Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With X-Men Origins: Wolverine kicking off the summer blockbuster season over the weekend, let's talk about favourite money movies. I wrote about this last summer on the blog (Money movies to watch this summer) but I never got around to watching Boiler Room, GlenGarry Glenn Ross and Other People's Money. Perhaps this would be the year.

I've seen Wall Street many times and it remains my favourite money movie. Maybe it is only because I haven't watched some of the others in my to-watch list.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
My top three in order:

1. Glengarry Glen Ross (David Memet is one crafty writer)

A-always, B-be, C-closing. Always be closing! Always be closing!!

2. Wall Street
3. Boiler Room

The one common trait is that all three movies convey, so well, the sentiment at the time the stories take place. Both 1&2 showing the freakshow that was Reagonomics, and Boiler Room was a nice take on all the hype around the Dot.Com era.

Don't like that Ben Affleck guy though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love Wall Street too, it's a classic. I think Oliver Stone worked at the French stock exchange when he was younger, btw.

Boiler Room is a great movie, with a great soundtrack too.

Incidentally, the sequel to Wall Street starts filming later this year. I know as of last year the working title is "Money Never Sleeps" and continues off after Gecko is released from prison and I think he is starting up a hedge fund. Again, not confirmed, but Charlie Sheen is not in the sequel.

Glengarry Glen Ross is a classic - I would put that at the top of your list CC.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My favourite part of Boiler Room was when they're all sitting there watching Wall Street and quoting the greed is good speech:

" The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

·
Registered
152 Posts
-"They Live" - Carpenter, John
-"Canadian Bacon"
-"Tailor of Panama" - Boorman, John
-"The General" - Boorman, John
-"Z" - Gavras, Costas
-"Burn!" (or "Queimada") - Pontecorvo, Gillo
-"Time for revenge" (or "Tiempo de revancha") - Aristarain, Adolfo
-"Funny dirty little war" - Olivera, Hector
-"Lamerica" - Amelio, Gianni
-"Bicycle thief" - De Sica, Vittorio
-"Umberto D." - De Sica, Vittorio
-"La grande bouffe" - Ferreri, Marco
-"Accattone" - Pasolini, Pier-Paolo
-"The conversation" - Copola, Francis-Ford
-"Brazil" - Gillian, Terri
-"Salvador" - Stone, Oliver

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot to mention The Smartest Guys in the Room on Enron's collapse. I thought it was better than the book of the same title.

I'm pretty sure we'll soon be reading books or watching documentaries on Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers and the biggie of them all: AIG.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Michael Caine in "FLAWLESS".

It was suprising how he removed all those diamonds from the vault without being detected.

He did it just to screw the insurance company , then gave it all away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Boiler Room (brilliant!)

Glen Garry Glen Ross (not sure if that's how to spell it)

Wall Street

I have read Barbararians at the Gate but did not know it was also a movie. Will definitely rent that one.

Rosina
Fifties Schmifties

1 - 16 of 16 Posts