Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on these threads trade, buy or sell European options?

Anyone know if there is an option calendar for European listed stocks and if these can be traded, bought or sold through a Canadian broker

Would like to get more info, a link to them and specifically how from Canada we can buy or sell options on European stocks

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have never traded European options, I primarily use questrade and as far as i know you can not trade them on questrade.
Just remember European options are traded differently than American ones, they can only be exercised on the fixed date.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Anyone know if there is an option calendar for European listed stocks and if these can be traded, bought or sold through a Canadian broker

Would like to get more info, a link to them and specifically how from Canada we can buy or sell options on European stocks

Thanks
can anyone help on this question above ... FT can you or Canadian Capitalist get someone you know to get an answer for me, what about Preet?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Thanks
I will see what I can dig up for you. I "think" that interactive brokers may have access to European options and they seem to have access to the most international markets.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You might be able to trade options on stocks that European companies that maintain North American listings known as ADRs (American Depository Receipts). Otherwise, you need a broker that allows you to trade on other exchanges. I think Canaccord offers that capability, but you probably need a high net worth to get that service.

If you poke around the Interactive Brokers website, it appears that they give access to international markets, though they are a direct-access broker. Are you sure you need this kind of service? These kinds of services are more suited to active traders than investors. You will probably have to pay monthly for market data, along with various other fees. It's probably not worth it if you are only going to place a few options trades per year.

As Financial Highway mentioned, "European Option" also refers to a style of option contract that can only be exercised on the expiration date. "American Options" can be exercised at any time up and including the expiration date. There are many other styles of options with peculiar names, but they are not necessarily geographically restricted. Some American-style options trade on European option exchanges.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was writing this and Robillard posted his great response before I hit submit (some redundant info):

There is some confusion to address first.

I think the original question was asking about trading options on European-listed stocks, as opposed to European style options (which are not exercisable until expiry). European style options are available on North American securities (although mostly OTC, if not exclusively OTC). NOTE: you can still buy/sell European style options before expiry (and thus claim your profits if ITM).

As to the original question:

http://www.euronext.com/editorial/wide/editorial-3511-EN.html for a calendar for Euronext's LIFFE markets. You can find the calendars for other European exchanges by looking on the respective exchange websites. Make sure to note liquidity.

For access from a Canadian brokerage: http://www.interactivebrokers.ca/en/p.php?f=exchanges&ib_entity=ca - although I have no experience with them.

Hope that helps! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts