Canadian Money Forum banner
901 - 920 of 981 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I am also curious. What highs are you referring to?

Your all time high as of today? 6 weeks go???
My 1year return is okay, my 5 year return is phenomenal.

As the stocks were flying up like rockets, I fully anticipated and expected period of lower performance. I like to take a broader bigger picture view, and it drives me crazy how people look at stocks over such a short time period.

My hold time is DECADES, why would I care about 6 week performance? If 6wk performance mattered, I'd be in a 45day GIC.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My 1year return is okay, my 5 year return is phenomenal.

As the stocks were flying up like rockets, I fully anticipated and expected period of lower performance. I like to take a broader bigger picture view, and it drives me crazy how people look at stocks over such a short time period.

My hold time is DECADES, why would I care about 6 week performance? If 6wk performance mattered, I'd be in a 45day GIC.
Ahhhh. Okay. Thanks for clarifying. I was curious what your reference was.

2021 was a gimme so I would think most on this forum have a positive 1 year return. I mentioned 6 week because I peaked at about +6.5% ytd in late March, but am now now +/- break even ytd after the bump today.

I am close to retirement and more focused on the dividends and distributions for our source of income. Now in my 50s, I can only hope I have decades to spend it. Haha Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
149 Posts

2021 was a gimme so I would think most on this forum have a positive 1 year return. I mentioned 6 week because I peaked at about +6.5% ytd in late March, but am now now +/- break even ytd after the bump today.

I am close to retirement and more focused on the dividends and distributions for our source of income. Now in my 50s, I can only hope I have decades to spend it. Haha Thanks for responding.
Down 6 percent YTD but last year I ended with 14 percent... can't complain and over 15 years I hope to average 6 percent to hit my goals...so these short term bumps I try to ignore

·
Registered
11,878 Posts

I think that's an important point, it really matters what your reference is, and I think most people are using the wrong reference.

FYI, since you're in your 50's, I'd build out my retirement financing plan and start moving accordingly. I don't think you should lock it all into GICs the day you enter retirement.
I worked with a guy and we talked finances a LOT.
In 2006 we talked about asset allocation and it was time for him to transition for retirement, but he held on in 2007 hoping to squeak out a little bit more. 2008 was a tough year for his equities.
He retired in 2009.... He really regretted not following his plan.

That dramatically impacted my perception/opinion of volitility and the importance of having a plan.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

If you're in S&P 500 index funds you'd be down year over year. You would have to go back 13.5 months (to April 1st 2021) to get a positive return. If you're stock picking you could be up, down, or sideways.

On the other hand most of my Canadian picks are still up year over year. XIU is also up more than 5%.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #910 ·
I don't really see the big deal with the market in the big picture.

Stocks increased an incredible +60% from 2019 to the 2021 high.

And so far stocks are only down 15% from the all time high. Even if they fell another 30% (very possible) we just end up back at the 2019 level.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts

And so far stocks are only down 15% from the all time high. Even if they fell another 30% (very possible) we just end up back at the 2019 level.
Yup, it's like people don't look at a graph showing volitility, then wonder why stocks swing up and down.

It's important to note that people on this board are self-selected, and some of them are talking about crashes and other nonsense.

Somewhat tech comfortable.
Interested in finance/money
Many claim some level of financial knowledge.

The general population is even less knowledgable and informed... scary thought.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

Hopefully we will see five years low by fall end. Then another five to ten years to reach all time highs. That would do a good job.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If anyone thinks the NASDAQ is returning to its highs any time soon, you could speculate on TQQQ. If the NASDAQ bounces back you couple triple your money. Extremely risky proposition obviously (not my kind of thing).
Nope. I've already taken the other side of that trade. I have a 10 year bet that SVC will out preform QQQ starting Dec 6 2020. Must say its looking in my favor in the early rounds.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think that's an important point, it really matters what your reference is, and I think most people are using the wrong reference.

FYI, since you're in your 50's, I'd build out my retirement financing plan and start moving accordingly. I don't think you should lock it all into GICs the day you enter retirement.
I worked with a guy and we talked finances a LOT.
In 2006 we talked about asset allocation and it was time for him to transition for retirement, but he held on in 2007 hoping to squeak out a little bit more. 2008 was a tough year for his equities.
He retired in 2009.... He really regretted not following his plan.

That dramatically impacted my perception/opinion of volitility and the importance of having a plan.
Our retirement plan is pretty much done. We have stopped buying more equities and we're now focused on building up a large cash reserve that will become a GIC ladder at retirement.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Our retirement plan is pretty much done. We have stopped buying more equities and we're now focused on building up a large cash reserve that will become a GIC ladder at retirement.
I'd just question if over 20 years of retirement if all GIC makes sense.
I'd say for the first 5-10 years at least I'd keep some in stocks. But of course my plan isn't your plan.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd just question if over 20 years of retirement if all GIC makes sense.
I'd say for the first 5-10 years at least I'd keep some in stocks. But of course my plan isn't your plan.
We are currently ~85 percent in stocks (mostly individual stocks, but also a couple ETF's). The dividends & distributions from our equity will provide us with a comfortable retirement. We have now started keeping the dividends and distributions in cash as opposed to buying more stocks. This coupled with savings from our employment income between now and retirement and a couple large one off payments I will receive from work, should get us closer to 70/30 when we start retirement. We will use the interest from the GIC ladder for additional spending/gifting/donating.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
What a nice start of the day. Let’s get to five years reverse highs by fall.
Are you acting on the current market trend? By this I mean are you shorting, playing options, or buying? Not all sectors are experiencing reverse highs. In fact some are at 52 week highs. Are you rotating sectors in any way? Or are you waiting for fall or a certain percentage drop? You seem to be certain we are going to hit 5 year lows. I think the current correction is healthy to take out some of the hype, but 5 year lows would have larger impacts on the overall economy. For that reason I hope that you are wrong on your forecast. I apologize for so many questions but I am trying to understand if you have a plan as to what you will buy and when.

901 - 920 of 981 Posts