Canadian Money Forum banner
561 - 580 of 981 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
As waywardson pointed out they don't include the downpayment you can invest. I think with these huge down payments they have to make on million dollar homes to invest that money would make a difference. Condo fees of 147 are very low too. Mine is 400/month. Maybe the report should only be used if your situation matches the figures they give. Just to add lets not forget the interest being paidbon renovations as most are using helocs.
Trying to have an all inclusive study summary as they had, makes little sense. As did mixing up condos and detached single owner homes.
Buying a condo, having to pay condo fees and being subject to a condo associations decisions is not something I would contemplate. However, several friends of ours have. Some of their experiences, I would want to avoid!

My image of a family home for a family starting out, is a detached home, likely in a subdivision where other like minded families live. This is what many young Canadians aspire to. Very few equivalent homes are on the rental market, so it would be hard to do a proper comparison even on this small slice of the rental/own question. It might work for condos, but if so he should have stuck with that comparison.

This subthread may be a bit off-subject, but I imagine the question could equally apply to home owners as well as investors. Our home and our investments are both experience highs. Not excited about either really :)

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I'd like to see a asphalt shingle roof last 15 years in most parts of Canada, much less 25.
Too many people allow their homes to decay too long. One reason why so many resales are priced so much less than new builds of a similar type. That is personal choice of course how/where they wish to spend their money and/or maintain value. Different folks - different strokes but it may not ultimately be best value.

As an aside, cedar shake roofs were extremely popular here due to the dry climate, but the Okanagan Mountain fire in 2003 in which over 400 homes were lost was in large part due to embers catching homes on fire and the fire dept overwhelmed. Since then, cedar shake roofs were banned on new builds and homeowners have been slowly replacing them as we did circa 2015. Too many homes around here are continuing to patch those roofs with new shakes stuck in here and there to replace curled and split shakes rather than footing the bill to just replace the entire cedar shake roof at $15k or so. They will likely pay a price soon for being 'cheap'.

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
As an aside, cedar shake roofs were extremely popular here due to the dry climate, but the Okanagan Mountain fire in 2003 in which over 400 homes were lost was in large part due to embers catching homes on fire and the fire dept overwhelmed. Since then, cedar shake roofs were banned on new builds and homeowners have been slowly replacing them as we did circa 2015. Too many homes around here are continuing to patch those roofs with new shakes stuck in here and there to replace curled and split shakes rather than footing the bill to just replace the entire cedar shake roof at $15k or so. They will likely pay a price soon for being 'cheap'.
Wow, I had not heard about that.

Wouldn't the home insurer have something to say about this, considering the major fire risk?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I don't think any of the fire insurers charge extra for those that continue to hold on to their current cedar shake roofs, or if they do, we have not heard about it. Your comment actually reminds me to check on whether we advised our insurer back in 2015? about the change in our roof. I suspect, though, insurers are going to start asking more questions about 'wildland interfaces' and building materials used by folks in the boonies that are in the interfaces. Quite a few houses were lost around Okanagan Lake this past wildfire season because fire departments could not hose down them all from embers et al. It should be a development permit requirement to use fire resistant materials in such locations. A topic for a different thread......

Getting back on topic, market looks green this morning but I think the new Omnicron mutation is going to buffet markets for at least December until much more is known about this variant. Moderna says they have started work on a variant of mRNA vaccine to deal with the new variant and it would be early 2022 when they could mass produce. This kind of thing may well be what we are going to live with for some time (years) to come.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I don't think any of the fire insurers charge extra for those that continue to hold on to their current cedar shake roofs, or if they do, we have not heard about it. Your comment actually reminds me to check on whether we advised our insurer back in 2015? about the change in our roof.
FWW when we went with a metal roof, the insurance company gave us a small discount, so it is possible it may affect premiums. I think anything materially different in the house should be mentioned as it could affect rates.

As far as the highs are concerned and dip during Friday, even with the big "sell off" I didn't see much change in my portfolio outside of regular ups and downs.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Such a funny intraday. Started moving up nearly +2%, finished going down nearly -2%. (For NASDAQ)

But that's nothing, indices have barely lost between -4% and -6% from their peak.

This end of year will be expected. Going down. Either flat from here to EOY or down by another -5%, maybe even -10%.
We have one last month to go down another -5%.

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
A couple more days at this rate and TSX will cross under the 200 DMA.
S&P is nowhere near.
But the Dow Jones index and Russell 2000 just fell below their 200 day average.

Same for the MSCI EAFE. So globally speaking it's looking like a rather bearish picture.

Of course I'm sure everyone has a well diversified portfolio including lots of bonds, so it shouldn't be a concern in any case.

·
Registered
628 Posts
These examples just mean that you had a second part-time job as a home handyman. There is nothing wrong with that but many are not capable.
Where one considers jobs five years apart or more "part-time", I suppose so.

As I say - I haven't experienced the items that seemed to be lumped in with monthly payments at anywhere close to similar frequency.

Cheers

·
Registered
594 Posts
.......Of course I'm sure everyone has a well diversified portfolio including lots of bonds, so it shouldn't be a concern in any case.
Not a lot of bonds in our portfolio, but the dividends and distributions were unaffected so no concern. The pullback has been a good opportunity to deploy some spare cash. Some great dividend increases this week as well.

·
Registered
Mercedes GLK250
119 Posts
Where one considers jobs five years apart or more "part-time", I suppose so.

As I say - I haven't experienced the items that seemed to be lumped in with monthly payments at anywhere close to similar frequency.

Cheers
YouTube goes a long way to deal with the delays of infrequent repairs for those with aptitude.

I have done both and DIY is about 60% cheaper. And you can just forget about the 40% that was not cash.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Did you find some deals?
I am a dividend investor and and focus on those with A- or better credit rating. I have been primarily adding to existing holdings versus adding new ones. I set a minimum dollar amount threshold and then move up the threshold when there are no holdings below. (I do have a number of holdings that far exceed the minimum)

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
Next week could get interesting. The Federal Reserve has a decision that everyone is watching, since they will talk about tapering and maybe about rate increases too.

It's possible next week could be volatile, not that it really matters. Sometimes it's just fun to watch.

561 - 580 of 981 Posts