Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,736 Posts
There is no crypto authority. Anyone can verify transactions themselves. That is a core point

It's the exact same discussions I had about computers and smartphones. People would say who cares about some random web pages or apps and come up with all kinds of reasons they feel uncomfortable with change

For something like proof of attendance I think the difference is how the data is recorded rather than issued. Blockchain transactions can't be tampered like a central file on a computer can. You can't retroactively get that token or edit them after the fact.

This is huge for things like supply chain management. Sure there are always ways to mess with the system but let's be honest we are currently working with 19th century records that everyone knows is extremely easy to forge and tamper with

We can't really say exactly how they will be used but we can see there is massive potential.
You're missing my point.
You still have to trust that the authority who put it on the blockchain is who you think it is.

I could go put it on the Blockchain that I have an MIT degree, then all I have to do is put that key on the MIT website.
You can make a write only log file, you don't need a public blockchain for that.

I agree there is potential there, but there are a lot of holes to be filled.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That doesn't introduce any new issue that doesn't already exist. You could forge your own paper degree and make some random ink scribbles

If you make your own blockchain certification the time can not be forged. You also cannot edit blockchain transactions the way you can hack the MIT central database

I'm not a crypto expert but it seems to improve validity without down side/expense. I imagine MIT researched this far more than I

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The final Ethereum 2.0 testnet is up and there is now a launchpad walk-through to generate keys and deposit 32 test ETH

If you want some test crypto in a crypto wallet you can open a metamask account. If you post the address here I can send you test ETH (no value)

The Medalla testnet will activate on Tuesday. Within the first 24hrs there's already +18,000 validator accounts according to the Medalla beaconscan

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hold some ETH (leftover from the great bubble a few years back) but have limited knowledge about it, any explanation or thoughts as to why the recent uptick in July? Increased uses, public adoption, store of value given the US's declining situation?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
All of that and more.

There has been a lot of institutional interest. When I see +18,000 test nodes before the net has been activated while there are mere dozens active in chat with developers out of hundreds following.. I can only assume there are institutions involved

A lot of ETH will be locked up during phase 0-2 of ETH2 launch. How much ETH gets staked, how phase 0-2 goes and what the market does will all create uncertainty next few years. Hopefully things keep going this smoothly and the price continues a steady climb

It's a gamble for sure

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
ETH2 final testnet will go live Tues morning

ETH rallied 75% in 2 weeks, 250% since march, 2 year high
BTC is up 20%, 120% same time. Some say because of ETH

I started a spreadsheet to get my ACB and XIRR. I'm up over 200% XIRR. Trading fees are about 0.5% much lower than I thought.

Phase 0 and 1 of ETH2 should do well for the price as staked ETH will be locked up until phase 2

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Final testnet went live this morning. My validator and beacon chain synced up on their own while I was at work. I am now earning fake ETH

Relieved to see the CPU idling much better at 10-15% now. If it stays like this the old 2011 MacBook just might do. While syncing the beacon chain the CPUs were hitting 100% and the fan was constantly on. Sounds like 256GB SSD however may not be enough for the mainnet. If so I will need to swap the ubuntu and MacOS SSD around for 500GB

If I have to claim this as income I suppose I could claim a 1TB SSD expense. Should also buy a UPS to maximize up time

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
First 24 hrs

Attested 220/227
Proposed 1 block

Earned 0.0144 fake ETH (+$5USD) or +16% APR estimated

Many validators proposed 2 or 3 blocks and earned up to $10USD or +25% APR estimated. Looking to see if there's anything I can do to increase my chances of proposing more blocks but I believe this is just random luck

3 validators were slashed and the 3 validators that caught them earned +$30USD

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
All I have seen so far is that corporations are adapting the blockchain and ETH to develop their own internal use.

I see no reason they would require outside verification for their internal business and I doubt they would want it exposed anyways.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After 1 week the balance is up about $30USD of fake ETH. Estimated ROI is about 15% APR

On the 2nd day of testing participation rate dropped. I missed a string of blocks until they pushed an update. I haven't touched the laptop since day 2 and it didn't miss another block all week. Very smooth and hands off for week one of testing so far

I just ordered a new M.2 1TB SSD for my main PC. Plan is to setup my PC as the backup. I'll test a virtual machine otherwise I'll dual boot linux as a backup

That frees up another 500GB SSD to move into the laptop so it will have 2 x 500GB SSD. Plan is to setup the laptop to update itself and SSH remotely to monitor

21 - 30 of 30 Posts