This has been doing amazing. 45% increase if I did my math right.
EAGB - this was worth $30.16/share on Jan 23. Today, $29.05. Meh. -4%.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Wow this is quite the chart. I had not heard of HBLK before... it's a tiny ETF (only $41 million in assets) that invests in a collection of crypto coin related stocks. Very interesting.

This might actually be a better way to invest in "crypto coinz are the future" since it's investing in diversified equities in that space. Kind of like how XEG is a better way to invest in O&G than trying to buy individual oil futures.

Very interesting. This is going on my legitimate watch list.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Very interesting. This is going on my legitimate watch list.
I've been using ETFs like this to get some great ideas. A lot of the holdings are typical big tech/finance stocks that happen to be dabbling in blockchain

Also interesting that some of them are US based companies listed on the TSX so they were easy to add to TFSA

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
had not heard of HBLK before... it's a tiny ETF (only $41 million in assets) that invests in a collection of crypto coin related stocks.
You can also look at HBGD. I like that one. Both on are my watchlist of potential investments.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
You can also look at HBGD. I like that one. Both on are my watchlist of potential investments.
HBLK is currently over twice the assets under management of HBGD. But yeah, another interesting one. I have to be careful though... I somewhat work in this sector. Maybe that means I should not invest in them at all.

Worth watching and waiting. If crypto coinz really turn out to be the future, then these will become multi-decade trends where companies become very profitable and keep increasing in share price.

This means it's safe to wait and see. If this stuff really is going to be around (and profitable) for the next 50 years, then it hardly matters that you catch the first 5 or even 10 years of it. If there's still another 40 years of business profits to come from this sector, then a diversified portfolio of related equities should have great performance for many decades to come.

Imagine when "computer-related stocks" first appeared in the 1970s. Did it even matter if you were invested in the first decade? Nope, who cares ... even if you got in 10 years later, or even 20 years late, you'd still have excellent returns.

Sometimes it's more important to wait and check that something isn't just a stupid fad or unhinged mania

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I read some whitepapers on the Blockchain industry and it is forecasting some amazing growth for the next few years ~ 67% cagr. This might be the best growth industry overall.

There are some companies that could do well like Hive Blockchain solutions that are a little pricey now up 1,700% over a year. The ETFs are up ~ 170% in comparison.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Hive has done very well in my TFSA. I chose it over some of the more popular US miners because electricity is cheaper in Canada. I don't like crypto mining or BTC I think more efficient and advanced blockchains should make it irrelevant but it seems to be all that most people can handle for now.

Voyager and Galaxy have also done well. Unfortunate that Galaxy is only 3rd to get an ETF approved instead of first and Voyager has been a victim of its own success by getting bombarded with new signups. The blockchain stocks in the US seem more hyped up so I'm unclear why these 2 are traded on TSX

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hive has done very well in my TFSA. I chose it over some of the more popular US miners because electricity is cheaper in Canada. I don't like crypto mining or BTC I think more efficient and advanced blockchains should make it irrelevant but it seems to be all that most people can handle for now.

Voyager and Galaxy have also done well. Unfortunate that Galaxy is only 3rd to get an ETF approved instead of first and Voyager has been a victim of its own success by getting bombarded with new signups. The blockchain stocks in the US seem more hyped up so I'm unclear why these 2 are traded on TSX
I sort of avoided this area because it is so complex and is like learning an entire new language but the returns look too good to ignore.

I think Blockchain is a little less risky then Bitcoin(a digital asset) itself as they are sort of the platform providers that allow the trading and mining of all kinds of digital assets. At this stage it looks like there is so much demand there is room for all to prosper so you don't need to discern so much which miners have competitive advantages.

I may add a .5% position in HIVE (it looks to have done the best of the CDN TSXV stocks) or maybe now VYGR once the RSIs are more reasonable. They have had a nice run but it looks like they should do well over the next several years.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I have no idea how to value VYGR but it's my favorite gamble right now

CEO is on youtube often (also was the e*trade CEO) plus they got talent from Uber. The app is well done (I have US app store and bank) and it's coming to Canada and Europe. They broker crypto from many other exchanges and take a spread. They give far better interest than the banks and they have a loyalty system coming

Also they should make bank on the FOMO in and the FOMO out

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I read some whitepapers on the Blockchain industry and it is forecasting some amazing growth for the next few years ~ 67% cagr. This might be the best growth industry overall.
People trying to push or endorse industries will always have forecasts like that

·
Registered
14,276 Posts
There is a euphoria in everything. We seem to be getting close to the crash.

What happens after that is anyone's guess.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts