Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Bets are open. Will BTC & ETH reach new ATH?
Given insane monetary policies and humans being humans I'm watching for the blow off top

Maybe late 2021 for BTC then early 2022 for ETH similar to the 2017-2018 blow off. ADA should settle down with much more of the market share imo. Assuming smart contracts launch smoothly.

All the dog coins go to heaven

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Everything goes up when you debase your unit of measurement

It's like shrinking the length of a meter just to make it appear the football field got longer when it actually got shorter

You need to measure with a finite unit

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
The reality is that diversified investors continue to beat inflation. And generally will, over the long term.
Yes who knew that debasing the fiat currency would reward the wealthy. It all comes down to luck, right?

As long as the wealthy don't spend too much on peasant consumer goods & services the CPI should be an accurate measurement

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
The level of complacency in the market is incredible.

Nobody really thinks stocks will fall and nobody has any fear. I wonder how long we can go on like this... it's just amazing how quickly everyone forgets.
I think the savvy investor is aware that stocks can fall. Problem is this conservative investor gives in after being punished every time the Fed props up the market like helicopter parents

The last time the Fed announced a taper the market had a "taper tantrum" like spoiled brats and the the rich parents gave in and open up the candy drawer rather than face reality. The spoiled kids are bringing down the entire neighborhood now. China wants to keep up with the Joneses so they do the same

Of course there are the young investors who are disenfranchised from stagnant salaries and inflated costs who just yolo into into meme stocks. They are playing with relatively smaller amounts

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Inflation is an increase in the money supply.
Inflation is a result of an increase in the money supply

Increasing the money supply debases its value. It benefits those who get to spend it first

Hence a country like El Salvador is screwed for using USD

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Plus much of the maintenance such a lawn maintenance and snow removal is often unpaid servitude that owners often bear themselves. I know a number of former owners who love the personal time they get back.
Yup. I've owned a few houses and rented a few outside of Canada.

The deck needed to be repainted on the last house. I spent a lot of time painting shingled houses, barns etc as a teen so a little deck looked easy enough. Just a small weekend project right? After multiple trips to Rona and a small fortune spent on supplies I found myself wasting several weekends. The buyer immediately tore that deck down for an expansion.

If you are good to your landlord and they are good to you renting is great. I always pay on time and respect their property as if it was my own and they've been great for me. They are always happy to look after the place if I'm gone since it is theirs. My capital does much better invested elsewhere because I can trade and diversify. No surprise property tax and insurance rate hikes

I much prefer renting

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
If you're in O&G or commodities you're probably set for the next rotation

I'm up like 10x this year and I feel like the last leg of this bubble could be a blow off before the crash

Never let a crisis go to waste they say

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Last week I day traded a meme and realized more gainz than my salary in a matter of hours

No wonder everyone is quitting their day jobs. It's a huge opportunity cost to go to work these dayz

How much longer can the insanity last

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Have you considered quitting your job to trade full time? Assuming your results can be reliably replicated, it might be a better use of your time than your regular job.
Of course.

Although I don't want to spend more time trading. My job includes restrictions due to the pandemic which gave me a lot more time to follow markets and trade. I'll still spend some rainy days rebalancing but ultimately more freedom means less screen time ideally

The markets should settle down and travel should go back to normal in time. US land borders finally reopening

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Well its not Alberta's first oil boom. Hopefully this time we can use the leverage to dump Eastern Canada and go our own way.
Canada needs to better manage the wealth fund this time before Alberta burns it all to spite itself again. Need to leverage it to develop new industries for Albertans

Texas is using nat gas flares that would otherwise be wasted to mine BTC. Hut 8 is also doing this in Alberta. Hopefully Albertan conservatives can embrace some new fangled tech

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Albertans are a standard deviation or two smarter than your typical Canadian, especially the French ones

Hopefully they will take pity on us ungifted second class citizens

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I agree with @MarcoE about diversification but I also think bonds are overrated and broken now. I held bonds and the responsible diversified assets mentioned up until the pandemic.

In March 2020 everything that was liquid crashed including bonds. This defeated the purpose of bonds. I held bonds to be able to rebalance during a fire sale - but nothing held up not even gold. Luckily I had emergency funds that I could deploy during the crash. It has more than 10x since while bonds were lucky to break even again. I ditched the pathetic bonds and won't look back

Now I hold algorithmic stablecoins that earn good yield unlike bonds and can be used to rebalance (I have used them for this several times now) Stablecoins are not all created equal, need to be regulated, and do pose a risk if you don't understand what they are. But bonds on the other hand are being manipulated, yield below inflation before tax, and don't hold up when you need them

Diversification is huge for the opportunity to rebalance during volatility. Bonds are broken imo and holding 50% of anything is far too much. Ideally 30-40% max of any asset class imo

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Google "Greg Foss bonds" on youtube or podcasts (30 years in Canadian finance and bonds) He explains how nobody wanted to buy bonds when they were new and lucrative

Sound familiar? People have an aversion to shiny new things. Stablecoins are more advanced and capital efficient today but people are scared of them like they were bonds when they were new. There is good risk adjusted yield for those who dare to learn something new

Now everyone says you need to hold 40-60% bonds in case of a crash. Like we had last year.. With everyone holding 40-60% bonds the yield just isn't there today imo. Markets are markets. Supply and demand. As more people get into stablecoins I'm sure the yields will come down as well.

I am far more agile with today's tech and don't need to sit around holding bonds in case I will want them in the next crisis even though they didn't help last time. If I can see a use for bonds on the horizon I can switch back in a heartbeat with today's tech

Maybe when all the financial advisoor experts start a trend to hold 40-60% stablecoins I can balance back into bonds

1 - 20 of 61 Posts