Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve held the TD Science and tech MF, along with the TD Health Sciences MF for 15-20 years In my RSP. These are my last two MF holdings after moving to ETFs over the last 2 years.

MERs are 2%. I’m up 900+% and 600+% in each so pretty happy.

that being said, are there any lower cost ETFs that would mirror their performance/holdings?

thanks

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The Ark ETFs are great. ARKW Disruptive technology was the top returning US ETF over the past 5 yrs from ETF.com. ARKG Genomics was the top healthcare ETF.
They have Canadian versions from Emerge too - EARK and EAGB. The fees are high w trading ~ 1.8% but still worth it.

·
Registered
18,250 Posts
I’ve held the TD Science and tech MF, along with the TD Health Sciences MF for 15-20 years In my RSP. These are my last two MF holdings after moving to ETFs over the last 2 years.

MERs are 2%. I’m up 900+% and 600+% in each so pretty happy.

that being said, are there any lower cost ETFs that would mirror their performance/holdings?
Yeah the MERs are high. TD Science and Tech is a US-focused fund and its largest holdings are
Alibaba 6.7% (actually Chinese)
Amazon 5.9% (US)
Facebook 4.6% (US)
Netflix 4.4% (US)
Other top holdings: salesforce, workday, servicenow, alphabet (all US)

My guess is that the American QQQ ETF would be somewhat similar, though there are notable differences in holdings. You'll never find a precise match so I suggest trying to find an ETF which seems to match the performance most closely. Following performance figures are all in CAD

TD Science and Tech has performance:
1 year: 55%
5 years: 21% annualized
10 years: 23% annualized
15 years: 16% annualized

QQQ performance, with some calculations done to convert currencies:
1 year: 42%
5 years: 22% annualized
10 years: 23% annualized
15 years: 16% annualized

Looks like QQQ is equivalent. But more interestingly, your high-fee TD mutual fund isn't underperforming. The fund manager seems to be adding enough value to compensate for the high fees you're paying him/her. I'm not sure switching to QQQ is a win.

Consider that the mutual fund manager is constantly changing over time. They've clearly had some good fund managers. But if they get a bad fund manager, the performance could drop ... so from that angle, it might be better to go with an index ETF even if the performance has historically been the same. It would insulate you from 'manager risk'.

If you don't want to buy the US listed QQQ, there's an equivalent from BMO called ZNQ

ZNQ trades in CAD but tracks the same index as QQQ, so I think it would have historically had the same performance shown above (which matches your mutual fund's performance)

ZNQ - BMO NASDAQ 100 Equity Index ETF, and MER is 0.38%

1 - 4 of 4 Posts