Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Urban thinking.

I never appreciated the doctor shortage until I left the city for a rural home. No doctor for the first 2 years and the walk-in clinics will only see you if your family doctor works there. For 2 years, we were not allowed to be seen at the clinic. Our hospital is full of non-emergencies who don’t have a doctor. We had to go to emergency to get a wart removed before we found a doctor.

online virtual clinics are popping up now...at least you can get a simple script for minor issues.
What can you say... OHIP is disaster (don't know what's going on in other provinces)... Was hoping Ford gonna re-organize OHIP, but looks like it's impossible..

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Kinda related

Quote of the day lol...

Rempel Garner twice asked PHAC officials to point to the data used to make these decisions at the Friday afternoon hearing.

“Anyone?” she furthered, when none of the six PHAC agents present at the meeting answered her question.

“Is there anyone at PHAC that provided that advice?”

Man theres a bunch of dolts working at the federal level.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
Doctors office?
Do you realize many people don't have a doctor?
I found the same thing when I lived in the US by the way.

Many of my coworkers didn't have a doctor. They really could only go to walk-in clinics or urgent care... basically the same thing I did when I lived in Manitoba.

It was very difficult to find doctors in Oregon. I finally did find an absolutely amazing doctor, somewhat by luck. But getting an appointment was incredibly hard. Often he'd be booking many weeks out, even for urgent matters. And keep in mind you're also paying about $300 (out of pocket!) for each basic visit, plus several hundred dollars more for lab tests. That's with insurance. People don't realize that in the US, even when you have health insurance, you still pay out of pocket.

I got used to paying $300 to $500 for most doctor visits. That's just a cost of living in the United States. Not a problem for me, but disastrous for low income people.

One of my coworkers (this is the US) had a very unfortunate skin infection which turned out to be a serious staph infection. He was coming to the office every day with it. I suggested he goes to a doctor and he said he doesn't have one. He had been going to walk-in clinics but they had been failing to diagnose it properly. (I told him my own guess that it was a staph infection, which turned out to be the case)

In December, I emailed my previous US doctor to just say thank-you, told him he is the best doctor I have had in 20 years. He replied with "thanks" and told me he's retiring. Really sad to see him go. But that's what happens. These doctors who have become the best, through decades of experience, hit retirement age and then they're gone.

Just sharing this because as bad as our doctor situation is in Canada, I want people to know that it's not all rosy in the United States. For many people in the US, first you pay thousands of dollars out of pocket, and you STILL can't find a doctor.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Kinda related

Quote of the day lol...

Rempel Garner twice asked PHAC officials to point to the data used to make these decisions at the Friday afternoon hearing.

“Anyone?” she furthered, when none of the six PHAC agents present at the meeting answered her question.

Liberals just want to steal more money...it's called "Covid tax" LOL

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I found the same thing when I lived in the US by the way.

Just sharing this because as bad as our doctor situation is in Canada, I want people to know that it's not all rosy in the United States. For many people in the US, first you pay thousands of dollars out of pocket, and you STILL can't find a doctor.
And here, in Milton Hospital , with broken leg, I was waiting 7! hours...in those 7 hours they measured my temperature, blood pressure and did X-ray (even though I had X-ray from Mississauga lab with me). After 7 hours I was told to come next day :).
For MRI, me and my wife were waiting 4-6 months (in US it cost $600 w/o any insurance next day).
Maybe "it's not all rosy in the United States", I didn't have experience there (btw, in Israel it's 1000 times better ), but in Ontario this is disaster.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Kinda related

Quote of the day lol...

You really want to take the position that quarantines don't slow the spread of communicable diseases?
That's IMO just stupid.

Of course not having the data to support a government policy is stupid.
The fact that they don't have a report suggesting that quarantining returning travellers could help is just not being prepared.
This government is really acting like a dictatorship, not a democratic government, and definately not a minority government.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I think if you read the article you would see quarantining is not in question, it was asked where the science was to show how the hotel gulag was better than the already in place program Alberta was successfully running and has data on for 4 months. Of course none of the experts could explain as we all know its all punitive not preventative.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I think if you read the article you would see quarantining is not in question, it was asked where the science was to show how the hotel gulag was better than the already in place program Alberta was successfully running and has data on for 4 months. Of course none of the experts could explain as we all know its all punitive not preventative.
I agree... What was bad in 14 days quarantine after arrival?! If government doesn't trust people, they can do spot checks and fine people who is going outside

41 - 48 of 48 Posts