Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of months, I’ve been told the food chain is safe, but we are starting to see some cracks in the links. Figured a new thread would be good to focus on the issue.

we assumed lack of supply would be the issue, but it appears lack of demand is hurting the potato farmers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Government do not care how many people they kill do to starvation. The governments kills millions of people with their wars. Crops are being plowed under because the supply chains have been broken. Power tripping Governments are still making us burn our food i.e., ethanol & they shut down the world economy over a over hyped Corna. China has over a billion & half people when this so called pandemic started only 150 people in China died from Corona. So what that is peanuts over that size of population why even tell us

There is no evidence that the global economy should have been shut down. It is one lie after another @ first they said Corona was going to kill over 2 million in the states alone. The flu kills more people every year then Corna. Over 7.5 billion people in the world & only about 200,000 people have died from Corna with the stats being fudged by hospitals receiving more money if they treat people for covid or even more if they put people on ventilators . Usually it is not just Corona causing the death. It is old age & other complications. The ventilators are actually killing people.

The herd today is as dumb as the herd that hailed Hitler & marched to Mossolini.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I think that with a full digit death rate, locking down makes sense
with .02% as some researchers are claiming, I don't think so.

Ventilators don't kill people, they just buy a small amount of extra time.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I think that with a full digit death rate, locking down makes sense
with .02% as some researchers are claiming, I don't think so.

Ventilators don't kill people, they just buy a small amount of extra time.
I haven't seen any credible claims that the death rate is <0.1%, and it is much more likely to be close to 1%.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I haven't seen any credible claims that the death rate is <0.1%, and it is much more likely to be close to 1%.
There have been 3 rerported studies (St Clara, Boston, and Iceland). In Boston for example, 147 of about 400 people in a homeless shelter had contracted the virus with 0 deaths reported. The Santa Clara study was done by Stanford University and showed a projected fatality rate slightly higher than the flu.

The problem is that mostly sick people have been tested and that unfairly skews the fatality rate. When everyone is tested it's far lower.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The President of the US claims you can shove an ultraviolet light up your arse and kill the virus. It works like Preparation H suppositories, only bigger.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
The President of the US claims you can shove an ultraviolet light up your arse and kill the virus. It works like Preparation H suppositories, only bigger.
I think it's funny/sad that to actually mock what he said, people have to lie about it.

UV is commonly used to disinfect, it has been for decades. This shouldn't be controversial.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
There have been 3 rerported studies (St Clara, Boston, and Iceland). In Boston for example, 147 of about 400 people in a homeless shelter had contracted the virus with 0 deaths reported. The Santa Clara study was done by Stanford University and showed a projected fatality rate slightly higher than the flu.

The problem is that mostly sick people have been tested and that unfairly skews the fatality rate. When everyone is tested it's far lower.
So cherrypicking a few small, non-representative samples that support your conclusion? Diamond Princess is a larger sample with more time for cases to actually resolve and it resolved with >1% case fatality ratio.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I think it's funny/sad that to actually mock what he said, people have to lie about it.

UV is commonly used to disinfect, it has been for decades. This shouldn't be controversial.
Here's a verbatim transcript of his remarks. It becomes quite obvious how incoherent he is when he speaks.

"So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether its ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the light inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it goes in one minute, that's pretty powerful."
He talked about testing injecting disinfectant. As a separate idea to the UV light (which is dubious, but whatever--it can be tested in animal models).

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
MrMatt, my point RE: UV is that I have experience using UV light to disinfect water. It is very important that the water has very high transparency, as even small particles in the water can protect pathogens from being damaged by the UV light. So yes, it works great for sterlizing a clean, flat surface (like a table). Given that we know this, how does one imagine it is going to kill a meaningful amount of virus particles in an organism by inserting it into the lungs? The lungs are filled with branches, folds, and aviola. The UV light needs to directly line of sight come into contact with pathogens to damage them. The surface area of human lungs is the size of a tennis court. How do you ensure you get to the entire surface? And then, it is only affecting the surface. Does it penetrate cells, many cells deep in lung tissue, and destroy the virus particles in the cells? What about all the tissues that can be infected besides the lungs (like mucous membranes)? And even if you sterilize some number of virus particles, how does one imagine that helps when the virus has hijacked the body to replicate itself in the billions? Given what I understand about UV light, disinfection and how viruses work, I don't see this being effective. I am not in a position to be deciding whether this should be tested or not. Go ahead and test it. I would not wager on it turning out to be effective though. The phrase 'wishful thinking' comes to mind.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Over the past couple of months, I’ve been told the food chain is safe, but we are starting to see some cracks in the links. Figured a new thread would be good to focus on the issue.

we assumed lack of supply would be the issue, but it appears lack of demand is hurting the potato farmers.

Back to the thread. Thanks Money for posting this. The two articles bring some interesting thoughts on the impacts of COVID on the supply chain. I find it really interesting how some items such as potatoes are going to waste because of the restaurants and then meat not so much because of processing plants and illness. There will still be a lot of meat that goes to waste because it cannot be processed.

I do believe the supply chain will re-stabilize but it will take years. I have not idea how farmers are suppose to plan for next year for their crops. Do that assume everything will go back to normal, and take the chance that of throwing away a lot if the restaurants demand is reduced, or do they plant less, and then there could be larger shortages next year.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
People have no idea of what is going to happen in the next few years as a result of the virus. The food supply issues are just ONE of the unexpected consequences it will have. We can expect to see many more as time goes on.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
A local Costco is restricting meat packages to 1 per customer. A local Canadian Superstore closed down due to an infected employee.

I don't know about food "shortages", but food delays may become "normal". These plants that are shut down should reopen in a couple of weeks.

My brother in law in Saskatchewan says the farmers are getting ready to plant soon. He sold his farm and works on a relative's farm now.

Getting the grain from them to us.....is the problem. They can ship grain, but the bakeries, pasta makers etc have to be open to receive it.

In Southwestern Ontario, we are surrounded by mixed farming. Drive outside the city in any direction and it is all farmland, dairy and orchards.

Farmers can sell direct to the customer if necessary. Every summer farmers set up at the corner plaza with fresh produce and sell it out of a cargo truck.

Corn, peas, apples, berries..........whatever is in season. It is an interesting corner actually, as there is a strip plaza with a huge parking lot.

During sports events people set up to sell flags of the world. During May 24 and Canada Day they set up to sell fireworks.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I see "community gardens" are opening up in our city. We have one just behind us a bit and it is pretty big and well outfitted. They have fresh water available.

Another garden beside us is used by older folks to plant flowers and plants. It looks nice and keeps them active. People will adapt and manage.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
A local Costco is restricting meat packages to 1 per customer. A local Canadian Superstore closed down due to an infected employee.
Which Costco?
I hope not, then I'll have to go more than once a month. Or I'll do that buy, put in car, then go right back in store thing.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Which Costco?
I hope not, then I'll have to go more than once a month. Or I'll do that buy, put in car, then go right back in store thing.
I would have to ask the wife when she gets home at 4, but I believe it was the one on Wellington Street, because that is where her friend lives who told her.

The Canadian Superstore is the Oakridge Mall one.

The information on the closed Canadian Superstore is here. Good local info at this website.

Make sure to click on the story for comments as they often contain more information than the headline does.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
In Scotland, the butchers, bakers, dairies are going back to the 'old days'. My sister-in-law is getting home delivery from all of them. Milk in glass bottles. Remember those days when the milkman left your milk on the front doorstep?

Farmers are also driving around with a speaker offering fresh veggies. Transaction is done while maintaining distancing.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
can’t do that in Toronto.
you'll be there all day!
No I won't. Before I would stand in that kind of a line I would use my brain and figure out a better way to get groceries. People really don't have much imagination when it comes to changing their habits to suit the circumstances do they.

Or do you think it's all just because they want to save a dollar lining up at Costco vs. using a small local store without the lineups?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts