1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did my taxes for the second year straight with Studiotax. The price is right (it's free:)) though if you haven't done your taxes manually before (ie. if you've used a more intuitive software like QuickTax, etc. or had someone else do your taxes for you) you might find it lacking in the user-simplicity factor that the other packages excel at. The built-in wizard is good, but again there's enough in there to confuse you if you're new to doing your taxes or are used to another package..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have used accountants, QuickTax but have used UFile for the last three years. I've yet to have re-assessment issues with it, which I have with both the accountants and QuickTax.

It's simple (IMHO) and you can do eight returns for $19. I do my parents and grandparents as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
After QT reduced the returns to 2 for the 2007 tax year, I switched to ST. I had been a QT user for a number of years and liked their product. ST isn't as slick as QT, but for anyone who knows their way around the tax forms, it does a great job. My friend uses the ST wizard and says it asks all the right questions, so even if you are not comfortable doing your taxes, ST should work.

I don't plan on returning to QT. They lost me forever when they pulled the money grab last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like there are a few others like me in this forum. I used to use Quicktax but switched to StudioTax this year. The user interface isn't quite a slick as some of the commercial software, but it definitely gets the job done. I haven't had any problems at all after my second year of using it. I plan on sticking with StudioTax for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Studio Tax for the previous two years after Quick Tax lowered the number of returns I could do from five to two. (What a rip off!) I have done a total of eight returns with Studio Tax over the two years, all without a problem, error free. The operators of the programme responded to the few questions I had within a couple of hours, better than I expect from a paid programme. In short, this programme is great. I send them a donation each year because it’s more than worth it to me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thumbs up for Studio Tax!
Studiotax 2009 is up on the site now. I haven't checked it out, but for those who like to start their taxes early, it's up.

Edit: It's the pre-certified version, but I think it's a quick update to certify the software.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Interesting that Quicktax has bumped its returns up to 8 now. They lost me a few years back when they went down to 2. I will be sticking with Studio Tax for now. They have served me well the last few years. You blew it QT. You had a good product at a reasonable price range and you had to get greedy. Serves you right.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had followed all of these discussions from last tax season, and the backlash against Quicktax, but I seem to have forgotten the widespread consensus that Studiotax was the go-to product. I rushed out and bought Quicktax without thinking about it (creature of habit I guess), and wrapped up my taxes on the weekend. Oh well, my father-in-law always uses Quicktax too, so I've passed it on to him. Unless it's changed this year, it can be installed on 2 computers.

Studiotax for tax year 2010 then.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow. You're an early bird. Can you file at this time too, or do you have to wait?
I like to do it early so I know what the refund will be (so far have never had a liability - I know this is not ideal). Also gives me a bit of time to mull over any further RRSP contributions.

Netfile opens for business 15-Feb, so I have to sit on it until then like everyone else.

I looked it up, and paper forms are only available at post offices early Feb, so I don't know of a way to submit any earlier than mid-Feb.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Studiotax 2009 is up on the site now. I haven't checked it out, but for those who like to start their taxes early, it's up.

Edit: It's the pre-certified version, but I think it's a quick update to certify the software.
Thanks. I'm going to give it a try. I would love to get the taxes done early.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can print off the forms on the CRA website. The 2009 packages are available. Do you have all your slips though? You need them for paper filing.
My tax situation is very straightforward. All of my investments (and my wife's) are sheltered in RRSP's. All information is known, or can be quickly calculated.

I don't expect to do any serious investing until my mortgage is gone in a few years. Then, my tax life will get more complicated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tax Software

If you prepare and file your own taxes, tax software makes your life much easier. It is relatively straight forward, less error-prone and if you NETFILE, you can get your refunds a lot faster. QuickTax is the leading tax package but it has plenty of competition. You can find discussions of tax software here:

http://www.canadiancapitalist.com/category/taxes/software

http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/quicktax-online-review-and-giveaway.htm

Are there any recent tax software reviews available? I used Ufile in the last two years and I was satisfied.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts