Canadian Money Forum banner
261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Significant residential ties with Canada include:

Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include:

• personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture
  • social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations
  • economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards
  • a Canadian driver's licence
  • a Canadian passport
  • health insurance with a Canadian province or territory
Here in Canada the meaning of home and house is used interchangeably. Go figure.
No, the terms "house" and "home" are not interchangeable, they often have significant overlap, but they're actually different terms with slightly different meanings.

I actually pointed out this distinction when I posted the link you quoted.

A house typically means a detached or semi detached building for residential purposes.
A home, means your personal residence.

If you own a house and rent it out, it isn't your home.
If you live in condo, it is your home, even though it isn't a house.

·
Registered
829 Posts
World at risk of sudden, steep selloffs in stocks, housing market, IMF warns
IMF says home prices could decline by 14 per cent over next three years in a worst-case scenario in advanced economies

one day those predictions will turn out.

Since end-August, the S&P500 has been on its longest downward trend post-COVID. Currently down over 4%. Everyone is waiting for a correction, but we could already be in a bear market.

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
Lots of space to go yet to get to a 20% bear. I don't foresee it absent a SARs type covid variant.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Well if a 20% pull back hits it means I'll only be up 10% for the year plus dividends. Most here will be in the same boat.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Markets peaked in early September but the commodity/value trade has been soaring for the last 3 weeks especially with little pullback, unlike the push/pull of the previous 5-6 months between value and growth.

Enjoying the ride. Up nearly 25% vs -2.5% S&P 500 just since early September, one of my biggest delta outperformances over a 6 week period ever. Copper, oil, lumber, natural gas. Boom.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
If you're in O&G or commodities you're probably set for the next rotation

I'm up like 10x this year and I feel like the last leg of this bubble could be a blow off before the crash

Never let a crisis go to waste they say

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Last week I day traded a meme and realized more gainz than my salary in a matter of hours

No wonder everyone is quitting their day jobs. It's a huge opportunity cost to go to work these dayz

How much longer can the insanity last

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Last week I day traded a meme and realized more gainz than my salary in a matter of hours
Have you considered quitting your job to trade full time? Assuming your results can be reliably replicated, it might be a better use of your time than your regular job.

·
Registered
829 Posts
New oil highs?
Should buy SU
The scary part is that $2.00 gas might be the good news. Because while the rest of us seem to have been happy to ignore the good old laws of supply and demand, Adam Rozencwajg, he of those spot-on predictions, has been busy tracking the oil market these last 12 months. Based on how much oil is currently being produced — and more importantly, how much can be produced in the near future — he says the smart money sees the cost of oil soaring to US$150 and even $200 a barrel.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Well its not Alberta's first oil boom. Hopefully this time we can use the leverage to dump Eastern Canada and go our own way.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Have you considered quitting your job to trade full time? Assuming your results can be reliably replicated, it might be a better use of your time than your regular job.
Of course.

Although I don't want to spend more time trading. My job includes restrictions due to the pandemic which gave me a lot more time to follow markets and trade. I'll still spend some rainy days rebalancing but ultimately more freedom means less screen time ideally

The markets should settle down and travel should go back to normal in time. US land borders finally reopening

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Well its not Alberta's first oil boom. Hopefully this time we can use the leverage to dump Eastern Canada and go our own way.
Canada needs to better manage the wealth fund this time before Alberta burns it all to spite itself again. Need to leverage it to develop new industries for Albertans

Texas is using nat gas flares that would otherwise be wasted to mine BTC. Hut 8 is also doing this in Alberta. Hopefully Albertan conservatives can embrace some new fangled tech

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Albertans are a standard deviation or two smarter than your typical Canadian, especially the French ones

Hopefully they will take pity on us ungifted second class citizens

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It IS the most educated province, but it'll be interesting to see how the 'test the separatism waters' referendum question works out next week.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts