Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
The Mandarin close to us is a nut house when people are paying the full rate. I can only imagine what it will be like with a free buffet.

Better tent out in the parking lot overnight...........LOL.

Good on the Mandarin though. It is a very generous gift on their part.

Doug Ford cancelled the Canada celebrations at Queens Park, but some museums and parks will be open free of charge.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I suspect that it is soggy and loaded with MSG and sugar.

Besides, I do not think that they deliver to the Rock. Better to get a fresh chicken at Costco, make a salad, and have some fruit!

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
(is mandarin food better than swiss chalet?)
... it could if you stick with the salad bar, and not load it up with dressing (premade bottled type). The "free" all-you-can-eat meal is very enticing though ... can't find many true freebies these days, even those that celebrate your birthday, let alone July 1st.

As sags pre-warned be prepared to camp overnight lining up ... similar to 6 miles long Boxing Day madness or the new AppleStore opening ... LOL.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
It's how they clean out all those buffet offerings at least once a year. :pig:
Otherwise they just top them up and put them out again the next day, and the next, and the next...
Even if they paid me the $29.99 (weekend buffet price) I wouldn't be tempted to go.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I would sooner have a hotdog at Costco than a soggy buffet. Alas, I believe that they are closed on Canada Day. Perhaps tomorrow when I go to have my tires installed.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
The Mandarin near us is packed all the time and there is always a waiting period for a table.

I would imagine the lineup will extend well into the parking lot today.

It was a nice gesture by the Mandarin, but who was the idiot that decided people had to show proof of Canadian citizenship ?

Now they are being accused of discrimination. So dumb..........considering they can only serve X number of people regardless and the cost to them is the same.

Incidentally, for those who don't realize it, the Mandarin has a huge buffet offering everything from Chinese food to prime rib to seafood........plus dozens of salads and desserts.

The prime rib and other offerings are cut and served by the chef so it is fresh as it can be. There is a reason it is so popular.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
^
It was a nice gesture by the Mandarin, but who was the idiot that decided people had to show proof of Canadian citizenship ?
... not just a "nice" gesture, but an overly generous one.. and who was that idiot, the same idiot who declared July 1st as Canada's Day or what's like to be a Canadian citizen.

Now they are being accused of discrimination. So dumb..........considering they can only serve X number of people regardless and the cost to them is the same.
... good luck. I honestly hope those who accused Mandarin of being discriminatory is successful at the Human Rights Commissions so the Mandarin can cancel the event permanently.

I didn't know they served prime ribs ... and that they can be so soggy. :devilish:

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
The Mandarin near us is packed all the time and there is always a waiting period for a table.
I would imagine the lineup will extend well into the parking lot today ...
Apparently in Barrie the first person lined up at 5:30am where the line went for several blocks.

... It was a nice gesture by the Mandarin, but who was the idiot that decided people had to show proof of Canadian citizenship
Now they are being accused of discrimination. So dumb ...
^ ... good luck. I honestly hope those who accused Mandarin of being discriminatory is successful at the Human Rights Commissions so the Mandarin can cancel the event permanently.
IIRC, this is the fifth time they have done it. According to the CEO it was intended to celebrate how Canada and Canadians welcomed them as immigrants.

If five times in forty years is discrimination - shouldn't the senior's discount that discriminates against young folks that runs all year be banned?
What about having to be a Costco member to buy gas?
Or Ladies get in free?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
^ How about camping overnight for Boxing Day doorcrashers or that new AppleStore opening, a few years back? What were the "freebies" there? Other than more insanity.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Amazing what people will do for free stuff. Wait in line for 8 hours for a $20 meal? Why not?
Insanity.
Maybe ... but then again, some of those profiled were a family of seven so it's more like $23 x 7 = $161 plus tax and tip.

^ How about camping overnight for Boxing Day doorcrashers or that new AppleStore opening, a few years back? What were the "freebies" there? Other than more insanity.
Or how about the Raptors fans that lined up about three days in advance of game five to make sure they would get into Jurassic Park?
https://globalnews.ca/news/5369647/raptors-fans-camping-jurassic-park-line/

No sure if the same ones lined up again for game six.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5376912/raptors-fan-lined-up-jurassic-park-game-6/

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts