Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sigh. I spoke to a family member last night who had gotten partially sucked in to the whole Direct Buy scam. I'm fairly certain we discussed this at length in the past but I wasn't able to locate the thread. Google has lots of dirt on this outfit.

Anyway, this family member had already given them his contact information and been given a "free" 30 day trial membership. I warned him about their MO and all the scams and problems and he had never heard of it. This family member is not connected/online at all. He appreciated being warned by me but now I have to talk to his answering machine because he gave out his contact info to this and other loyalty cards and stores that ask for your phone# and address etc (so they can spam you) -- the answer was that I should leave a msg and call back.

It's really frightening that so many people, even your own family, continue to be sucked in by these sorts of scams. I really wish the gov't would do more to shut down this type of operation. I also wish people would really be more protective of their name and contact information when dealing with business.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
He should get caller ID on his phone. Then he can pick up from callers that he knows. That is what we do. The sceening is done on all other calls.

As a rule, I never deal with people that call me. I select vendors. That would be a good policy for anyone that gets stung by these scoundrels.

I picked up on someone trying to reach my deceased MIL yesterday. He was trying to sell timeshare. I requested that he remove her name from his database and then hung up.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I think Marketplace did a show on them. Pretty scathing. If you need it, they probably have the show on video on their website.

·
Registered
125 Posts
IMO, DB isn't anywhere near a scam. There are savings to be had, but you had better be furnishing/renovating an entire house to realize any type of savings. The initial fee is just too high nowadays, but my sister joined over 10 years ago, and I've been fortunate enough to have her buy a few things for us over the years.

What I don't agree with though, and why they get incorrectly called a scam, is their high-pressure sales tactics. Big difference between bad sales practices and actually ripping people off and giving nothing in return.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts