Canadian Money Forum banner
901 - 908 of 908 Posts

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I am also curious. What highs are you referring to?

Your all time high as of today? 6 weeks go???
My 1year return is okay, my 5 year return is phenomenal.

As the stocks were flying up like rockets, I fully anticipated and expected period of lower performance. I like to take a broader bigger picture view, and it drives me crazy how people look at stocks over such a short time period.

My hold time is DECADES, why would I care about 6 week performance? If 6wk performance mattered, I'd be in a 45day GIC.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My 1year return is okay, my 5 year return is phenomenal.

As the stocks were flying up like rockets, I fully anticipated and expected period of lower performance. I like to take a broader bigger picture view, and it drives me crazy how people look at stocks over such a short time period.

My hold time is DECADES, why would I care about 6 week performance? If 6wk performance mattered, I'd be in a 45day GIC.
Ahhhh. Okay. Thanks for clarifying. I was curious what your reference was.

2021 was a gimme so I would think most on this forum have a positive 1 year return. I mentioned 6 week because I peaked at about +6.5% ytd in late March, but am now now +/- break even ytd after the bump today.

I am close to retirement and more focused on the dividends and distributions for our source of income. Now in my 50s, I can only hope I have decades to spend it. Haha Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
126 Posts

2021 was a gimme so I would think most on this forum have a positive 1 year return. I mentioned 6 week because I peaked at about +6.5% ytd in late March, but am now now +/- break even ytd after the bump today.

I am close to retirement and more focused on the dividends and distributions for our source of income. Now in my 50s, I can only hope I have decades to spend it. Haha Thanks for responding.
Down 6 percent YTD but last year I ended with 14 percent... can't complain and over 15 years I hope to average 6 percent to hit my goals...so these short term bumps I try to ignore

·
Registered
10,652 Posts

I think that's an important point, it really matters what your reference is, and I think most people are using the wrong reference.

FYI, since you're in your 50's, I'd build out my retirement financing plan and start moving accordingly. I don't think you should lock it all into GICs the day you enter retirement.
I worked with a guy and we talked finances a LOT.
In 2006 we talked about asset allocation and it was time for him to transition for retirement, but he held on in 2007 hoping to squeak out a little bit more. 2008 was a tough year for his equities.
He retired in 2009.... He really regretted not following his plan.

That dramatically impacted my perception/opinion of volitility and the importance of having a plan.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

If you're in S&P 500 index funds you'd be down year over year. You would have to go back 13.5 months (to April 1st 2021) to get a positive return. If you're stock picking you could be up, down, or sideways.

On the other hand most of my Canadian picks are still up year over year. XIU is also up more than 5%.

901 - 908 of 908 Posts