Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We often hear phrases now, like "the growing numbers of extreme weather events".
There may well be a lot of extreme weather, but I'm wondering if the fact that we now have 24/7/365 information, photos, videos, chats, facebook, twitter etc.etc. makes the recording of weather so much more available than it was 50, 100, 500 years ago?
If an extreme weather event, forest fire, flood or whatever happened in Timbuctoo or Hibb's Hole say, 217 years ago, how much data was collected &/or reported about it? Today, we have virtually instant access to almost every corner of the world.
Are we having that many more events? Or, to some extent, are we just able to record & "communicate" that many more events because today's technology allows us to do so? Thus making it seem like there are a lot more.....

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
We often hear phrases now, like "the growing numbers of extreme weather events".
There may well be a lot of extreme weather, but I'm wondering if the fact that we now have 24/7/365 information, photos, videos, chats, facebook, twitter etc.etc. makes the recording of weather so much more available than it was 50, 100, 500 years ago?
That kinda logic will get you labelled a climate denier.

I think extreme events are getting more visibility, particularly since it fits a political agenda.

Might be happening, might not. But it's important to realize that there are factors other than global warming that impact weather events. Plus until recently climate scientists were refusing to claim this link.
Maybe they have better data, or maybe it's okay to blame climate change for everything.

·
Registered
11,730 Posts
I do believe there is more 'active' weather more often now than in the recent past due to more energy (heat) in the system and that unpredictability will grow as our planet heats up. I believe it is real and adaptability and mitigation is part of what we need to do to dampen the worst effects, BUT it is also exacerbated by more people in more places reporting more often on social media. The continual link to climate change is part of a vested agenda and/or a lazy person's label to be trendy and current more than any real understanding of much of anything. Most quotes including 'climate change' simply highlight that person's ignorance and/or lack of credible credibility. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We broke records this week set back in the 1930's.

My question is, since we have an explanation for this heat wave, what caused the heat wave in the 30s?

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Extreme weather events are the tip of the iceberg.

The impacts of climate change are being observed and recorded globally in a multitude of ways.

Scientists say computer models developed years ago are being proven highly accurate, but the speed of the changes is deeply concerning to them.

Some now say that the tipping point for the planet was already reached. We can still mitigate some of the future damage or perhaps slow it down.

Trillions of dollars will be spent to mitigate the damage and that money has to come from somewhere.

Prepare to pay up for the damages and the rising cost of everything effected by climate change.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts

My question is, since we have an explanation for this heat wave, what caused the heat wave in the 30s?
From what I heard those old records were one day types of events in small localized areas.

This latest heat wave covered a large section of North America and broke new all time heat records for days.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
From what I heard those old records were one day types of events in small localized areas.

This latest heat wave covered a large section of North America and broke new all time heat records for days.
From what I heard we didn't have continuous global monitoring of weather a hundred years ago.
We only had intermittent monitoring of small localized areas.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

to me, a time frame of 90-100 years, is less than a blink of an eye, a grain of sand on a beach if you will,
in the concept of measuring 'time' relative to the infinity that is climate changes.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do believe there is more 'active' weather more often now than in the recent past due to more energy (heat) in the system and that unpredictability will grow as our planet heats up. I believe it is real and adaptability and mitigation is part of what we need to do to dampen the worst effects, BUT it is also exacerbated by more people in more places reporting more often on social media. The continual link to climate change is part of a vested agenda and/or a lazy person's label to be trendy and current more than any real understanding of much of anything. Most quotes including 'climate change' simply highlight that person's ignorance and/or lack of credible credibility. C'est la vie.
thanks alta - I think that's kinda what I was trying to say!🤓

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That kinda logic will get you labelled a climate denier.
hahaha.....no, I don't for a second deny that there IS climate!😈
what I do have some reservations about is the idea that something as insignificant as the human race can have any meaningful, sustainable (hate that word!) impact on Ma Nature.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
hahaha.....no, I don't for a second deny that there IS climate!😈
what I do have some reservations about is the idea that something as insignificant as the human race can have any meaningful, sustainable (hate that word!) impact on Ma Nature.
Denier denier!!!

I actually think the climate change deniers are the ones who think all or most climate change is human activity. Which IMO is ridiculous, the climate has changed far more during the time that people weren't around than when we were.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^exactly!^^^^
it's never been stagnant....million years hot, million years cold, million years hot & on & on

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
^^^exactly!^^^^
it's never been stagnant....million years hot, million years cold, million years hot & on & on
But if that's the case, how can we justify taking billions of dollars from outside the big city to subsidize our big city lifestyles?

Like if we can't tax your truck, we won't have the money to run our services like subways, that you're already paying for?

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
So you accept the science that informs you of the past, but not the science that informs you of the reality today.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you accept the science that informs you of the past, but not the science that informs you of the reality today.
if you're talking to me? I'm a firm believer in cold hard scientific facts.
again, what I'm not so convinced about is our(humans) ability to have a lasting impact on 'changing' the climate.
ie, what/ who caused the Ice Age?
and who/ what caused the climate to change from the ending of the Ice Age to where it is now?

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
I am addressing the climate deniers who claim what we are experiencing is nothing new.

They question the science of today by relying on the science about the past........ice ages etc.

It isn't a rational stance and makes no sense, considering scientific knowledge and technology to forecast the future has continued to develop.

Not that many years ago nobody knew a Category 5 hurricane was coming at them. Today we know for weeks in advance.

The climate deniers are claiming that scientists and researchers have suddenly developed mass stupidity on a global level.

I find it more likely it is the climate deniers who developed stupidity of the masses.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
I am addressing the climate deniers who claim what we are experiencing is nothing new.

They question the science of today by relying on the science about the past........ice ages etc.

It isn't a rational stance and makes no sense, considering scientific knowledge and technology to forecast the future has continued to develop.

Not that many years ago nobody knew a Category 5 hurricane was coming at them. Today we know for weeks in advance.

The climate deniers are claiming that scientists and researchers have suddenly developed mass stupidity on a global level.

I find it more likely it is the climate deniers who developed stupidity of the masses.
I'm not even sure what your definition of "climate denier" is.

There is a climate
It is changing
It has always changed
The global temperature has been much higher than it is today.
The global temperature has been much lower than it is today.

What "exactly" am I denying?

I'd suggest if you disagree with me, you're the "denier"

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
There is a climate
It is changing
It has always changed
The global temperature has been much higher than it is today.
The global temperature has been much lower than it is today.

You rely on the scientists telling you all that happened millions of years ago, but deny that scientists are capable of knowing that climate change is real today and is caused by human activity. I think the science involved in the situation today is likely more accurate than what happened millions of years ago.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Good question. There were regular heat waves every summer in the 1930s and 40s. Plagues of locusts and "dust bowl" drought conditions in the US Midwest and west were a regular occurrence for years. When I was a kid in the fifties and sixties Toronto regularly got a couple of weeks of 90, 100 or more heat in the late summer. Even though by that time, the hot weather was not as extreme as it had been. In the 1970s blizzards and bad snow storms were common, I recall two winters when the road from Colborne to Centerton was blocked for a week by snow drifts 10 feet deep that had to be cleared by a bulldozer. Haven't seen such extreme weather, either hot or cold, in many years. This summer has been rather cool and damp, only 18C today which is cool for July. While the west has been getting the hot dry weather.

So, why do these things happen? Who knows? They happen then they blow over. Weather is like that.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

There is no such thing as a climate.
I am denying its existence.
I am a "climate denier"!

(however I do acknowledge climate change)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts