Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Isn't that the entire left agenda?
not realy, there are actually 3 group

Some do overtly want that, even here they're calling to tear the whole system down. They're evil.
Some don't explicitly want that, but they do have jealousy they want sated. They're just a little selfish.
Some don't want to hurt anyone, but don't understand the consequences of what they're asking for. They simply have a different opinion.

IMO the third group is the most important, and it's why free speech is important. It's possible to discuss middle ground with them, or at least shift their plans to avoid creating poverty traps.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I think Musk is a narcissist. The thing is that narcissists are ok if you agree with what they are fixated upon, same as Trudeau and Trump.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I think Musk is a narcissist. The thing is that narcissists are ok if you agree with what they are fixated upon, same as Trudeau and Trump.
Fair, at some level you have to be.
Just for a counter point, what about Richard Branson?

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Exceptionalism as in American exceptionalism can be seen as a negative (unless you are American, I guess).

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Well, Musk and Trump don't seem all that similar. Musk has articulated goals beyond himself that explain his motivation. Trump seems solely motivated by appealing to his own vanity. He's definitely not strongly motivated by, say, banning abortion through SCOTUS stacking. He likes that because it is a useful carrot for motivating evangelicals to vote for an thrice married blowhard playboy.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Fair, at some level you have to be.
Just for a counter point, what about Richard Branson?
Yes he is. I think he is the least objectionable of the named narcississts: Best to worst: Branson, Musk, Trudeau, Trump.

But for sure there are a good sampling of narcississts among CEOs and politicians.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Car companies retool all the time. Electric vehicles are no different in fact may be easier and cheaper to build, except for the batteries.
So far though, I don't think anyone has sold enough electric cars to make a profit. GM had a nice little one called the Bolt, it was practically as good as Tesla's newest small model for less money and backed by a major company and dealership network. Nobody bought them and they stopped making them. Meanwhile Tesla is still making cars and still has never made a profit, if you deduct all the government subsidies. What will happen to them when the subsidies run out?

Don't think I dislike electric cars, I have known for years that the electric is the perfect car. The holdup was always getting suitable batteries and now that has been solved.

There are 2 things holding back electric cars in Canada, one is that the batteries do not work well when cold, and can be ruined if allowed to freeze. The other is that a decent heater uses up huge amounts of energy.

In the meantime, city buses should be replaced by electrics even if they have to have propane furnaces for heat. Get those stinky diesels off the streets.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
We had electric buses in Edmonton back in the 60's...my brother said he felt he could get the front wheels off the ground if he floored it.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Car companies retool all the time. Electric vehicles are no different in fact may be easier and cheaper to build, except for the batteries.
So far though, I don't think anyone has sold enough electric cars to make a profit. GM had a nice little one called the Bolt, it was practically as good as Tesla's newest small model for less money and backed by a major company and dealership network. Nobody bought them and they stopped making them. Meanwhile Tesla is still making cars and still has never made a profit, if you deduct all the government subsidies. What will happen to them when the subsidies run out?

Don't think I dislike electric cars, I have known for years that the electric is the perfect car. The holdup was always getting suitable batteries and now that has been solved.

There are 2 things holding back electric cars in Canada, one is that the batteries do not work well when cold, and can be ruined if allowed to freeze. The other is that a decent heater uses up huge amounts of energy.

In the meantime, city buses should be replaced by electrics even if they have to have propane furnaces for heat. Get those stinky diesels off the streets.
I was thinking this and bought some New Flyer... then COVID

Honestly I think Fords extensive Hybrid plan is a great idea to give no/low trade off vehicles.
Also they're trying to push highly desirable cars (Cmax was popular, MachE) Volkswagen and their ID.4 are coming.

Battery technology has been holding back electric vehicles for more than a century.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
We had electric buses in Edmonton back in the 60's...my brother said he felt he could get the front wheels off the ground if he floored it.
I grew up in a place that had electric buses (aka trolleybuses) Maybe we could get back to those in cities except somehow have wireless power. Our buses had no need for the rails that trams or streetcars need, but did require overhead power wires. Wireless power transfer is it seems possible - uses Tesla principle! (the other Tesla :)

·
Registered
13,790 Posts

Tesla already is ineligible for federal tax credit in the US as of Jan 2020.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I grew up in a place that had electric buses (aka trolleybuses) Maybe we could get back to those in cities except somehow have wireless power. Our buses had no need for the rails that trams or streetcars need, but did require overhead power wires. Wireless power transfer is it seems possible - uses Tesla principle! (the other Tesla :)
Battery technology is good enough today.
For Buses and items on a route, you can easily swap in batterypacks, like they do for liftrucks (forklifts) at industrial sites.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
GM is still manufacturing the Bolt. They are redesigning it over 6 months and will re-enter the market in the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model.

At one time, I checked with a local gm dealer and they couldn't offer a bolt or a volt. Maybe they didn't build that many?

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Battery technology is good enough today.
For Buses and items on a route, you can easily swap in batterypacks, like they do for liftrucks (forklifts) at industrial sites.
Not sure battery swapping makes as much sense with on the road vehicles. Not aware of any of the major bus makers making buses with swappable batteries. Honestly, they may not even be needed on many routes, which often have dwell time at terminals that can be used for opportunity charging (big batteries mean you can dump a lot of energy into a battery in a short period of time). Given that bus fleets are sized for peak periods, there is time to charge even during the day. TTC has bought 60 EV buses from three manufacturers for testing purposes and overall they are working well.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I agree city transit buses would be a perfect application for batteries. NFI Group is one of those. Xcelsior CHARGE™ - New Flyer | North America’s Bus Leader
Actually i think Garbage trucks are the even better application. The one man crew is "hammer gas, hammer brake, idle"
Also their distance till full is short.
That's the idea electric application.

But I don't know who's doing that, plus investments in garbage handling aren't cool

41 - 60 of 92 Posts