Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
As I posted earlier, the problem with ETHE is that it has a massive premium to NAV, so you really aren't tracking Ethereum.

ETHE yesterday's close was 120
Today's low was 76.25 which is -36%
Then it rallied back to 104 currently ... that's +36% from today's low

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
As I posted earlier, the problem with ETHE is that it has a massive premium to NAV, so you really aren't tracking Ethereum.

ETHE yesterday's close was 120
Today's low was 76.25 which is -36%
Then it rallied back to 104 currently ... that's +36% from today's low
If your timing is right the gains will be magnified since the highest premium will be @ highest mania mood when players are most irrational. Institutional money can play this one plus others like me that do not understand how to buy ETH safely can play. Yes the high premium says were in irrational mode though I think it will get more irrational i.e., there are a lot of shorts bitcoin futures. The cryptos move somewhat together.

Warning do not put a lot on the table on this one, Though I would rather put some money on ETHE then buy a lotto ticket.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Ethereum 2.0 is close to launch

I'm running a test validator client on a dusty 2011 era laptop. Some are using a raspberry pi with an external SSD. The idea is to phase out mining which required increasingly expensive processors and electricity. You stake 32 ETH per node and get rewarded based on uptime and the % of ETH that is staked. I'm hoping for 10-15% APR. This provides incentive for people to maintain nodes, which improves the security and scalability of the DeFi network

Meanwhile fiat is being printed at unprecedented rates

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Meanwhile fiat is being printed at unprecedented rates
Sure is. Well, they just produced $5 trillion out of thin air a few months ago and didn't even suggest they will stop.

At the start of this year, the Canadian Dollar was worth 0.016 grams of gold and has declined to 0.012 grams of gold. Similar changes for the US Dollar.

One possible explanation is random/volatile trading in metals. Another possible explanation is a rapid devaluation of fiat.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Do cryptos have an inverse relationship with the dollar (like gold does)?

I think since cryptos could be mined, if demand picks up and prices go up enough, new supply will flood the market, so in a way it is a fiat (not like gold with a limited supply).

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
BTC is often compared to gold but it's simultaneously too novel and obsolete to established any relationship with fiat imo. It was designed to replicate gold in that it is finite and needs to be "mined" However whereas lost or forgotten gold could be found again, lost BTC keys from the early days will never be recovered.

I think since cryptos could be mined, if demand picks up and prices go up enough, new supply will flood the market, so in a way it is a fiat (not like gold with a limited supply).
Supply is a core design of any crypto currency. Mining becomes exponentially more difficult with supply. Even as technology improves mining is less lucrative as time goes on. It was deliberately designed not to be like a fiat.

Bitcoin addressed the supply question long ago however it's also slow and impractical like gold. Ethereum is addressing the performance and scalability question. It is a decentralized financial network. It is a programmable smart currency

Explaining ethereum now is like trying to explain the internet in 1990

·
Registered
3,716 Posts

Depends on the currency.
XMR (Monero) mines at I think .75XMR/minute, and will in the future drop to .3XMR/minute.

Some other currencies stopped mining, I think that's a bad idea.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts