Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who focus on a dividend investing strategy, what are you currently buying or selling? I always appreciate hearing comments and suggestions from others.

Taxable Acct
Started positions in CU & GWO in late February.
Added to PPL in early March.
Added to TRP in early April.

TFSA
Started position in Dream Industrial REIT in late February.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I guess you should qualify what you consider a dividend stock?

Myself, any of my stocks with a dividend under 2%, I consider growth, even though they pay a small dividend. Most of their earnings are plowed back in.

For example, CCL.B = 1.2%, DOL = 0.35%, MRU = 1.7%, SAP = 1.77%, ATD.B = 0.84%, CNR = 1.65%, CP = 0.82%.

Do you consider these growth or dividend?

ltr

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My most recent dividend stock purchase was Algoma Central, ALC. Shipping company. The fundamentals looked good to me and it pays a nice dividend.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have been rather active in 2021 (active by my standards) It should be noted that I hold approximately 40 stocks with a portfolio weighting between .25% and 5.1% Current cash is just over 10%. Usually I sit at 5-10%

I sold BPY in January and replaced it with I bought CHP.UN same month (new position)
I sold US Regional Bank PBCT in February on news of being acquired replaced with another Regional PFS in March (new postion)
I bought MMM in February (new position)
I added to my existing position of Telus a few weeks ago making it my 5th largest holding
I trimmed WEF a day or two ago because it was currently overweight and its dividend activities in 2020. will likely sell more if the SP continues to climb and I can find somewhere to reallocate.

I too am looking for suggestions. I have spent the morning looking for a US water utility. I haven't gotten super excited at first glance.

WTRG (don't like the current cashflow and payout do like the dividend growth history but currently yield is at its average)
GWRS (like the concept/ hate the stock)
still have to look at AWK, ARTNA . been a few years since I looked at AWK

May have to look outside the states.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Very happy with BEP, BIP.
Always some banks.

I'm thinking Fortis will make an entry into my TFSA at some point.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Fortis, BCE, Telus look good to me. As does BNS, CM, and MFC. Nice that you can still get 4-6% yields. I would also consider TRP.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I recently added more Telus after a quick 5% drop in price, not a great buy but decent. Mostly I've been holding my nose as share prices continue to rise every day. Been here before.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
For those of us who focus on a dividend investing strategy, what are you currently buying or selling? I always appreciate hearing comments and suggestions from others.

Taxable Acct
Started positions in CU & GWO in late February.
Added to PPL in early March.
Added to TRP in early April.

TFSA
Started position in Dream Industrial REIT in late February.
I get regular emails from Dividend Earner. I haven't actually used his stuff much, but he does have some good ideas and ways of choosing dividend stocks.

For example: Retirement Model Portfolio

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I also occasionally look at DividendEarner as well via emails and website for another opinion and ideas, but the individual is too focused on yield in, for example, the Retirement Model Portfolio. Per LTR in post #2, it would be a shame to ignore some excellent Total Return stocks like ATD.B and CNR.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Per LTR in post #2, it would be a shame to ignore some excellent Total Return stocks like ATD.B and CNR.
Yep, for sure, and that's why I asked the question in my first post, and you're the only one that even acknowledged that people should look at yield as not being everything, and we should perhaps look at Total Return. Myself, I use a combination of the two.

I look at a darling of the yield proponents in BCE and see that its yield is 6.0%. Then I look at ATD.B and see its yield is 0.84%. The dividend people might just pass it by. Others might take the time to look at the total return between these two stocks and see that yield isn't everything. I wouldn't have to sell too many shares of ATD.B to come out ahead of BCE.

ltr

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Actually, I think he has both of those in his portfolio. He has different suggestions for accumulation and retirement.
I agree there are different things in the different portfolios, with some commonality. The difference is he sees a significant difference between accumulation and retirement as per his quote
During the accumulation phase, dividend growth and total return is what drives my stock selection process and as such you will see very low yield stocks that I would normally not hold in my retirement years.
I don't subscribe to that change. My retirement portfolio of the past 15 years follows the same principles of dividend growth and total return as in accumulation and will continue to do so for as long as I am competent in managing it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I look at a darling of the yield proponents in BCE and see that its yield is 6.0%. Then I look at ATD.B and see its yield is 0.84%. The dividend people might just pass it by. Others might take the time to look at the total return between these two stocks and see that yield isn't everything.
Well the thing is more risk more reward. I have similar results as ATD.B with PBH, both picked due to constant growing dividends.... but I only feel comfortable putting 5-7% in these....whereas I feel just fine having 20% in BCE.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Well the thing is more risk more reward. I have similar results as ATD.B with PBH, both picked due to constant growing dividends.... but I only feel comfortable putting 5-7% in these....whereas I feel just fine having 20% in BCE.
Yeah, I guess I'm not making my point. There are many people who would own a fairly high risk dividend stock that paid 6 or 7 percent and wouldn't consider one that paid 1 percent even though there was a lot of room for growth.

ltr

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Agree. Could be a case like Aesop's Tortoise and the Hare. ATD have done well, but are having to rethink their business model as EVs start to take over. They may need restaurants instead of convenience stores? In Norway they are already addressing this: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/circle-k-loves-norway-we-re-ready--805591037.html

Some of those low dividend companies are no doubt good companies. But they don't provide the steady cash flow us retirees need when markets turn down or even go flat for a while. I have a small amount invested in 1 or 2, but not much and that is in my registered accounts where cash flow is not so important.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Towards the end of last year I was getting concerned about where growth stocks were heading so started thinking about some Hi-Div stocks. In early January I bought a selection of Canadian and US stocks derived from Div Aristos, Div All-Stars, recommendations from this forum and my own simplistic analysis. Bought about six in each market, each with about 5% or higher dividend, intending to hold them for "some time". By early March (that was only 2 months) I was so amazed by the stock price increases on all of them that I decided I did not know what I was doing and got out. The US stocks had appreciated by 40% or more, the Canadian ones by 12% or more. That is without considering the dividends which is what attracted me.

I'll have to withdraw more from my RRIFs next year!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Some great posts. For our scenario, we hope to live off the dividends from our registered and taxable accounts without drawing down on the principal. Given our situation, we are searching for companies whose dividends are average or above, sustainable and increase on a somewhat regular basis. Capital appreciation is secondary.

In addition to US and Global ETF's, small holding in MAW 104 and RBF 1350, our current holdings are: AQN, BNS, BCE, BMO, ZUT, CPX, CNQ, CM, CU, EMA, ENB, GWO, MFC, PPL, RUS, SLF, TRP, T, TD, and RY.

TFSA's are INO, ZRE, CRT.UN and DIR.UN

What would be some good additions? We are looking at ALA, PWO, and FTS as new holdings.

(Right or wrong, dividend investing is the path we are on. We have experienced some reasonable growth on top of the dividends)

Thx. Suggestions appreciated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts