·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
657 Posts
TD dividend increase 7%.....up $0.05

TORONTO, Feb. 27, 2020 /CNW/ - The Toronto-Dominion Bank (the Bank) today announced that a dividend in an amount of seventy-nine cents (79 cents) per fully paid common share in the capital stock of the Bank has been declared for the quarter ending April 30, 2020, payable on and after April 30, 2020, to shareholders of record at the close of business on April 9, 2020. This represents an increase in the quarterly dividend of five cents or 7% compared with last quarter

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I see that The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) is changing rules for the banks (that were implemented back in 2008 financial crisis) to loosen up capital.

But there's a catch. Don't use the extra cash to increase dividends or buy back shares.

ltr

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Couldn't find this thread earlier...Premium Brands knocking it out of the park...increased divy by 10% ...6th year in a row double digit increases.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
After the elimination of PWF, POW increases the dividend quite a bit. There were many years where the dividend was unchanged. Interesting to see such a large increase.

Power Corporation declared a 10.5% increase in its quarterly dividend to 44.75 cents per participating share.

ltr

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ford just suspended its divvy (and withdrew 2020 guidance) to preserve cash due to flagging sales.

Its probably not going to be too much a surprise but it'll be somewhat interesting to see who is going to be able to sustain their dividend, let alone grow it/deliver on growth guidance when so much commerce has slowed to a crawl or stopped in many instances.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Ford just suspended its divvy (and withdrew 2020 guidance) to preserve cash due to flagging sales.

Its probably not going to be too much a surprise but it'll be somewhat interesting to see who is going to be able to sustain their dividend, let alone grow it/deliver on growth guidance when so much commerce has slowed to a crawl or stopped in many instances.
Must be more too it than that. Are they cash thin? Auto sales can be deferred to a later date but they still need to happen eventually, e.g. later this year or 2021, when things return to normal to replace worn out vehicles.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Must be more too it than that. Are they cash thin? Auto sales can be deferred to a later date but they still need to happen eventually, e.g. later this year or 2021, when things return to normal to replace worn out vehicles.
I don't own F so am not very familiar with their situation overall. But on the surface, based on the articles I've read, they just seem to be hunkering down.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
I don't own F so am not very familiar with their situation overall. But on the surface, based on the articles I've read, they just seem to be hunkering down.
Maybe 2008/2009 is still too fresh in their minds....recognizing they were the only auto maker not to go hat in hand to Washington in that time period. Hope all goes well for them. I think they are making some of the right strategic moves to shift their vehicle line.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The G&M's John Heinzl had a short article on Friday answering a reader question of if he believed companies will cut their dividends in the current crisis (and a question about superficial losses) (paywall). He notes Ford's suspension of their dividend to provide "near term flexibility" and Boeing and Exxon Mobile being on the radar of analysts as possibly next. He also says he expects to see "plenty of dividend reductions over the next few months." which is not surprising IMO with already so much news around business closures, layoffs, etc. The restaurant and travel industries are the obvious ones that jump out at me. ex. The Keg and Boston Pizza Royalties are yielding something like a crazy 18%. However, John also quotes Cory O'Krainetz of Odlum Brown who believes this might be a buying opportunity for utilities, pipelines, and telecoms due to long-term value, good capitalization, and sustainable dividends of these companies in these sectors, identifying: Enbridge, TC Energy, Telus, Rogers, BCE, Canadian Utilities, Emera, and Fortis.

[Disclosure: I own shares in a number of the companies on the list.]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts