Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting article in National Post

COVID-19 vaccine certificates similar to the “green” passes that will allow fully vaccinated Israelis in and out of gyms, pools, concert stadiums and other leisure venues are inevitable in Canada, say researchers studying the “feasibility and acceptability” of immunity passports in Canada.

Bunch of EU countries and UK are going to introduce similar passes...
Maybe it's too early for Canada, but interesting what is your opinion?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Don't like them.
A few thoughts.

Also they're likely unconstitutional, unless you think that the government has the right to regulate your body and inject substances into it at their whim.
Or deny your freedom of movement, unless you consent to such acts.

So no on
1 Functional grounds, we're not sure it's going to work.
2. Implementation problems
3. Human rights.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Your employer is going to "strongly" encourage you to get one if you're in the business of travelling. JMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Seems like a great idea at first glance, but it's not because there are people who can't get vaccinated for legit reasons, and people who just don't want to (and you have to respect that).

So by issuing vaccine passports they'll create two classes of citizens with different privileges, and that will create resentment and social unrest. It's better to just tough out the restrictions until the infection numbers indicate we've reached "herd immunity".

However, if numbers don't go down because not enough people are willing to get vaccinated, the government will have to come up with a solution. I suggest something like a substantial refundable tax credit for vaccinated people since people respond well to money.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My office is not yet reopened, but current policy is that when it does, you will need to provide roof you have been vaccinated before returning to work in the office.

I'm ok with that - we have a very open concept layout, and about 280 people per floor. It would not take long for one sick person at work, and then everyone might take it home, and the outbreak would flare quickly from there.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My office is not yet reopened, but current policy is that when it does, you will need to provide roof you have been vaccinated before returning to work in the office.

I'm ok with that - we have a very open concept layout, and about 280 people per floor. It would not take long for one sick person at work, and then everyone might take it home, and the outbreak would flare quickly from there.
Actually such policies for a long time exist in schools, kids should be fully vaccinated to attend it...

So by issuing vaccine passports they'll create two classes of citizens with different privileges, and that will create resentment and social unrest. It's better to just tough out the restrictions until the infection numbers indicate we've reached "herd immunity".
Nobody really knows when and if there will be "herd immunity" and in any case many countries are doing some kind of " full vaccination proof" for traveling purposes. For example UK and Greece ...
Whatever it's fair or not, every country can make their rules who to let in.. Currently, in order to visit practically any Caribbean country , you need to show doc that you tested negatively in last 3 to 7 days. Same thing will be with vaccination proof.
imho, Canada also need to let in foreign nationals who has such proof

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
There are countries that require proof of certain vaccinations for entry right now. No reason why a Covid vaccine could not be noted in our passports.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
There are countries that require proof of certain vaccinations for entry right now. No reason why a Covid vaccine could not be noted in our passports.
There is a concern with having to provide medical records to travel.

It is generally held that personal medical records are private. In some cases they are very heavily protected.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Forecast: Canadian Government stays away from issuing a vaccine passport as long as possible yet mandates requirement for visitors to prove before entry.

Businesses, schools, entertainment venues introduce requirements for people to be vaccinated to gain access to their facilities. These organizations are, to varying degrees, highly motivated to put something in place that allows them to get back to normal. As such they rapidly deploy processes for customers to become accredited through a one time procedure with credentials added to the individuals smartphone app for said venue, company. Manual procedures will be established to deal with edge cases that are so laborious people succumb to minor invasion of privacy and get credentialed.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a concern with having to provide medical records to travel.

It is generally held that personal medical records are private. In some cases they are very heavily protected.
Medical and vaccination records are 2 different things.... When 20+ years ago we came to Canada, we should've prove that oyr son had all required in Canada vaccination in order to go to school and obviously no one was requesting his medical records

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
So there would be a central database to verify vaccinations, and venues would have to authenticate each person before entry ?

Sounds complicated and impractical.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
It would be funny (maybe a better word than "waste") that by the time we got things ironed out (passport or no passport requirements, accompanying logistics, etc.), the pandemic will be over.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it weren't for those Covid-cheats who went on vacation but tried to hide it by pretending to still be working from home, or those others who keep on trying to by-pass the authorities, I would have have said "no" a vaccination passport should not be required.

But those cheats ruined it for all the other travelers who really did need to do their personal business and now made it unaffordable for some people to return home.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Medical and vaccination records are 2 different things.... When 20+ years ago we came to Canada, we should've prove that oyr son had all required in Canada vaccination in order to go to school and obviously no one was requesting his medical records
Vaccinations are a medical intervention.
Vaccination records are medical records.

I'll leave it up to you to think about how much of your medical history is public knowledge, but I have concerns with any mandatory sharing of medical history.
We really need privacy rights in Canada.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMHO, official doc in your passport (for example like US Visa in your non-Canadian passport) that you are fully vaccinated is a good idea

We really need privacy rights in Canada. - this is on paper ...imho, everyone who needs to know, know everything about you :)

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Give me the vaccine and then I'll make a decision. Apparently, it's going to be a long wait.

ltr
No doubt :) , this is why I wrote in the 1st post that it's may be too early for Canada ... LTC residents don't need any "green passports" as they don't live their LTC :)...
Just was thinking if miracle is happens and we gonna get vaccines before 2022 ... we just want to go to travel anywhere in the World w/o current hassles ! We're so freaking tired to spend our lives n GTA :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am not a fan of vaccination passports but I did see this coming.

@Ponderling : Are you in Canada? it is the first time I am hearing of a Canadian company doing that and making the vaccine mandatory for returning to work. It goes against some peoples beliefs/feelings but I don't blame businesses wanting to get back to normal.

It will be interesting how this plays out. I was hoping that by the end of this year covid would be done but it does not seem like it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts