Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am all for doing what we can to improve the environment and influence climate change. But what really gets me, is when climate activists post misleading information.

In the UK, there is a proposed project to capture carbon (CO2) from one of their largest power stations and pipe it down below the North Sea

quoting from article:
Should it be built—and it’s a massive, very expensive if—Shell’s carbon-capture units would be affixed to the two of the four stacks of the Drax Power Station in North Yorkshire, which supplies 12 per cent of the U.K.’s power.
These units would collectively filter out and separate roughly eight million tons of carbon per year. The offending gas would then be piped about 160 kilometres and pumped 3,000 metres beneath the bed of the North Sea, where it would remain, effectively, forever.
Sounds like a worthwhile project, perhaps? But then the article includes this picture. These are NOT the stacks! These are cooling towers and the stuff you see above them, is water vapour. Just as innocuous as the cloud in the distant sky!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am all for doing what we can to improve the environment and influence climate change. But what really gets me, is when climate activists post misleading information.
The article was posted by journalists, not climate activists. The choice of photo is unfortunate— it does show Drax, but, you are right, it doesn’t show smoke stacks.

This isn’t intentional misinformation. It’s journalists without science degrees trying to convey science-based information. Sometimes they don’t get things quite right.

·
Super Moderator
3,435 Posts
This isn’t intentional misinformation. It’s journalists without science degrees trying to convey science-based information. Sometimes they don’t get things quite right.
Ignorance isn't an excuse, journalists should seek out proper information ... wait, isn't that "supposed to be" part of their job? No wonder more and more people have no trust for the media. They're more interested in getting readers than actually telling the truth.

·
Super Moderator
3,435 Posts
In the UK, there is a proposed project to capture carbon (CO2) from one of their largest power stations and pipe it down below the North Sea
lol, sweep the CO2 under the rug so to speak.

Headline in 10 years ... Small earthquake releases massive amounts of CO2 from North Sea.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts

Headline in 10 years ... Small earthquake releases massive amounts of CO2 from North Sea.
Climate activists have basically pushed the whole "environment" to be atmospheric CO2, with almost no nuance.
Massive pollution from (mining for) batteries... at least it's not atmospheric CO2.

It's such a simplistic view on "the environment" it's bound to be wrong.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In an attempt to keep coal fired stations running, a carbon capture process was developed and built in Saskatchewan. I believe the C02 eventually gets sequestered deep underground after in some cases being used to increase output of existing oil fields. They say it is not released to environment and stays "under the rug" . I presume the UK project would use the C02 in a similar way.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
They are both heavy oil production sites in Northern Alberta. I didn't think I needed comment but media always portrays the 1st photo when the 2nd photo portrays modern oil sands extraction.
I imagine showing caribou grazing on the 2nd site (I can't find that pic right now) would make a lot of activist heads explode.

·
Super Moderator
3,435 Posts
They are both heavy oil production sites in Northern Alberta. I didn't think I needed comment but media always portrays the 1st photo when the 2nd photo portrays modern oil sands extraction.
Ya, was obvious to me as well.
A quick checks shows about 80% were related to pic #2.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I imagine showing caribou grazing on the 2nd site (I can't find that pic right now) would make a lot of activist heads explode.
Of course, and the media along with the environmentalists love to show negative photos of the oil sands extraction. I always know when to discount an article or picture of the oil sands when they use the term "tar sands". That's an immediate flag to exit whatever you're reading.

In fact, according to the federal government on Oil Sands: Land Use and Reclamation: "Oil sands development is subject to environmental standards that are among the most stringent in the world. The Government of Alberta requires that companies remediate and reclaim 100 percent of the land after the oil sands have been extracted. Reclamation means that land is returned to a self-sustaining ecosystem with local vegetation and wildlife."

ltr

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
I think it is a better plan is to stop creating the problem than trying to hide it

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I think it is a better plan is to stop creating the problem than trying to hide it
There's no hiding. They remove the resource that helps Canada's economy, and then return the land better than it was before they started.

How is this bad in sags land?

ltr

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
If putting loads of topsoil and grass seeds on toxic land meets the requirement for "reclaiming" ancient boreal forests and waterways, we are not asking for much and are only kidding ourselves. I grant that it does look nicer in pictures though, except they should have photoshopped out the toxic tailing ponds in the background. Do they still shoot cannons to dissuade the waterfowl from landing in them ? I heard one sip of water and they dropped over dead.

Animals have returned to the restricted Chernoby nuclear accident zone, and some of them look normal. That doesn't mean I would want to move there.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Canadian taxpayers just gave Alberta $1.7 billion to clean up the wells abandoned by the oil industry. Good stewards of the land........too funny.

I support good paying union jobs for Albertans to clean up the mess, but I would prefer the oil companies paid for it.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Canadian taxpayers just gave Alberta $1.7 billion to clean up the wells abandoned by the oil industry. Good stewards of the land........too funny.
You're right, it's quite refreshing to see that the government has gotten together with the oil industry to clean up situations from the past that were less than what we want to see today to return the land to better than it was. I applaud the government in this regard.

ltr

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I support good paying union jobs for Albertans to clean up the mess, but I would prefer the oil companies paid for it.
It's not just Alberta or oil. There are thousands of abandoned mines dotted across Canada. Not that long ago, I became aware that our gov was starting to find and document these sites. Those who abandoned them are likely long gone. They need to be cleaned up to various degrees and environmentally restored. Not that easy. Many lakes were contaminated . Hard to believe that water in many of our pristine looking lakes is not fit for drinking.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts