Canadian Money Forum banner
681 - 700 of 951 Posts

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
May I suggest that a moderator move the latest series of posts to the Politics thread? It's pretty off-topic for this thread.
If you don't think government and central bankster policy have anything to do with the topic of all time highs during a pandemic when everyone was staying at home.. I got news for you

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
I think Wiki has got it about right. Populist, libertarian and selfish. A non-starter fringe element, not at all Canadian mainstream.
I'd unfortunately mostly agree.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

Liberalism is being increasingly perceived as a "far-right" ideology.

I also unfortunately agree they're the only party listed as "Canadian Nationalism", which is a really sad state.
Canadian nationalism seeks to promote the unity, independence, and well-being of Canada and the Canadian people.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I think that the PPC may do better than the support of 5% of voting Canadians next time. Many like me voted strategically rather than vote for the economy. At any rate that is for a future election...we have to survive 3 more years of steaming piles of Liberal generated debt first.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
I think that the PPC may do better than the support of 5% of voting Canadians next time. Many like me voted strategically rather than vote for the economy. At any rate that is for a future election...we have to survive 3 more years of steaming piles of Liberal generated debt first.
Survive 3 more years?

We're already pretty much dead.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am a lifelong leftie but never much liked Trudeau and think "You'll forgive me if i don't think about monetary policy" should have been an immediately fireable offense given how important monetary policy is to the lives of Canadians in so many ways. As an aside, being a leftie I am no free market fundamentalist, but I am still baffled that the price (interest rates) of the most important economic commodity (money) is still set by a few old guys in suits. That is soviet politburo type stuff and no, i am not that much of a leftie that this would make sense to me. Chrystia Freeland referring to Canadians' savings as "preloaded stimulus" to be unlocked by the federal government was equally repugnant to me for other reasons.

Anyway, there is no need to be upset. Just take steps to protect yourself if you can. Indeed, those with nimbleness of mind and spirit may even be able to profit from the dislocations and general chaos of our age, although it probably takes a bit of luck too.

·
Registered
19,180 Posts
Are you sure you want the PM to dictate to the BOC what the monetary policy should be ?

Trump tried that in the US....demanding the Fed lower interest rates to goose the economy and increase his re-election chances.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
People don’t remember
The SP500 was at 1400 in 2000 and it was still at 1400 in 2012

Even in the USA from about 1966 to about 1982 the market was down for over 15 years.

Also from 1932 to about 1954 - 22 years.

SP500 , 2021 4800, and 2032 4800 ??? It’s possible isn’t it.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
People don’t remember

Even in the USA from about 1966 to about 1982 the market was down for over 15 years.

I have a business newspaper from 2011, I believe.

And yes, the SPX was 1400. I refuse to throw it out.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
People don’t remember

Yes, I remember the investing climate in 2011 quite well. The S&P 500 had no return for a decade. Don't forget to survey the market climate from that time when considering it. Many were concluding that the US was "done", that you could not make money in US stocks, and that the US stock market was past its prime, and that the future was elsewhere. So, to actually invest and take advantage of the jump from 1400 to 4800, well, easier said than done.

Maybe the S&P 500 will still be 4800 in 2032. I wouldn't necessarily bet against it. But I wouldn't bet on it being 1400 in 2032 either.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Samsung made the OLED display, NAND flash, and DRAM chips in the iPhone. It's currently the only company capable of manufacturing these items at the volume that Apple needs.
Samsung Electro-Mechanics will be supplying the lenses for the iPhone 12 cameras, more specifically 6P lenses, while next year it will provide 5P to 7P ones for the iPhone 13 series. Famed Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo already tipped that it will be an iPhone 14 model that will get periscope zoom lenses at the earliest, and the Korean report confirms that they will be provided by Samsung, too.

now interesting part, Samsung makes more money (16 PE plus 4% dividend) than apple by Samsung shareholders don’t feel it (share price lost almost 10% last year).
market cap of the Apple hit 3 trillion dollar today, while Samsung, company that makes iPhones only 0.5 t

that how “efficient market“ works.
no index in the world got this much advertisement as American

·
Registered
24,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
Yes, I remember the investing climate in 2011 quite well. The S&P 500 had no return for a decade. Don't forget to survey the market climate from that time when considering it. Many were concluding that the US was "done", that you could not make money in US stocks, and that the US stock market was past its prime, and that the future was elsewhere. So, to actually invest and take advantage of the jump from 1400 to 4800, well, easier said than done.
It's funny how the mood of the day changes, and how it's quickly forgotten as well.

It wasn't too long ago, and there are many threads on this at CMF, when the Canadian index looked like it was going nowhere. People posted about how the Canadian index was broken and there was no point investing in Canadian equities.

But now the 3 year return of XIC is 18% per year, and the 10 year return is a pretty amazing 9%.

It's just human nature. People give up, abandon (and sell) an asset when it's disappointing, and then miss out.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
how the mood of the day changes
Could not agree more. Last year January, everyone was talking green energy, ICLN, and how oil is dirty and going to disappear (overnight)
now the mood changed, now everyone is talking about selling all and going into SPY, VOO etc.
I would be surprised if we going to finish 2022 with negative returns (SPY,) and people will be bashing them up in one year.
Everyone wants to buy what Is going up. No one wants to buy depreciating assets.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The same routine for me every 6 months.

Look at the 11 sub indices we hold individual positions in. Each sub has 5-6 different stock holdings.

Sub indices bigger than 9% get hair cut, either from the tallest poppies, or sell the weakest runt wholesale.

Then take that cash and reinforce groups running well under 9%.

Here do we buy more of ex holdings or look for a new position that has been beat down that looks to have some sun in the wings. That is one of the harder steps.

Then we look at how we are over all balanced.

I aim about 16% int'l 16% usa, and 16% maple. Then rest is bonds, reits and preferreds, and the mix there is also adjusted.

Keeping the overall boat even means you you are best ready for waves regardless of what direction they come from.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Today’s FOMC minutes make clear that discussions about more than three rate hikes and outright quantitative tightening this year are on the table,"

I am surprised that “efficient market” still reacts to blablabla.

NASDAQ -3.34%
SPY -2%
Dow -400 points (1%)

681 - 700 of 951 Posts