Canadian Money Forum banner

Fighting extra charges for paper bills - Telus Mobility

29K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  Argonaut 
#1 · (Edited)
Fighting new e-billing charges-Telus Mobility

Does anyone have any experience in fighting Telus Mobility (or any corporation) in their move to paper billing? Recently, Telus Mobility began charging $2 a month for customers who refused to sign up for e-billing and support the tax write off charity scam (you know, sign up for e-billing and we'll "donate" $1 to x charity). I have escalated my challenge of this extra fee to the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services, but doubt this will work.

I am challenging Telus' billing based on the following:
1) I am a long-term customer (acquired when Telus took over Clearnet)
2) I have a three year contract with Telus (fortunately, ending January 2011), which stipulates what they can charge. (Going through the fine print, there is no mention of fee to receive a bill.)
3) While my contract stipulate that Telus can elect to deliver my bill electronically, it again does not stipulate that it can charge if I refuse this service.

Surely, I can't be the only one affected by this? For the record, I'm tee'd off by the principle of Telus violating the terms of our signed contract, rather than phony environmentalism assoicated with e-billing.

1) I submitted a complaint with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Service. In my complaint, I explicitly stated that I wished all communication with Telus Mobility in writing.

2) I received two voice messages from the President's Office (yeah, right) from Telus mobility, one on Christmas Eve and one on New Years eve. I did not respond to either message.

3) CCTS wrote in January asking if my claimed had been resolved. As I had not received written communication from Telus Mobility acknowledging my complaint, I said it was not. I was then assigned a case worker for my case.

4) The case worker took my case to Telus, who offered a $20 credit (equal to 10 months of billing service). However, the case worker said that she could not investigate me claim that Telus was violating the terms of my contract by charging me an extra fee, because the CCTS CANNOT INVESTGIATE CELL PHONE COMPANY BILLING PRACTICES.

5) I requested that in order to close my file, that Telus Mobility write me indicating why they were providing me a $20 credit. I never received such a letter, just a credit on my bill. The CCTS subsequently closed my complaint.

6) I've closed my Telus Mobility account, and currently do not have a cell phone. I have also written my local MP (Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore, and the former Industry Minister expressing my dissatisfaction with the current voluntary corporate regulatory body (the CCTS), which has no power re: billing to hold the cell companies accountable for illegal billing practice. Sometimes you need big government to come in hold these companies accountable!

7) I strongly urge anyone else who was illegally billed by Telus for their contract-breaking charge for their unilateral switch to paperless billing to follow up with the CCTS and the Industry Minister.

See less See more
#2 ·
I sympathize with your concern. I have resisted ebilling too because I had to keep hard copy records for tax reasons. But because I have renwewed most contracts in recent times, I have gradually been forced into ebilling.

So I have accepted it as inevitable. I know it is cheaper for me to print a pdf than for Telus to print, sort, and mail my bill. I suppose those extra savings will eventually show up in corporate profits.

What has been the experience of others?

#4 ·
No sympathy from me here, I'm afraid. I am a fan of e-billing and support the policy of making people pay to get paper statements. E-billing is cheaper and uses fewer resources; it should be the standard for the future. If you want to be the exception and receive paper statements you should have to pay for it. Same principle goes for food shopping bags: if you bring your own, you don't pay, if you want to use the bags provided by the grocery store, you pay.

The transition to a new system is painful because it sucks having to pay for something that used to be "free," but ultimately it's a better system. I've been getting almost all my bills and all of my banking statements electronically for a few years now and it sure beats having to keep paper files. I haven't had to print anything yet, but I save everything as PDFs and back them up offsite. I got rid of two filing cabinets that I no longer needed and now have a lot more room in my home office.

#15 ·
No sympathy from me here, I'm afraid. I am a fan of e-billing and support the policy of making people pay to get paper statements. E-billing is cheaper and uses fewer resources; it should be the standard for the future. If you want to be the exception and receive paper statements you should have to pay for it...The transition to a new system is painful because it sucks having to pay for something that used to be "free,"...
I agree, and if I were signing a new contract with a service provider and they stipulated a fee for paper-based billing as one of the covenants in that contract, that would be fine, but it is not acceptable, IMO, for service providers to change the terms and conditions of existing contracts mid-term.

I haven't taken a law course in a *lot* of years, but I seem to recall that a significant change to the terms and conditions of a contract by either party is grounds for termination of the contract. Am I remembering that correctly?

This is another example of 'big business' using their size and lack of competition to their advantage.

As a shareholder I am happy (fees = revenue), but as an existing customer I am pissed.

#23 · (Edited)
Where does it say you are entitled to a paper bill?

The only way I could see this change being argued, is that it discriminates against those with access to Internet.

I personally prefer e-billing as its easier to manage (store, sort, find, track). And though I sympathize with your frustration, I do not support your ideal. Unfortunately, things change and we must adapt.

#6 ·
Telus

I don't think it says anywhere in their contract that they can charge for this but I'm sure they are just able to cover it up by saying they are being enviromentally friendly. It is better for the enviroment and what I started doing is just saving a PDF of my bill each month.

#7 ·
This is yet another scam from an industry that has gotten fat on such billing practices. Never mind the tree-hugger rhetoric: they are doing this because it saves money for them and raises their profit level, and get to claim browny points for being green. Hogwash. If they were concerned about being green they wouldn't be in a business which fills our landfills with millions of useless handsets every year, rendered useless by ever-changing service plans and upgrades. This perpetual obsolescense makes them very rich. That's what it's all about. Making people pay for getting a paper bill is a money grab, plain and simple.

#8 ·
I was just talking to a good friend of mine about this the other day.

He phoned and complained but the person on the other end said there was nothing that could be done about it , so he said he would cancel his service with them and asked to be put thru to cancellations.

After about 30 seconds or so , someone else answered and said the only thing they could do , was to offer another service for free , so they are going to stop charging him for call waiting and voice mail , which he was paying $6 per month for , so he will actually be ahead by $4 , the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

He has service with them but not under contract , I myself have a contract for a 3G internet and cell phone , I see no where in the contract that allows them to do that , I will be challenging it as well , maybe I can get the same deal.

So yes , it can be challenged , and they will give something up to those who threaten to cancel service , I think everyone should ***** to them about it.

#10 ·
Not true. The bill cost x before the change. They are charging x + 1 if you wish to maintain status quo. That's an increase. Those who take a cheaper (for the company) service pay the same price as before when they were getting more for their money. How is this not an increase?

You would be right if they were charging x -1 if you e-bill.

#13 ·
I keep refusing to switch to e-billing for most of my bills.
Some companies are more pushy than others, such as Bell.
For the supplier, there is indeed a cost to e-billing as well.
The development and maintenance of the website, 24x7 uptime, the storage and archival of all historical bills, etc.
Arguably, it may be marginally cheaper for them if customers switched to e-bills.
I doubt though that the savings for the supplier are substantial enough to pass on as a credit to the consumers.

I refuse to switch because a paper bill forces me to review and analyze the bill every month and catch errors.
Again, some companies are more notorious than others for "errors" in the bills.
The more automatic everything is, the more lazy we get and don't catch errors.

A paper bill also has the effect of staring us in the face every month and reminding us exactly how much we are spending on our "services" each month, such as television, cell phone etc.
With Internet billing, out of sight is out of mind, which works to their advantage.
This "in-the-face" factor has made me re-negotiate and modify my services several times to reduce the total bill.

Eventually, everyone may be forced to switch by punitive paper bill charges.
Until then, I'll hold out as long as I can.

#19 · (Edited)
If the telecoms change the terms of the contract, you have every right to cancel the contract. If I remember correctly, there's been a recent court challenge about someone who had their terms of the contract changed, and they sued one of the big companies on the basis of change of the terms, and the company was forced to reimburse, allow cancelation of the contract, and pay for the legal fees.

#25 · (Edited)
Fergy, Dana, RTM, Harold and all:

Thanks for your feedback. I suppose the best thing for me to do will be ask for credits for voice-mail service or some other service.

Again, I'm not opposed to e-billing per se: indeed, I just signed up for my new TD Waterhouse account. Telus can make a condition of any FUTURE contracts or RENEWED contracts that all billing will be electronic. It should not, however, be permitted to add a new fee not agreed to by both parties during the life of an existing contract.

For bills, it psychological: having a physical bill - sent by a real company - means I have a real responsibility to pay the bill. My e-mail box is already overloaded: the last thing I need is to miss an e-bill or to have jammed up in a spam filter.

I am really annoyed that Telus is charging this fee, which I see as a clear violation of my contract. I fully agree that as Telus is reducing service (a paper bill), they should be REDUCING my bill, not charging me more for an inferior (IMO) service. To then wrap themselves in a green flag while getting tax write-off to the Nature Conservancy of Canada (which I am sure is a worthwhile organization) is ludicrous. If I want to donate to the NCC, I'll pay for it and get the tax deduction.

As I said, I have elevated my concerns to the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services, which I understand is paid for by the various cellphone companies. (The CRTC won't handle such complaints). Does anyone have any experience in dealing with this organization?

Again, thanks for the suggestions and comments.

#26 ·
fersure -- you are not protected by the contract.
The contract contains enough vague verbiage to ensure that they can charge you for anything, any amount, any time, with minimal notice.

A few years ago, Bell Sympatico increased by high speed internet fees while I was under a contract.
When I called, they said the contract allows them to increase the price as long as 1 billing cycle notice is given.
So I ask, where is the notice?
Oh we emailed you at your Sympatico email account last month.
I didn't even know that they had created a new email account for me.
I didn't have the password, didn't know it even existed.
So my emailing me at this account, their hands are clean.

The only way you can ever get any justice with these guys is to threaten cancelation.
And cancelation threats won't work unless:
(1) you have a bundle of services with the same company and you threaten to cancel everything and that represents hundreds of dollars a month for them
(2) you already have some services with a competing provider and threaten to move everything over to them.

I find that reps don't take the threats seriously unless one or both of above conditions are true.
Sometimes it may be worthwhile to have service from two different providers purely for the purpose of using this leverage with both.

#27 ·
The contract contains enough vague verbiage to ensure that they can charge you for anything, any amount, any time, with minimal notice.
If that's true and you're not willing to be bound by those terms, then you shouldn't accept the contract in the first place. As someone who spent three years as a contract negotiator, I can say that rule 1 is "Always Read Your Contract" before you agree to it. Once you've agreed to it by paying your first bill or signing the contract, you've nobody to blame but yourself if the provider exercises their rights under the contract.

It's probably impossible to get a home phone service without a contract, but it is possible to get cellphone service without a contract. It might even be possible to get internet service without a contract; I haven't looked into that.

When I worked as a university contract negotiator, we occasionally turned down multi-million-dollar contracts because we couldn't get the funding agency to agree to our terms. Our faculty had voted on strict standards for maintaining academic freedom to publish, and we weren't allowed to accept any contracts or grants that violated those rights. If you don't like the terms of a contract, you should first try to negotiate them, and if that doesn't work then you should walk away.

If you can't walk away (ie, you need to have telephone or internet service and there's no way to get it without a contract), then you have to realize that you've accepted the terms of the contract and you must live with them. Or you can work within the system to try to get the provider to change the terms of the contract....either by negotiating directly with the provider or with an overseeing agency.

#28 ·
Sorry brad, but I respectfully disagree with everything you are saying. Your comments show an extreme bias towards the telco in this case. And in this case the contract was changed midway through without the approval of or the signature of the other party. They write these contracts in a way that permits them to do this, but don't permit customers to change contracts in the same vein.

It's not a contract if only one side has the ability to force arbitrary changes midway through. A true contract would be allowed to expire normally, then renewals would feature the new rules and costs.

The way these companies change contracts on the fly is criminal. The gov't is supposed to protect us from crap like this. Unfortunately for consumers and taxpayers, the cell phone lobby has the gov't in their back pockets.

I can't believe the number of you guys who are intoxicated on corporate kool aid on this matter. Stand up and think for yourselves instead of merely accepting these asinine ever-changing terms.

#29 ·
And in this case the contract was changed midway through without the approval of or the signature of the other party.
Do we know for certain that the terms of the contract were changed, or merely the fees? Was the contract written in such a way as to allow Telus to change the fees unilaterally without consent of the contract holder? If so, then Telus has every legal right to do that.

I'm not trying to paint Telus in a positive light; I detest the cell providers as much as anyone (I've been with Bell, Telus, and now Fido, and so far Fido is the only one I've been remotely happy with). But I'm saying that if you're going to enter into a contract you have the responsibility to read the contract terms before you agree to them. If you don't, and you don't understand your rights (and lack of rights) under the contract you just signed, then it's hard to see how you can justify complaining when Telus does something they were permitted to do under their contract.

#30 ·
Royal

They are not charging for a bill, they are adding the service 'paper bill' to your list of services, and charging you for the additional service. You remain with the option not to register for the paper bill service if you choose, and hence not pay a fee for the service.

Check your invoice - see Paper Bill Service or something similar.

It may not be good practice to tell people how to deal with your business, but I don't think using the Internet as a default is discriminatory - in fact, I think its quite the opposite in this country.

#34 · (Edited)
I respectfully disagree: it is not an additional service. It is changing the terms of an existing services without my consent. I have received paper bills from Telus Mobility/Clearnet since 2001. The contract (section 2 of the TM contract) states Telus can shift to e-delivery at any time during the course of the contract: and I'm fine with that! The contract, however, DOES NOT state that Telus Mobility can charge an ADDITIONAL FEE on top of all fees to which I agreed to at the signing of the contract. When signing the contract, I received paper bills: that service should continue until such time as
a) I terminate service with Telus Mobility.
b) I renegotiate my service with TM, and a clause about an additional fee for paper billing is included in the contract (which I sign)
c) Telus renegotiates the terms of the existing contract, and I agree in writing, or
d) Telus terminates me as a customer.

The exact language in my contract (Section 2, for anyone with TM) reads as follows:

TELUS may bill you exclusively by posting your invoice on the Internet. If TELUS bills you through Internet posting, you agree that (i) you shall receive your bill, and applicable late payment charges shall begin to accrue, when TELUS posts your bill online at the website specified in the notice and (ii) you waive pre-notification of the amounts and dates of debits from your account.

I realise this is about only $2 a month. But when you multiply this by the number of Telus Mobility customers, and you begin to talk about some serious coin.

#31 ·
In my case, the contract was not being changed by the provider (Bell).
They were merely doing something that the contract did not cover in the first place (price changes).
brad, it is indeed possible to have telephone, cell phone and internet service without a contract - as long as one is prepared to pay the rack rates.
The contract is required to get a discount off the rack rates.
But nothing, not even the contract, protects the consumer from rate increases mid way through the term of the contract.
This is a game that the telcos are playing on their home ground, with their rules, and their umpires.
The only weapon the end consumer has is to negotiate with the threat of cancelation and switching to a competitor.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

#32 ·
Thanks for this thread folks, it (and an older one on communications costs) reminded me to call Telus and cut out a bunch of stuff that we no longer use (change in employment for me). Saved $22/month after tax, ie $264/yr.
One would have to be a fool to fall for their weak attempt to stop you from dropping services.
Telus - "I would recommend against this as you will lose the benefit of being able to send 250 text messages at a low rate."
Me - "Look at the usage, he sent 18 last month, mostly to the share number, so they are free."
Telus - "You will lose the ease of being able to place unlimited calls starting at 5 pm."
Me - "We still have half of our shared daytime minutes left, I think we'll be okay."

*sigh*

The best part was when they offered me a "special offer" of instant messaging, web surfing, streaming tv and email. It was an additional 50 MB of data for... $7 extra a month! The smallest data package is 500 MB and I always use fewer than 100MB.

Note - all of the major phone companies have a policy of charging $450 as a disconnection fee for any data plans. I do not yet know anyone who has successfully avoided this charge. It's a doozy.

#41 ·
Telus mobility are a bunch of hypocrites

Fersure,

I share your frustration. I just received my TM bill and discovered the $2 paper bill charge. I have been with Telus for many years and I find it mind boggling that with all the new competition in the market they decide to treat their customers like a bunch of ignorants.

And for all the tree lovers out here in this board please wake up. We all recycle, and the paper industry has been taking care of its own forests for many, many years now.

All Telus cares about is its bottom line and the return on investment on millions of dollars of IT infrastructure which some CEO has pushed for and probably ended up costing much more than planned.

If Telus cared so much about the environment, why would they offer a FREE CALENDAR which I assume is printed on paper. I believe 99% of all cell phones have a calendar application. REALLY A GREAT IDEA TELUS!

#42 ·
Changes Since ClearNet Days

I have been a customer since the ClearNet days, when contracts were written in clear, simple, language - and the bonus coupons were of some value. This is before the time of SMS, GPS, Apps, and Web access. Although my old ClearNet records have been put away, I recall a $20/mnth plan, including 200 minutes, 10 cents roaming perhaps (or was it long distance), voice mail, caller ID, personal voice message, free system information at 611, along with system access charges. This monthly bill came to about $30. I have never changes the plan, nor signed a contract since that time. Telus assumes that use of their service implies agreement with whatever contract they wish to issue. Since I generally use each phone for several years, well beyond the three-year offerings, none of the phones have necessitated signing anything beyond my credit card slip. Only one phone needed cash - and that due to replacing a $400 phone after it flipped (while biking) out of a case recommended to me by the store rep.
The only change I have made to payment method over these years is online payment instead of mailed cheques. This change alone has saved Telus a lot of money in processing fees.
Yes, I am one of the fortunate old timers, with my own Internet access (about $30 per month for DSL). I could easily give Telus my email address (which they would likely sell) and print my own invoices, on paper that I paid for (without business a deduction or tax loophole). Sure, my paper, printing and connectivity costs, shared amongst all billers, would save them money. Which, of course, they will not pass along to me, even though I bear the costs for this convenience to them. I notice, also, that my personalized voice message no longer plays - just the Telus default. I seldom use anywhere near the maximum minutes. I never use the birthday minutes, and I never redeem the coupons. Connectivity is flakey at the cottage. A couple of times, I’ve used the ‘free’ calendar. No longer! Why would I advertise for a company like this? They have confiscated $2 + tax per month from me, with no legal right to do so. I guess it’s time for a prepaid. I should be able to cut costs by at least $150/year.

#43 ·
telus junkmail

I am also a long time customer with a year left on my contract, paper billing is not a new service as it has been part of the service for the 13+ years. I would be interested if anyone starts a class action law suit against this. Also, to all you tree huggers, if telus is so concerned with the environment how come they send me so much junk mail, with my bill and again at the middle of the month.

#44 ·
Non-Resolution and the uselessness of the CCTS

In case anyone was wondering, here's what happened with my dispute with Telus Mobility over their illegal billing practices.

1) I submitted a complaint with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Service. In my complaint, I explicitly stated that I wished all communication with Telus Mobility in writing.

2) I received two voice messages from the President's Office (yeah, right) from Telus mobility, one on Christmas Eve and one on New Years eve. I did not respond to either message.

3) CCTS wrote in January asking if my claimed had been resolved. As I had not received written communication from Telus Mobility acknowledging my complaint, I said it was not. I was then assigned a case worker for my case.

4) The case worker took my case to Telus, who offered a $20 credit (equal to 10 months of billing service). However, the case worker said that she could not investigate me claim that Telus was violating the terms of my contract by charging me an extra fee, because the CCTS CANNOT INVESTGIATE CELL PHONE COMPANY BILLING PRACTICES.

5) I requested that in order to close my file, that Telus Mobility write me indicating why they were providing me a $20 credit. I never received such a letter, just a credit on my bill. The CCTS subsequently closed my complaint.

6) I've closed my Telus Mobility account, and currently do not have a cell phone. I have also written my local MP (Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore, and the former Industry Minister expressing my dissatisfaction with the current voluntary corporate regulatory body (the CCTS), which has no power re: billing to hold the cell companies accountable for illegal billing practice. Sometimes you need big government to come in hold these companies accountable!

7) I strongly urge anyone else who was illegally billed by Telus for their contract-breaking charge for their unilateral switch to paperless billing to follow up with the CCTS and the Industry Minister.

#45 ·
I've been a happy Telus customer for 7 years now. Compared to most other big companies I've dealt with, dealing with Telus has been a pleasure.

I was a bit annoyed at the paying for the bill thing, but on the other hand, every year I get more service for less price, and anything to keep that trend going is a good thing in my book.

I know Telus is trying to pitch it as a tree hugger move, but the reality mailing cost alone is over 50 cents, not to mention the paper, the printing, folding, stuffing machines (capital and running costs), etc. Why waste all that money sending the dead tree edition to subscribers that only look at the total and chuck?

#46 ·
papaer billing charge

I called telus and told them that the $2 plus HST was nothing more than a cash grab and the cost of the paper was built into their cost of doing business and that i will deduct the 2 dollars and 24 cent hst from my bill and they could take me to court. The telus reprisentive said that she would make sure that charge would no longer show up on my monthly bill.

#47 ·
^ You should never mention court to a corporation. They will just laugh at you and make you look foolish.

Its a simple phone call. Tell them you're pissed, you aren't paying it, and they will remove it.

They are not going to risk losing a client for $2.00.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.