Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
No doubt domestic incidents are increasing, but to suggest a "pandemic in a pandemic" as some women advocates are doing is not supported by any facts.

If the calls to emergency advocacy groups are up so much.....why do police records show violent criminal offenses are down significantly ?

Are the emergency groups not informing the police of the calls they receive ? Are the police not investigating ?

Domestic violence is by it's nature considered a violent offense. The degree of violence is determined by the underlying criminal charges.

Something in the media stories doesn't add up.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I don't know about that. I think it's very likely domestic abuse is increasing during the lockdown.

The Nova Scotia shooting started as domestic violence as well, and it's the largest mass shooting in Canadian history.

With everyone locked indoors with each other, under stresses of various kinds, unable to work, and drinking more, it seems like the right conditions for more domestic violence.
There is a lot of data that it's increased.
The London data I just posted is the worst I've seen. 30% 50% hikes year over year is insane.

I'm glad officials are relaxing the lockdown.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think those things are dumb.
If you need help and you're out in public enough to be seen, unless they have an illegal gun, just run away and start screaming to call the police.
If you were to do that, specify who you want to call so they don't go all bystander effect.
I think you are not thinking things through enough MrMatt. It's easy to say run away and call the cops. Yet, we know that many people who are subject to domestic abuse put up with it for years. It is not simply a question of being able to physically get away from the abuser, it is as much a psychological issue in which the person being abused CANNOT do what seems to easy to do for someone not in that situation.

The idea of 'signalling' a friend is specifically for situations such as under our current lockdown or at any time when the person cannot get physically away from the abuser. In other words they are being held in the home. This signalling can be done on a smartphone or computer screen when using something like Skype or Facetime.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts