Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The southern hemisphere's flu season (influenza virus) is roughly May to October. The stats coming out of the southern hemisphere, for example Australia, are really crazy: they basically didn't have the flu this year.

Article from ABC, Australia
Article from Scientific American

Last year's flu season was particular bad, so the % change is a bit more dramatic as a result. Influenza deaths in Australia are down 92% from last year. The number of people diagnosed with the flu is down 84%.

This makes me wonder if Canada will also see a huge reduction in the flu. Note, however, that Australia had tighter border restrictions than us and benefits from being an island. In our case, we have the USA next door and plenty of US/Canada travel.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The southern hemisphere's flu season (influenza virus) is roughly May to October. The stats coming out of the southern hemisphere, for example Australia, are really crazy: they basically didn't have the flu this year.

Article from ABC, Australia
Article from Scientific American

Last year's flu season was particular bad, so the % change is a bit more dramatic as a result. Influenza deaths in Australia are down 92% from last year. The number of people diagnosed with the flu is down 84%.

This makes me wonder if Canada will also see a huge reduction in the flu. Note, however, that Australia had tighter border restrictions than us and benefits from being an island. In our case, we have the USA next door and plenty of US/Canada travel.
The lockdown and restrictions should cut down on the flu and other communicable diseases.

·
Registered
590 Posts
With everyone (at least many more than usual) washing their hands, using masks and distancing, one would expect flu cases to be way down.

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
Look at a map of Australia.

They have a few large urban cities on the coast, and vast unpopulated areas everywhere else.

It is like we have few cases in the NWT and Yukon. Even Saskatchewan only has 1 million population and they are spread out all over.

Many small towns and villages in the prairies had 0 COVID cases.

Our heavily populated areas are the problem. Too many people crammed into high risk condos, restaurants, bars, gyms etc.

That is also where visitors tend to congregate. It is pretty simple........spread people out and COVID doesn't have a chance to spread.

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
One huge question that nobody knows the answer to is if COVID will ever "go away" on it's own. Does it go dormant and reappear later ?

We need a vaccine that gives life time immunity, or a treatment that quickly kills the virus........like some kind of new antibiotic drug.

And we have to hope another novel virus doesn't come along next year, or the year after that.........

Climate change is melting the Arctic tundra where ancient pathogens may have been frozen in time for centuries. Scientists are greatly concerned about that.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
One huge question that nobody knows the answer to is if COVID will ever "go away" on it's own. Does it go dormant and reappear later ?

We need a vaccine that gives life time immunity, or a treatment that quickly kills the virus........like some kind of new antibiotic drug.

And we have to hope another novel virus doesn't come along next year, or the year after that.........

Climate change is melting the Arctic tundra where ancient pathogens may have been frozen in time for centuries. Scientists are greatly concerned about that.
Most highly lethal viruses die out.
It is becoming increasingly clear that a long lasting COVID19 vaccine won't be created. We have multiple cases of COVID19 re-infection.

Calling for a COVID19 treatment is like calling for a cure to the common cold, we'd really like one, but it's proven to be really really hard (if not impossible)

Antibiotics? For a virus?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It is pretty simple........spread people out and COVID doesn't have a chance to spread.
OK, good idea. Would you like to be part of the group that is forced to relocate?
Elliot Lake is looking for retirees.
Not sure if Whitehorse, Yellowknife and Iqaluit would want an influx from GTA!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
We need a vaccine that gives life time immunity,
Why? The flu vaccine we get is only good for 1 season and it gets modified each year as the flu virus changes. If a COVID vaccine can be developed and can be used in a similar way, that is probably best we can hope for.

BTW, Had my flu shot yesterday - Maybe didn't need it!

·
Registered
17,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, Had my flu shot yesterday - Maybe didn't need it!
I've debated whether I needed the flu shot but decided to go with it. We're not like Australia, and isolated from the world. We have tons of US/Canada travel (remember that air travel continues) plus there is more travel and mixing inside Canada.

Australia was stricter on domestic travel as well, and stricter in general. Things are looser in Canada and I suspect we'll get the flu worse than Australia had it.

Plus with our weather I suspect that when someone gets influenza in Canada it's more likely they have pneumonia problems (another major killer). Best to not take any chances. The flu shot is harmless, unless you catch COVID at the doctor/pharmacy while going in to get the shot.

·
Registered
17,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many small towns and villages in the prairies had 0 COVID cases.
I know Winnipeg isn't a small town, but it is isolated. It's also a very sprawled, suburban city and in many parts is quite rural. Many of the fringes of Winnipeg are indistinguishable from rural living. When COVID started, there were very few cases in Winnipeg and MB, and at the time we assumed it was because it was a low density population, lots of space, and not a major hub for travel.

But now, Winnipeg has pretty horrendous numbers and COVID is rapidly spreading. It appears to be one of the worst zones in the country outside of Quebec.

I think this shows that disease spread is not just about density or central vs isolated regions. I think many rural areas are making the same mistake in reasoning. Winnipeg went from a place with pretty much nil COVID to rapid, uncontrolled spread.

Similarly in other rural or small towns, if people give up on being "cautious" and start doing large family gatherings (like @Prairie Guy and his 10 person Thanksgiving) or big hangouts with friends... it's going to spread there too.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I've debated whether I needed the flu shot but decided to go with it.
I use to get the flu every season, as many do, but then 8 years ago I decided to start getting the flu shot. I haven't had the flu or a cold in that 8 years. Case closed for me. I don't get what you were debating about, but you made the right decision.

I got my flu shot this year the very day my pharmacy received it. I will be immune in a few days (it takes about two weeks to become fully effective). They say it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against influenza virus infection.

ltr

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I got my flu shot this year the very day my pharmacy received it. I will be immune in a few days (it takes about two weeks to become fully effective).
You do realize that the flu shot often averages around 40% effectiveness. "Immune" that's crazy talk. It helps, but it's not a substitute for other preventative health measures.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The flu shot is harmless, unless you catch COVID at the doctor/pharmacy while going in to get the shot.
Why do we keep spreading misinformation. The flu shot is not harmless, it's very safe but has potential side effects and complications. Side effects may include; headache, fever, sore throat, cough, vomiting, etc. Serious side effects are very rare, but may include allergic reactions, anaphylaxis, etc.

The benefits outweigh the risk but people should still be properly informed in order to make an educated informed decision.

·
Registered
591 Posts
. If a COVID vaccine can be developed and can be used in a similar way, that is probably best we can hope for.
FAST TRACK vaccine with big pharma not being held responsible for any negative side effects does that sound like a vaccine you want? Think about it ? Gates has a monopoly on world health, cant even keep a virus out of his soft wear wants zero CO2 & reduced population

1 - 20 of 21 Posts