Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Personal Finance/Business/Investing Magazines/Blogs/Newsletters/Message boards do you read?

Me -

Magazines: MoneySense is the only one I read on a regular basis. I recently picked up a copy of Canadian Business magazine and enjoyed about half of it. Still on the fence about whether to get a subscription or not.

Newsletters: Have a subscription to Motley Fool Stock Advisor.

Blogs: Milliondollarjourney, CanadianCapitalist, gailvazoxlade.com

Boards:This one.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Investors Digest - I like the first 2-3 paragraphs of each columnist. It's usually about were the markets are going. The stock selection are usually about 3 weeks behind, And I don't pay full price wait for the deals.

Money Saver - I've read some good stuff, some not so good.

Shareowner - Will get you use to #s and charts.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
MoneySense and Money Saver. I find MoneySense to be a "fun" type of read and I like their articles with stats showing how your family stacks up regarding net worth, income, etc. Money Saver is a bit more dry, but sometimes has a few good ideas.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I read the Canadiancapitalist blog and the gailvazoxlade blog. I also read the postings on several of the blogs of the Economist magazine. Incidentally, I also have a subscription to the magazine. I don't follow any specific new letters, though I do read the daily international news and business headlines on reuters.com.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Moneysaver, and the Conolly Report.

For all you greaterfool people, I dont know if Turner knows what he is talking about.

He has said for years that as the boomers age, they will downsize, and move closer into the city for healthcare needs, thus driving the house prices down.

This does not seem to be happening. In Winnipeg people are building bigger and bigger houses.

In fact my new neighbors are in their mid 60's and moved into a large 2 story house, upsizing from a smaller condo.

I think Turner is generalizing. Real estate is very local.

·
Banned
701 Posts
For all you greaterfool people, I dont know if Turner knows what he is talking about.

He has said for years that as the boomers age, they will downsize, and move closer into the city for healthcare needs, thus driving the house prices down.

This does not seem to be happening. In Winnipeg people are building bigger and bigger houses.

In fact my new neighbors are in their mid 60's and moved into a large 2 story house, upsizing from a smaller condo.

I think Turner is generalizing. Real estate is very local.
I would agree. I use Mr. Turner's blog/predictions for entertainment. I find it strange that we need to keep telling people in the 21st century that people can't predict the future... but hey, if he can get people to pay good money to him for doing it - more power to him!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Blogs: MDJ, CC, for the broad financial topics.
Gail is great for keeping your head on straight, and philosophies around money.
I have to admit to enjoying Garth - the comments can be interesting. Why does this one feel like a guilty pleasure?

Boards: CMF.

Magazines:Whatever my wife can get me free subscriptions to. Forbes has been arriving for a while, but it's terrible wealthy right-wing nonsense.

News:G&M, some google news, some bloomberg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a diehard fan of MONEYSENSE and have just recently gotten a subscription to MONEYSAVER. I agree that Moneysense is an easier read than Moneysaver but if you take your time with the latter there are some excellent points that are made in a lot of the articles.

I also follow CANADIAN CAPITALIST, WHERE DOES ALL MY MONEY GO, I WILL TEACH YOU TO BE RICH, MILLION DOLLAR JOURNEY, ROB CARRICK and THE WEALTHY BOOMER on RSS feeds.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Magazines: only MoneySense
Blogs: Million Dollar Journey, Nurse911, Canadian Capitalist, Four Pillars, Dividend Growth Investor, and a couple of others occasionally
Newsletters: none
Message Board: Canadian Money Forum (this one), MoneySense forums, FWF (try to, but can't keep up with the volume)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, long time lurker

Magazines: MoneySense and Canadian Business
Blogs (Canadian): Million Dollar Journey, Nurse911, Wealthy Boomer
Blogs (US): note, I'm really bearish on the economy so that may draw me to these. These 2 guys write a lot, but they back up their numbers and they've correctly called a lot of the pain over the last couple of years -
http://www.market-ticker.org/ (Karl Denninger, was on BNN Squeeze Play last night, btw)
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/ (Mish)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm I the only one who finds it ironic that some people have subscriptions to Moneysense and/or Money Saver?

I remember David Chilton's advice - "don't buy this book, go to the library!".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts