Canadian Money Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
And let me add, I haven't been neglecting my parents. They've been seeing lots of me. In fact, I lived in the same condo building as them for the last few months (all winter) and they saw me constantly.

They just got very used to that, and are a bit upset now that I live much farther away. I will still visit them occasionally -- as I always have.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
And let me add, I haven't been neglecting my parents. They've been seeing lots of me. In fact, I lived in the same condo building as them for the last few months (all winter) and they saw me constantly.

They just got very used to that, and are a bit upset now that I live much farther away. I will still visit them occasionally -- as I always have.
From that response and your other comments in #80, I have to say you are not painting a very flattering picture of your parents. You're making them sound like spoiled kids or doddering old idiots with no common sense.

One of my sons who lives 3 hours away by car has made a habit of visiting us for a day every Canada Day weekend for the last 10 years or so. It's not his only visit but it has become a kind of 'traditional' time for a visit. This year we discussed it in early May and nixed the idea as neither he nor I could see much point in his visiting if we had to maintain distancing and couldn't even go out for a nice lunch together. That to me was just simple common sense.

We Skype every couple of weeks to keep each other up to date on what's happening and that's it. I don't expect to get a hug from any family member until there is a vaccine.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

You don't need to justify your actions or your parents. It makes sense that your parents got used to being around after you living in the US for a while. That's a good thing that they enjoyed your company. It's understandable that they would want to visit you. This is just not the time.

Just remind them of the risks and you have been away from them for longer periods of time. There will be better times to visit. Just not now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My partner's family are having some of the same disputes with some members being fairly conservative in their approach to Covid and others less worried, however the disputes seem to arise when one tries to push their views on the others. I'm not sure there is a 'right' approach, particularly when you factor in mental health considerations since everyone handles this thing differently.

We avoid people who we know are going everywhere around town, but otherwise have not been completely locked away ourselves. If others think we're not being strict enough, then we accept that. My partner has one friend who has been brutally bad not following any public health rules/recommendations and she doesn't see her which has significantly hurt their friendship, but it happens.

What I find hard to swallow at this point are people who want to lecture now - say your piece and leave people alone. Generally speaking, unless someone has completely lived under a rock they by now fully understand the risks associated with their actions and have made their own decisions.

This post isn't directed at OP, just the discussion in general.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts