Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
that 90% of the results come from agitation, not detergent (i.e., water is a powerful solvent all on its own!).
True, but the detergent contains stain removers and other chemicals to allow the dirt to be released from the fibers. If you have hard water, your clothes will come out "stiff"and they may not be "entirely" clean..of course you can always go down to the river and wash by hand and beat the clothes against a rock to "soften the fibers"..:D

WikiQUOTE
"One of the largest applications of detergents is for cleaning clothing. The formulations are complex, reflecting the diverse demands of the application and the highly competitive consumer market. In general, laundry detergents contain water softeners, surfactants, bleach, enzymes, brighteners, fragrances, and many other agents. The formulation is strongly affected by the temperature of the cleaning water, and of course varies from country to country."

I use a tiny bit of detergent - maybe a tablespoon - in my HE washer and if I happen to need to wash clothes and there's no detergent available, I just wash 'em without it. :)
Good for you MG...now that is the pure definition of frugal..I like it! :)
You could always save those soap bar ends and throw those in...you do that?..don't you? ;-)

[As a bonus, line-drying clothing inside in winter provides free humidification.
Absolutely! I do that too. I just put a mesh around the ends of the dryer hose to keep most of the fluff from getting spread around the basement...and I have a 20yr+ dryer that will more than likely, outlast me.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
We bought a gas stove in new house and my dishwasher I bought from tasco some swedish company who gives 10 year warranties on it's appliances ,dishwasher was $1000 including the warranty.AND ICK to washing clothes without any detergent ,may as well brush your teeth without the tooth paste!

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
And don't go with the fancy smanchy electronic machines.... get a reliable, mechanical machine. They will last you years, 20 or more. You do NOT want the fancy HE machines that sears sells, my god it's ridiculous to replace one circuit breaker in the things. Ask the repair man, not the sales man, when you're looking at buying a new machine.

We will never ever buy a fancy "top of the line" appliance with a bunch of electronic crap in it ever again!
I will second that! I avoid the electronic ones like the plague after what my son went through when he bought appliances from Sears for his first house.

They gave him a great deal, but the double door 22 cuft Sears (GE) fridge worked for about 1 year.. and just past the 1 year warranty period, then it broke down..wouldn't keep things cold! Unfortunately, being frugal (like his old man) he opted not to go for the extended warranty on the appliance purchase at the time of purchase..and as luck may have it..got caught.

Apparently there was a "bang" and a part came loose inside the fridge..basically an explosion of some proportions.

The repairman came to his house several times..to replace the microprocessor module that controls everything on the fridge..even the ice cube/chill water dispensor..no luck same problem..and never mind the inconvenience of food spoilage and not being able to keep milk/drinks cold!

Sears Repairman came a second time and replaced this and that...fridge still didn't work properly..another week or two went by!

Sears came for the third time and replaced some other do-dad (thermostat) and still the fridge wasn't keeping things cold..by now pretty much all the working parts (except the compressor and freon tubing) had been replaced!
By now Sears, had brought in a "loaner fridge" because they just couldn't figure out what the real problem was, and
were stalling as what to do with this "hi tech" GE fridge. Plugging in parts, the way they were used to doing, didn't seem to
do the trick!

Well, he realized he was on thin ice when it came to some kind of satisfaction in this matter ,and by now the breakdown with Sears not able to fix it properly, had dragged on to OVER A MONTH!

He was Pissed! He approached some management at Sears, who sympathized with his sad story, and offered to exchange the broken down fridge with another model for $300 extra..basically what the extended warranty would have cost in
the first place.

This second fridge does NOT have the microprocessor board ...fancy smanchy, and although its adouble door-same size,,it has more conventional controls.

So far..no problemo after more than 5 years too. But this time he went for the extended warranty on the replacement fridge!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
plugging pls don't feel concerned. There are odd ducks everywhere. It has nothing whatsoever to do with you.

thank goodness parents these days watch over their children so carefully. It's the children i'd think about. Not sure if you're living in a condo, but if so, & if the odd duck is on your floor, the children shouldn't play in the hallways & corridors without supervision ...

if i were in your place i'd probably discuss the odd duck w my husband, but i wouldn't say anything to other condo owners. Everyone in the condo association has to get along & one borderline odd duck incident is too small to be mentioned imho ... unless ... it keeps on happening ...

·
Banned
1,119 Posts
I take my laundry down to the laundry room on the first floor. After I choose a machine that has the least amount of stains and pubes all over it, I insert $1.75, go back up to my apartment, and return in about 35 mins to transfer my clothes to whichever dryer has the least amount of dog/cat hair in the lint vent.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
We will never ever buy a fancy "top of the line" appliance with a bunch of electronic crap in it ever again!
I agree.

My wife and I want a new front load washer but our old Maytag washer and drier have been problem free for over ten years. Our newer designer kitchen appliances have been very unreliable. The problems seem to stem from the electronics.

When we decide to move up to the front load washer, we'll be looking for a simple mid range mechanical system.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
plugging pls don't feel concerned. There are odd ducks everywhere. It has nothing whatsoever to do with you.

thank goodness parents these days watch over their children so carefully. It's the children i'd think about. Not sure if you're living in a condo, but if so, & if the odd duck is on your floor, the children shouldn't play in the hallways & corridors without supervision ...

if i were in your place i'd probably discuss the odd duck w my husband, but i wouldn't say anything to other condo owners. Everyone in the condo association has to get along & one borderline odd duck incident is too small to be mentioned imho ... unless ... it keeps on happening ...
We actually rent that condo now. The guy is still there, and we've been told by our tenants that he still waits until he has nothing else to wear. They think it's because he doesn't have too many clothes, and tries to get the most out of his load.

We weren't too concerned about him, he was actually a pretty nice guy, just didn't like talking to him while he was in a speedo.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
We bought a gas stove in new house and my dishwasher I bought from tasco some swedish company who gives 10 year warranties on it's appliances ,dishwasher was $1000 including the warranty.AND ICK to washing clothes without any detergent ,may as well brush your teeth without the tooth paste!
No ICK factor. In reality brushing your teeth without toothpaste is a good idea, ask a dentist. Most commercial toothpastes contain sweeteners! And it's the brushing action (similar to agitation and clothes) that cleans the teeth and massages the gums. Modern society hath gone too far with over using fragrance, food (even toothpaste) additives and other crap.

When I lived in Vancouver my dental hygienist suggested brushing on the commute to work, no toothpaste, just to stimulate the gums and help prevent gum disease.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
No ICK factor. In reality brushing your teeth without toothpaste is a good idea, ask a dentist. Most commercial toothpastes contain sweeteners! And it's the brushing action (similar to agitation and clothes) that cleans the teeth and massages the gums.
Well this discussion is deviating from the original topic..but even though some toothpastes have pumice stone (some form of calcium slurry), and will scratch tooth enamel over time, most of the gel ones don't have any.
As far as sweetners, if you drink coffee with sugar or soft drinks, you probably have more sugar in your mouth per day, than what there is in toothpastes..but you must know by now..I like to argue just about anything.
True that the waterpiks are great at removing debris from between the teeth and the gumline, but Istill like that
fresh minty taste that most toothpastes have in the morning to hide jungle mouth..ROAR!!!!

When I lived in Vancouver my dental hygienist suggested brushing on the commute to work, no toothpaste, just to stimulate the gums and help prevent gum disease.
Oh!.... so your are one of those... that brushes teeth and hair, applies makeup in the rearview mirror, files yer nails,,.,yaks on the cellphone and what about texting?

Amazing how many things you can do stuck at a red light..(besides picking ones nose)..LOL! ;)

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Oh!.... so your are one of those... that brushes teeth and hair, applies makeup in the rearview mirror, files yer nails,,.,yaks on the cellphone and what about texting?
I brush my hair maybe once or twice a year. I don't wear makeup except maybe once every two years, I don't file my nails - I bite them. I have a pay as you go cell phone, which I use perhaps once a month for a phone call and two or three texts a month. Oh and yeah, I don't drive to work, I walk.

Amazing how many things you can do stuck at a red light..(besides picking ones nose)..LOL! ;)
I usually wait for the green light so I can cross the street. Sometimes I blow my nose on a kleenex if it's -40 out and it's dripping like a son-of-a-gun, but thats about the extent of excitement I get whilst waiting for the light to turn green, or in my case, the white man to show up and tell me I can cross.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I brush my hair maybe once or twice a year. I don't wear makeup except maybe once every two years, I don't file my nails - I bite them. I have a pay as you go cell phone, which I use perhaps once a month for a phone call and two or three texts a month. Oh and yeah, I don't drive to work, I walk.
Ok, so hair is not a high maintenance item on your list.
10 -> Kudo points

Bite nails: jury is out on this one..doesn't look as nice long nails with
red polish, but....

Pay as you go cell phone & once a month call : 10-> Kudo points

Walk to work in -40C Winnepeg winter......are you nuts?
I have trouble with -20C Ottawa winters!

I usually wait for the green light so I can cross the street. Sometimes I blow my nose on a kleenex if it's -40 out and it's dripping like a son-of-a-gun, but thats about the extent of excitement I get whilst waiting for the light to turn green, or in my case, the white man to show up and tell me I can cross.
waiting for green light. 1 atta girl -> ADDY

Wiping icicles off [email protected] ....solution: move somewhere warmer..why are you punishing yourself? :)

white man??? Oh the walk sign?....you actually watch for those in -40C?

BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I'm going to turn up the room thermostat to 21C!!!!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I found this old thread after our washer "retired" yesterday. Although the bells and whistles have improved since 2011, ten years later much of the discussion related to the topic applies. The portion that was OT made me smile (wonder if the now 78 year old is still waiting in his speedo : D). "They don't make em like they used to has been the mantra I heard my entire life." We are replacing our ancient (25yr+) washer with a new LG front loader LG 4.5 cu. ft. Ultra Large Capacity TurboWash® Washer (WM4370HKA) | LG USA . I doubt it will still work in 25 yrs. Many years ago (17-18?) I used to assist a friend who owned an appliance repair shop and back then there was a big difference between high end and and brands.

We will replace the dryer when we find one on sale over the next while. We did opt for a fairly high end model and I am curious if most of the cost is for features or if quality will come with it as well. Although the energy efficiency is good for the environment I doubt I will recoup the cost in savings before we need to replace the unit. Hoping for 10yrs. Is that a realistic expectation? Our house currently has to take items to the drycleaners so I am lookin forward to the steam option.

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
5 days ago we phoned in a meter reading for our water bill. Yesterday the phone rang and it was the regional water department. They say that our consumption has slowed to the point that it was flagged by their system. She suggested that we must've keyed in the meter reading incorrectly.

My husband went downstairs, took a new meter reading and called her back. She said our meter must not be working. She and my husband did a diagnostic on the meter and it seems to be working fine. She asked him if we have been away for a couple of months and not been using the water. We haven't.

Then she asked him if we had made changes to our water usage. He told her that we got a new washer/dryer in January. She said that was the discrepency. She said the washer will pay for itself within a year. Our old washer and dryer were only 8 years old - how inefficient could they have been? We haven't received our new water bill yet, but she says we will be pleasantly surprised.
Where do you live? I live in Mississauga and my annual water+sewer bill is ~$100. Would take a long time to pay off a front-load washer.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
I have an LG front load washer, it's 11 years old.
For the first 4 years we ran it on average about 10x a week, now about once a day.

I've had to replace the drain pump (too much sand killed it)
I've had to replace the inlet solenoids.

But it's done several thousands loads of laundry, and it's great.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I have an LG front load washer, it's 11 years old.
For the first 4 years we ran it on average about 10x a week, now about once a day.

I've had to replace the drain pump (too much sand killed it)
I've had to replace the inlet solenoids.

But it's done several thousands loads of laundry, and it's great.
Why so much laundry?

·
Registered
54 Posts
We are definitely saving on laundry detergent. The installation guy told me to use half of whatever amount of detergent was recommended on the container. I ran this by a few of my friends and they concurred. I use way less detergent than before and our laundry comes out just as clean.

The installation guy also told me that frontloaders are most efficient when they are packed full. He said this is because there is no agitator in the machine, the clothes agitate off eachother. Again, I ran this by my already-frontload-convert friends and they concur. I am able to put the bedding for all our beds in one load - unheard of with our old machines - and use less soap. So I guess I can see how the savings would add up.

It's just frustrating that 8 years ago when we bought our previous machines we bought the most energy efficient ones we could find, and now they are sooo much more efficient. Is an 8-10 year life cycle for appliances going to be the new norm? Because that's kind of expensive. I remember when I was growing up people bragged about keeping their appliances for 25 years. Are those days gone?
yes, long gone... 10 years? 7 is more the norm

21 - 40 of 41 Posts