Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think we're mixing subjects here. My understanding is OP is looking for a part-time or temporary job due to a recent layoff in the aviation industry. He has suggested something in the financial world but its clear that a Financial Planner is out of reach due to 1) limited knowledge of French and 2) time and effort required to obtain proper accreditation.

The general consensus is to seek an entry level position in banking but away from any client interaction (due to language restrictions).

If the financial sector is indeed sought, OP is limited to an entry-level or back-office jobs. Yes, automation may be affecting certain positions but there are several firms other than the large banks that depend on manual labor; transfer requests, trade entries, underwriting, book keeping, etc.

Placement agencies have access to these positions since there is high turn over and are not positions/firms people normally seek.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@ijustttesting, thanks for clarifying that. I guess salaries in this role are likely quite a bit lower then? In-and-around $17/hr, as the user above quoted. As for job title, I don't have anything specific in mind. Really, my aim was to find something that I could do over the next couple of years, that paid decent and where I'd have the opportunity to learn more about personal finance.

@alexincash, thanks for the input. So even most personal bankers/tellers hold their CSC/CPH?

@Mortgage u/w, thanks for the insight. Yes, I think that's likely my best bet. Any idea what salary range I can expect in this time of role?

@Beaver101, it seems you're likely correct that there's a push in that direction. From personal experience, most of my friends still do their banking through a bank though.

@ijustttesting, I believe the poster advising using a temp agency was more suggesting its use for backroom type jobs.

@jamesbeach, I suspect you may be correct there, or at least 75% will be moved online. Still, the goal of the position for me is more as a stopgap until I'm recalled from my previous career (hopefully within 2-3years).

@Money172375, you're likely correct with there being a slower transition. I think financial planners will still have a role, given many would still feel more comfortable dealing with a person directly, especially with complex problems. For the vast majority though, their situations are simple enough they should be able to manage simply through online services.

@Mortgage u/w, thank you very much for the post. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Again, this is only meant as a temporary stopgap. I will begin contacting the placement industries to see whether they might have any roles available. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@alexincash, thanks for the input. So even most personal bankers/tellers hold their CSC/CPH?
I'm actually not 100% sure about this one - I guess it maybe depends on competitiveness in your region. Although I do know for a fact that a CSC can help you stand out for entry level banking positions, which is great news because compared to other financial certifications the CSC is a cakewalk.

·
Registered
785 Posts
At TD, most tellers don’t have their CSC. while many PBs May have completed their CSC, I believe TD removes it as a requirement as PBs are now mainly focused on day-to-day banking needs and simple credit requests. The FAs in the branch would have a requirement to obtain their MF license and probably some additional introductory FP courses.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Why not see if you can get an entry level position at one of the AI companies in Montreal because that sector is the future!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
My guess is that it like many other fields. 20 percent of the people make 80 percent of the fees.

Our experience with bank advisors-both the free ones and the fee based advisors has not been great. They sell and advise based on their goals and their bonus or commission structure. I spent a fair amount of time asking colleagues who they dealt with and if they were happy. I would say eighty percent said that they were not really happy and about the same amount said that they did not understand one or both of the fee structure or how their advisor was goaled by his/her employer. The bank I dealt with on a fee for service basis had a high turnover by the time we walked and the new advisors were not very experienced. It is the reason we walked, or should I say ran.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts