Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blake Lemoine is a Google employee and he recently had this interview with Bloomberg media. He's ex military. Google fired him for publicly disagreeing with / challenging other AI researchers at the company.

Here's the interview. He believes this AI is similar to a small child.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Elon Musk claims the Obama administration ignored his warnings about this.

There is a crazy intelligent guy working on decentralized artificial general intelligent networks. He speaks about about big tech particularly google

The google team were his apprentices

·
Registered
390 Posts
In a broad sense for me AI is what they now label AGI.
AI has become a cool buzzword more than a specific definition.
This is so true. I work in tech and the word AI is abused so much when all they mean is complex data processing algorythms. There's so much AI right now that if we went by the old definitions, Skynet should be our overlord.

·
Registered
672 Posts
This is so true. I work in tech and the word AI is abused so much when all they mean is complex data processing algorythms.
Yup, they slap the AI label wherever they can because it attracts funding, etc. Or worse, AI methods get applied where they are not a good solution, just because they're fashionable.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
They touched on this on Lex's podcast yesterday

This guy is also from the documentary AlphaGo which I'd watched. Highly recommend to watch it first because they discuss AlphaGo a lot

Also interesting that both this guest and the recent iPod designer had similar introductions to computers and coding as I did. Makes me wish I had their resources/opportunity but also to get into tech industry

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
They are so far away from AI I'd be surprised if they even came close in the next 100 years.
This is kind of silly. We haven't even had computers for a hundred years, and look at the progress we've made. I think they only reason we wouldn't have developed AI in the next 100 years is if civilization ended or it is actually impossible. The latter is unlikely as we just have wetware computers in our heads, so it is not impossible.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
This is kind of silly. We haven't even had computers for a hundred years, and look at the progress we've made. I think they only reason we wouldn't have developed AI in the next 100 years is if civilization ended or it is actually impossible. The latter is unlikely as we just have wetware computers in our heads, so it is not impossible.
What most people think of as modern tech was really developed decades ago that has been refined. Internet/GPS/wireless/PCs etc took a lot of heavy R&D and decades of infrastructure building and then retail just refined the UX over the past decades

What is being developed on the cutting edge now probably won't hit retail mainstream for decades. Same as how what the military operates was developed decades ago. Most companies in Canada are probably not on the bleeding edge anymore like Nortel

Ben Goertzel is a good listen on Lex or Joe or other podcasts if you want a taste of where AGI is going. I don't know if Canada really competes in technology development anymore sadly especially not in any AGI that I know of

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Ben Goertzel is a good listen on Lex or Joe or other podcasts if you want a taste of where AGI is going. I don't know if Canada really competes in technology development anymore sadly especially not in any AGI that I know of
Toronto is where a lot of AI research takes place . Most companies with large AI workforces have engineering offices there. Geoffrey Hinton did a lot of the initial work on the latest resurgence of neural networks at UofT.

·
Administrator
5,282 Posts
I don't know why you'd find it silly, maybe computer tech isn't your field? Advances in computer speed/processing have greatly slowed in the past decade and certainly not at the fast pace it was in it's first few decades.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I don't know why you'd find it silly, maybe computer tech isn't your field? Advances in computer speed/processing have greatly slowed in the past decade and certainly not at the fast pace it was in it's first few decades.
Are you really going to tell me that advancements in AI have slowed in the past ten years? It's my turn to ask you if you work in a technical field.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I'll put it this way. Someone is 1922 couldn't have even imagined the kind of technology we have available to us today. And the rate of improvement is accelerating (20% to 80% adoption times for new technologies is getting shorter--steeper S curves), so the average person today is probably more clueless about what technology will look like in 2122 than the average person in 1922. We also need to consider that a lot of the advancement over the past century was driven by the 500M to 1B people who lived in the West. That number is growing to 2-3B, with China and India rising to modern industrial economies, if not the full population of the planet.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
This next incoming technological wave will make the last one look like a blip

Artificial general intelligence, genomics, 5g/starlink/mesh networks/decentralization/web3, neural link, space internet/manufacturing/exploration, fintech

The internet was like the foundation for global connection and information sharing and now we're having a cambrian explosion of innovation

·
Administrator
5,282 Posts
Are you really going to tell me that advancements in AI have slowed in the past ten years? It's my turn to ask you if you work in a technical field.
Sure there are some advancements but they're still far, far away from AGI being sentient. Some simulations do fool many layman into thinking they are close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts