Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering for those of you who have disability insurance, which company do you use? Also, approximately how much does disability insurance cost?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I use Sun Life Financial.

The cost is likely going to depend quite steeply on your occupation, type of coverage (for you ability to do your own occupation vs. ability to do any occupation), your own medical history, history of any prior claims and the amount of coverage requested.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Other factors that will affect the cost include your age (i.e. for how many years income replacement is being purchased) and, perhaps the biggest one of all, the waiting period before you start to receive payments (i.e. 30 days, 60 days, 90 days or 120 days).

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I use Sun Life. My professional association has a group plan/discount.

And yes your insurance costs will completely vary depending upon what riders you decide to choose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My common law spouse is a 38 year old freelance writer/copy editor, and is currently looking to buy disability insurance. Does anyone have any advice as to what she should be seeking? She was advised to look for a non-cancelable policy, is this worth the extra cost? Would it be beneficial to go through a mortgage broker?

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
...a mortgage broker? Do you mean a life insurance agent who is *also* a mortgage broker? Uh, no. You want someone who sells life and disability insurance as their primary business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
...a mortgage broker? Do you mean a life insurance agent who is *also* a mortgage broker? Uh, no. You want someone who sells life and disability insurance as their primary business.
Sorry I mean insurance broker... but having recently taken a mortgage I guess I have mortgages on my mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts