Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forbes has decided to unpublish an article by award-winning climate activist Michael Shellenberger, in which he apologizes "for the climate scare we created over the last 30 years."
Schellenberger, a progressive, was named one of TIME's "Heroes of the Environment," while his book Break Through was heralded by WIRED as potentially "the best thing to happen to environmentalism since Rachel Carson's Silent Spring."

His book Apocalypse Never was widely praised as an 'eye-opening, fact-based approach' to climate science and 'engaging and well-researched.'

Now that he's apologized for three-decades of climate alarmism, Forbes has now blocked Shellenberger's article without explanation.

So, here it is:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
That's a good and apparently honest article. I wish Shellenberger all the best. His book is maybe the best thing that happened since the Skeptical Environmentalist was published.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
As usual the climate community is trying to muzzle dissent. One of their prophets left the church.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
There is of course some alarmism. It doesn't mean that any environmental concern or concern with emissions reductions is wrong. Rhetoric like AOC saying the world is going to end in 10 years or something is obviously wrong. The world will be here for another billion years, regardless of what we do. Whether humanity or human civilization continues is a different question. I also don't think climate change is any kind of risk of extinction for humans. We are quite adaptable, and even if 90% of us die, there will be plenty of humans around. I'm not sure I buy the argument that we are not in another mass extinction event which started tens of thousands of years ago. It is not caused by climate change, but more by how pervasive humans are as apex predators (we wiped out a lot of megafauna in prehistory) and more recently our ability to destroy vast swathes of habitat or hunt many more species to extinction with industrial efficiency. There is a much higher rate of species extinction today that has been typical in the recent past. In a hundred million years it ought to be noticeable in the fossil record.

Not sure what Shellenberg's angle is. Given his lack of nuance, it seems like he is pandering for book sales. Congrats guys, you fell for it.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sad part is real problems - including environmental ones - are being ignored because of the distraction of frantic exaggeration and distraction. I have been following the Climate Change issue since it was called Global Warming, nearly 40 years now, and none of their apocalyptic predictions have come true.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have been following the Climate Change issue since it was called Global Warming, nearly 40 years now, and none of their apocalyptic predictions have come true.

You are forgetting before Global Warming they called it Global Cooling. When that didn't work out they changed to Warming. Then that didn't work that well, so they changed it to Climate Change. I'm looking forward to the next edition - perhaps I'll see it on a sandwich sign board calling for the end of days.

ltr

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Next they'll say tobacco smoke causes lung cancer. Thank you for smoking!
When someone has no factual argument they often change to a different subject and pretend that the science is exactly the same. You're not fooling anyone...except maybe yourself.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
I'm fine. The fossil fuel industry is imploding, ahead of schedule. I think it's the people who rely on it for bread and butter that are worried.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
The fossil fuel industry will not be phased out in my lifetime and it will be fun to watch the climate changes advocates get educated on how much they rely on its products.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Alberta announced a big infrastructure spend and are still talking about pipelines.

Kenny is pumping money into a dying industry instead of using the money to transition their economy into something with a future.

Alberta is geographically located where they could serve California and western US markets.

They could be producing vehicles, farm equipment, logging equipment.........

Why aren't they developing a manufacturing base ? California alone is a huge market.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
If Alberta planned out up a couple of future fully serviced "auto zones" in the Province, they could lobby every vehicle and equipment manufacturer.

They could offer low tax rates for a few years, an educated workforce, universal health care provided, and most importantly access to a huge consumer market.

One assembly plant employs hundreds or thousands of workers, and they only assemble the parts.

The Tier II manufacturers supply all the parts needed and that is a lot more jobs than the oil industry provides.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
The fossil fuel industry will not be phased out in my lifetime and it will be fun to watch the climate changes advocates get educated on how much they rely on its products.
We'll continue to extract oil and use oil products for the foreseeable future, but the glory days of the industry (and massive rents extracted from the economy) are behind us.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We'll continue to extract oil and use oil products for the foreseeable future, but the glory days of the industry (and massive rents extracted from the economy) are behind us.
Natural gas and oil are still growing, NG is the fastest growing source of energy (in absolute units). And China's already set a new monthly import record for oil in May. And the losses from usage for passenger airplanes and ships will likely be made up from higher car usage as transit remains crushed.

And the reality is that the "massive rents" mostly ends up in the hands of government, even in Canada the Federal Government is the #1 beneficiary thanks to its surpluses from Alberta.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts