Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I still haven’t been able to bring myself to paying for access to news sites.....Toronto Star, Globe and Mail etc.......have you?
As businesses, the Star and the Globe are dying. So are just about every other big media outlet, aside from the New York Times. Warren Buffett just sold his newspapers.

I know lots of people take pride in finding free versions of new stories online. And I know lots of people look at institutions like the Star and the Globe as chronically biased.

So imagine they shutter. Will you miss them?

Remember, everything you read on Twitter and Facebook is wild and unverified. That's why they were used as a vector to disrupt elections in the West and to sow distrust about the importance of vaccinations.

Remember, too, that for reasons easily understood by psychologists, people tend to seek out information that confirms their pre-existing opinions. They unwittingly but willingly put themselves into filter bubbles. This shuts them off from countervailing information.

Most important of all, think about the SNC scandal, which nearly brought down the Liberal government. We only heard about it because the Globe learned what was happening, verified what was happening and then published it.

Think about Rob Ford, Toronto's crack-smoking mayor. He was skipping out of the office, drinking vodka in schoolyards and getting high with drug dealers. We know this because the Star heard about a video showing the mayor using crack. Star reporters saw the video and then spent months confirming that what they had seen was accurate before publishing.

You don't have to agree with everything they write. You might like Ford or Trudeau.

You don't have to agree with their political positions. It can be healthier if you don't!

But important, rigorously verified information in the public interest doesn't just show up on Twitter, or CMF, for free. If the Star and Globe (just to continue using those two as examples; everything said here applies equally to the Postmedia chain) disappear Canadians will be left with the government-funded CBC for Canadian-focused news.

Does that sound healthy?

I subscribe to both papers. (Full disclosure: I used to work for one.) They are not as good -- not as deep, as rich or as refined -- as they used to be. But, for me, they remain a good value. For roughly the cost of one movie a month, I get pretty good sports writing in the Star. I get the country's best business, investing and real estate coverage in the Globe.

Plus, when it's really important, I get eye-opening stories about Liberals, Conservatives and powerful institutions behaving badly -- sometimes illegally.

It costs a little money to keep society free.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Imagine if any reliable news media looked at the comments below a factual, verifiable story and retracted it because many of the comments were negative
Imagine if a local newspaper banned you for a comment on a story that corrected something that was factually inaccurate. That happened to me when I commented that the reported "facts" in the story about the Covington kid's story were incorrect. I was 100% accurate but was banned from commenting due to violating the terms of their policy. I have also seen comments disagreeing with the writer that didn't violate the terms disappear a short while later.

If media can't accept someone correcting a factual error or feel that they have to delete comments from those who simply disagree with them, then they're no longer media. They're just a propaganda rag.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Imagine if a local newspaper banned you for a comment on a story that corrected something that was factually inaccurate. That happened to me when I commented that the reported "facts" in the story about the Covington kid's story were incorrect. I was 100% accurate but was banned from commenting due to violating the terms of their policy. I have also seen comments disagreeing with the writer that didn't violate the terms disappear a short while later.

If media can't accept someone correcting a factual error or feel that they have to delete comments from those who simply disagree with them, then they're no longer media. They're just a propaganda rag.
There is a reason that the government is giving these guys millions in handouts.

Truth hasn't been a defense for a LONG time, if it hurts someones feelings they'll can still call it a hate crime.

Questioning the "accepted narritive" is a TOS violation. It's like they forgot WHY freedom of expression is so important.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
There is a reason that the government is giving these guys millions in handouts.

Truth hasn't been a defense for a LONG time, if it hurts someones feelings they'll can still call it a hate crime.

Questioning the "accepted narritive" is a TOS violation. It's like they forgot WHY freedom of expression is so important.
A German a long time ago said:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

·
Registered
938 Posts
Imagine if a local newspaper banned you for a comment on a story that corrected something that was factually inaccurate. That happened to me when I commented that the reported "facts" in the story about the Covington kid's story were incorrect. I was 100% accurate but was banned from commenting due to violating the terms of their policy.
I did say "reliable news media", your local newspaper may not be so. Have a look at the NY Times article that initially reported the incident as a bunch of MAGA fueled bullies... https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/us/covington-catholic-high-school-nathan-phillips.html They corrected the article with a note that linked to a more accurate one.

I have seen many links in reddit to something that some twit tweeted that was unpopular, and the tweet was withdrawn - even though it was factually correct. It's more about popularity, based on the current hive-think. If the hive is angered, the post is withdrawn. Hence, not a reliable news source. I will grant that it might be a catalyst for someone to do indepenent research. What? What am I saying? Who am I kidding? That would never happen; independent research, pfffttt.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check with your library, via ours we get access to G&M and NY Times. Probably others but those are the ones I'm interested in.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I did say "reliable news media", your local newspaper may not be so. Have a look at the NY Times article that initially reported the incident as a bunch of MAGA fueled bullies... https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/us/covington-catholic-high-school-nathan-phillips.html They corrected the article with a note that linked to a more accurate one.
Yes, they corrected the story, but it was long after the facts were known and only when it became for them to big to ignore. What they didn't do was verify the story in the first place because it suited their narrative.

Another trick some of the media does is to scream wildly inaccurate or misleading headlines and then a couple days later quietly alter the online article with the "correct" version. But often those stories are buried and only a small percentage ever read the corrected version. But that's the intent all along.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A German a long time ago said:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
That's true The lie that long time racist and KKK Democrats all decided to switched sides and became Republicans is accepted fact for some people.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Yes, they corrected the story, but it was long after the facts were known and only when it became for them to big to ignore. What they didn't do was verify the story in the first place because it suited their narrative.

Another trick some of the media does is to scream wildly inaccurate or misleading headlines and then a couple days later quietly alter the online article with the "correct" version. But often those stories are buried and only a small percentage ever read the corrected version. But that's the intent all along.
It's worse than that, most media didn't even watch the full video before they spouted their attack on the kid.

Kid gets accosted by a mob of racists, he doesn't react to their provocations, and they smear him in the media. I hope his settlement was good.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
I pay for the Economist, and listen to the audio format while driving or doing chores. Don't actually read the magazine, which I would probably find hard to find to the time to get through every week. Audio version is ~6h which I can get through in 3h of listening at 2x speed. But I'm a bit of a crazy person who finds normal human speech rate too slow.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The leading candidate for the Democrat nomination and potential presidency appears to be suffering from early onset Alzheimer's and the media has chosen to largely ignore it. Biden can't even complete a sentenced any more. Here in Canada, Trudeau uses taxpayer money to bribe the media and is also hoping to pass a law requiring government approval to report the news. On a personal level, I was banned from a local newspaper for correcting a factual error on one of their stories in the comment area. After 40 years of paying for the news (newspaper) they no longer have my business.

The "news" industry is broken and isn't worth paying for anymore, but it's their own fault.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well researched, summarized and curated information is worth it.

You can learn a lot on YouTube or online tutorials. However a well crafted course can get you a better result faster.

I'm willing to pay for a service that adds value. Right now the taxpayer subsidized news media is generally doing a crappy job. I'm not going to pay even more for it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts