Canadian Money Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Truckers don't even need pit stops. Check the 401 in Ontario for "trucker bombs". Gatoraid bottles filled with a yellow liquid and discarded in the median or shoulder. Some even catheterize so very long distances are possible. Electrics can never compete with these guys.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Herein lies the problem. The preferred method in Ottawa is to dump the green bin, blue bin, black bin, and garbage manually into the truck and then throw the bins as far as you can to ensure they get smashed and cracked and then you have to order new ones from the city.

"requested to have 18 inches between carts"...... Yeah, that just isn't about to happen in Ottawa I'm afraid. That may work in sophisticated communities, but not in Ottawa. Not a chance.

ltr
Well when I was in Waterloo it was great, they gave out blue boxes.
The truck literally had half a dozen stuck under the frame, if yours was broken, they took it and left you with a new one.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Truckers don't even need pit stops. Check the 401 in Ontario for "trucker bombs". Gatoraid bottles filled with a yellow liquid and discarded in the median or shoulder. Some even catheterize so very long distances are possible. Electrics can never compete with these guys.
And your name is Zipper? ;)

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
OMG....can't believe that is still the case!!!

The pick up mechanism has quite a bit of latitude in 3 directions to reach and grab the sides of the cart. Can reach between parked cars at the curb if necessary.

The required criteria is to have the front of the cart facing the street on the pavement by the curb. It is also requested to have 18 inches between carts but I've seen them grab carts with less than 12 inches between carts. The lift mechanism must work well because in streets with alleys, I've seen carts are in all sorts of odd positions. If it is clearly so out of whack that the mechanism can't grab it, then it gets left and the homeowner knows better for the following week.
In my neighbourhood, we only have organic in wheely bins. They don't use the fully robotic trucks on my street, so usually the guy just reaches in and grabs the bag or two in there. Recycling goes in clear bags. Honestly, the wheely bins are a big of a scourge--they take up a tonne of room and many leave them facing the street.

I like this approach:

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
They do take room but I'd rather dump all my shite in each of the 3 bins than try to manage bags. In any event, it is only a matter of time before the wheeled carts will be everywhere. Municipalities cannot afford to continue paying labour. Even small towns have gone to carts. Old habits die hard.

·
Super Moderator
4,041 Posts
They do take room but I'd rather dump all my shite in each of the 3 bins than try to manage bags. In any event, it is only a matter of time before the wheeled carts will be everywhere. Municipalities cannot afford to continue paying labour. Even small towns have gone to carts. Old habits die hard.
We went to carts for garbage and recycle here (picked up by robotic arm) no big deal. Yard waste is still handled by people though.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
When a truck is using $40/hour worth of diesel fuel and an EV would do the same time/distance with $13 worth of electricity, it probably makes sense to stop and charge every 4 or 5 hours to charge for 30 - 45 minutes. The pee break is a nice side effect. Hours of service rules also require 30 minute break within 8 hours of on duty.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I suspect this won't go very far, but I recall Magna wanted to design and build a "Canadian car" many years ago. It looks like the same players are looking at doing something for the EV market.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I thought this was worth mentioning. Petro-Canada's EV network is up and running. It concentrates on the East-West route only though. It's pretty limited in that sense, which is why you see the network doesn't go to Edmonton. Doesn't go to Cape Breton either.

Cost is $0.33/min, with an estimated 30 min for complete charge for most cars.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Can diesel compete with electric when their energy cost is 1/3?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Looks like there's research in replenishing spent lithium batteries, not recycle. If the batteries can be refreshed , that would be an impressive development.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts