Canadian Money Forum banner
701 - 720 of 964 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Yup. As I keep saying, growth stocks will be riskier than ever this year and in 2023.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Brand

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
New ATH for me, so yes still enjoying the highs, as I am very heavily weighted to value, a.k.a. energy, financials, and materials/cyclicals. Also of note these areas did pretty well after the dot com bust; energy went on a tear for 6 years.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Growth stocks. Some of them even make money.
  • BABA -60% from ATH
  • BYND -70% from ATH
  • NIO -53% from ATH
  • SNAP -55% from ATH
  • SPCE -83% from ATH
  • SPOT -43% from ATH
  • SQ -55% from ATH
  • PLTR -65% from ATH
  • PLUG -70% from ATH
  • PTON -82% from ATH
  • PYPL -42% from ATH
  • ZM -65% from ATH

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Canadian banks are very lucrative because they are a protected oligarchy running on archaic mainframes and can lend magic money that doesn't actually exist

Eventually Canadians will want access to the same innovation that is blooming in other countries. SHOP will be a shorter flash in the pan than Nortel and Blackberry if we don't learn from our ignorance

Pierre sees this coming. He is setting up for a long term career in politics unlike the boomers who will fade away into luxurious LTC facilities

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Anyone is taking some profits in financials? Bank stocks are insane. More than doubled in the last 2 years. Unhealthy? Or banks are now making double money? I doubt that.
As always, it's hard to predict. I prefer to hold bank stocks when they are more expensive, and buy them when they are on sale, which comes around every couple of years. My last bank purchases were in 2020; BMO at $63, BNS at $50, CIBC at $78, RY at $87. So while I might not buy BNS at $93 today, I am not really interested in selling, because you just never know when to get back in. What if it drops to $80, and you think "I'll wait for $75", and it goes to $100? Whoops.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Anyone is taking some profits in financials? Bank stocks are insane. More than doubled in the last 2 years. Unhealthy? Or banks are now making double money? I doubt that.
Just to nitpick, if you are going to ask if banks are making double earnings because their share price has doubled from their lows during the pandemic, you also need to ask if banks made 40% less when their share price dropped correspondingly from their pre-pandemic price levels.

Instead, I think the more fair numbers to use are pre-pandemic to now which show more like a 50% gain. That said, I don't think you'll see that earning have grown 50% from 2019 to today. However, IIRC, pre-pandemic, bank share prices had stalled for a couple of years. Steve Eisman of the Big Short fame was shorting the Canadian bank stocks in 2019 expecting a normalization of the credit credit cycle with earnings needing to be allocated to reserves to account for bad loans. With OFSI imposing its dividend and share buyback restrictions on financial institutions to build up capital reserves for pandemic armageddon, government stimulus, and then the worst not happening, banks are now flush with cash and don't need to allocate more earnings to bad loans which is now the opposite of what Eisman was basing his short on.
And no, I am not advocating buying bank stocks based on this. :)

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
They seem crazy pricey for new money but I’m not selling any either as long as they continue spewing more and more dividends my way

My kids will be happy executors and sell them once I croak

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I have been nibbling on some banks here and there, but am finding it difficult to justify these prices. I last bought some BMO at $131 and RY at $141...

I tried to get CM at $159 but it ran away from me and I don't want to pay over 160.

Honestly, the best deal right now looks like National Bank. I'm overweight BNS so won't be adding anymore for a while.

701 - 720 of 964 Posts