Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts
Fire stick can turn most modern TVs into a smart TV. These are the older flat screen TVs. The newest TVs already have smart fun actions lots. you need the required HDMI port To plug in a fire stick.

With fire stick, you can stream tv shows, movies or sign up with amazon, Netflix etc.
there are also apps for networks like CBC and CTV.

we use it to access Netflix and amazon prime Video on our older tv. My son uses his to access CBC and CTV On a Tv without satellite/cable.

Discussion starter · #42 · (Edited)
Fire stick can turn most modern TVs into a smart TV.
-
Thanks.
Why would I pay 50 bucks if I got Rogers TV and Rogers Internet?
Are they free or is each click a subscription?
There is a monthly fee from Amazon I think?
-----
How does my "Viewing Choice" change or improve?

When I visit the Rogers website, I can subscribe to a huge amount of channels and the only reason I don't is because I am already paying 150 minimum plus another 75 for an i-Phone?

I own a Smart TV - I purchased it in February this year.
My TV has an HDMI . I have the FireStick attached and I can read it.
I can't really use it because I don't know the pasword right now.

But it seemed each time I clicked I got prompted for a subscription.
Why would I subscribe when I can subscribe at Rogers?

That is why I asked or suggested that I need to know or understand the benefits of owning a FireStick. I could beg Amazon to let me into the one my brother bought or just buy a new one.

But why should I? is it just not duplication?

Large Screen TV
Seiki 50" 1080p Smart LED HD Television with Wi-Fi Connectivity and Miracast- SC-50UK700N
$ 449.99

Oh boy. Go back to the beginning Beaver101. Calm gave the link for the supplier he ordered from. It clearly states on their site that they use the US Postal Service. Since calm is in Canada, that means it would be turned over to Canada Post for delivery. So that is 'WHAT MAIL' delivery I am talking about.

Canada Post operate according to their rules. They do not have an agreement with an individual supplier saying they will operate according to rules set by the supplier, OR by calm. So a buyer has a choice, accept Canada Post's rules or ask a supplier if they will deliver by some other means. What a buyer CANNOT expect is to have a delivery made the way they want it made if it is going to be delivered by Canada Post who follow their own rules.

Calm has tried to say is that the supplier is responsible to get it to his door when the supplier has told him it will be delivered by Canada Post over whom they have no control.

If you are concerned about porch or lobby pirates, then I would suggest you take that into consideration when ordering something to be delivered. Don't order from a supplier who will not give you some guarantee of 'hand to hand' delivery. That's YOUR choice to make.

Canada Post does allow for you to set a 'safe drop' location. If you do NOT set a preference, then they will NOT leave a package on your porch, they will leave you a notice telling you to pick up at your local Post Office that is THEIR system and has been as long as I can remember. Gone are the days of the mailman knocking at your door and chatting about the weather with you.

Here is what calm wrote in the OP.
From the supplier: "We'd recommend visiting your local post office or calling Canada Post to have them deliver not return to us.

I answered ..... (and I will keep yuh tuned as they reply) ....

"I paid for shipping.
You are in charge of shipping.
I will wait to hear my door bell."

Obviously, calm was not interested in how Canada Post handles deliveries, only in how he WANTED his delivery handled. That to me is cutting off your nose to spite your face since the result is evident. No package in his hands.
... man, talk about keeping a customer or making the customer happy. If I was calm, I would AVOID the US Amazon side altogether.

And if any online retailer "tells me" that they're NOT responsible for the courier services that they contracted with, then they can keep their products. Because they couldn't care less if you received the products that you already paid for. I can't imagine what the back-end service from that retailer would be if the product turns out to be defective, or not as illustrated or ... 'cause according to customers like LTA, it's the retailer/supplier/courier who is king, the customer is the sap.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
I get many deliveries.
I listed the only two instances or problems with.
The mask and Amazon.
I will now do my utmost to purchase from a Canadian located supplier like Amazon. I would of ordered the mask from Amazon but could not sign up.
Now I can.
Other than that, I have no hassels with delivery,

-
Thanks.
Why would I pay 50 bucks if I got Rogers TV and Rogers Internet?
Are they free or is each click a subscription?
There is a monthly fee from Amazon I think?
-----
How does my "Viewing Choice" change or improve?

When I visit the Rogers website, I can subscribe to a huge amount of channels and the only reason I don't is because I am already paying 150 minimum plus another 75 for an i-Phone?

I own a Smart TV - I purchased it in February this year.
My TV has an HDMI . I have the FireStick attached and I can read it.
I can't really use it because I don't know the pasword right now.

But it seemed each time I clicked I got prompted for a subscription.
Why would I subscribe when I can subscribe at Rogers?

That is why I asked or suggested that I need to know or understand the benefits of owning a FireStick. I could beg Amazon to let me into the one my brother bought or just buy a new one.

But why should I? is it just not duplication?

Large Screen TV
Seiki 50" 1080p Smart LED HD Television with Wi-Fi Connectivity and Miracast- SC-50UK700N
$ 449.99
for Smart TVs with built-in apps, then yes for the most part, it is duplication. we Have a fire stick and use it on an older flat screen which is not smart. We use it for netflix and amazon video, both Of which are paid subscriptions.

I think you’re paying too much for TV. Do you watch a lot of sports? That’s the only reason I see for paying and justifying such a high price.

my Sons tv has a fire stick built in. He watches CBC gem, ctv and other cdn networks for free. We pay about $20 month for Netflix and amazon prime combined.

im Not aware of the channel subscriptions available through Rogers, but I’d does sound similar.

fire stick does a good job of consolidating all available viewing (paid and free) onto a single platform.

lets talk more about your $150 cable bill and $75 phone bill. Do you use a lot of data?
i pay $45 for my phone and my son pays $25. I get 3gb of data. I think he gets something similar but at a slower speed.

Discussion starter · #46 · (Edited)
My Package: Purchased in February.
Ignite Internet 150u
Modem Rental:
$176.27 (Last Month Billing)
----
Speeds up to:
download 150 Mbps
upload - 15 Mbps
----
5 email accounts
-----
Phone is a separate charge.

My i-Pone once belonged to my twin brother.
Kind of small ....It is 5" by 2 1/2"
With a larger screen I may trip around Mouse Land, I gotta squint to read the screen on this phone which I have now.
I just transfered the Rogers billing to my VISA card.
I might get 20 very short calls per month.
No mention that my brother is no longer around. Still in his name.
And continued paying the 75 per month.
I am seriously thinking about an upgrade.

Attachments

That’s a lot of data usage on your phone. Are you out of the house a lot? I barely use 2gb a month. is your phone connected to wifi while you‘re at home? You should be using cell phone data while at home.

the $176 seems very high. My tv costs me $40 and my rural internet is $100.
i know with bell, a pretty good tv plan is about $80.

i assume you’re $176 covers tv and internet. Still seems high.

Discussion starter · #48 · (Edited)
I do not think that is my phone.
My phone is separate billiing.

I don't know about data on phone.
It was my twin brothers and I just blindly pay 75 bucks per month.
I don't even know if I can get access to data info at the phone account.
i-Phone was owned by my twin and still in his name.
I pay the phone via my VISA card and nobody knows the difference.

I only showed you internet usage and TV charges.
I got 2 TV's and a computer running 24-7.
Never turned off.
And the reason the TV is not ever turned off is because it is too hard to tune it into my Rogers remote control. I just leave it on until I find out how to program my remote to accept the TV codes. The name/make of my TV is not even listed as a choice when I try.

Hard to get technician help when this Virus is working its charm.

I think I will get new i-Phone because the screen is too small for me to enjoy to surf the net. (2 1/2"W X 5"H.
I have seen larger screen i-Phones. Maybe a thousand bucks?
That is why I have been in no hurry to set up my phone plan properly and throw my brother's phone away.
My twin used to own an i-Watch too. His son took it.
Can an i-Watch (somehowtuned into the i-Phone) be using data or whatever? Can an i-Watch monitor the original phone hookup? Is my nephew able to kind of monitor my i-phone useage?
I never wanted the i-Watch so I gave it to my brother's son and I kept the i-phone.

The Amazon Firestick gives you an alternative to Rogers. See here for $24/mo
Net TV Canada
In addition, you can download Cinema HD and get everything else for free. All Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu content via streaming which is legal. You can also download but that violates copyright laws. We watched Greyhound the day after it was released!

It depend on what the supplier represented to him. If it were me, Purolator would lie about having tried to deliver and then left a notice tapped to the outside of the building saying to pick it up at a CP Depot. During Covid-19, that is unacceptable.
LTA you don't seem to understand that CP delivers to our door but if the package is too big, they use Purolator who does not deliver to our building!

Discussion starter · #51 ·
The Amazon Firestick gives you an alternative to Rogers.
-
So, I gain no extra programing choice.
What I can get with Rogers is same or almost same as FireStick?
Duplication?

Money was really not my quibble or curiosity right now.
I think what you have explained to me is that the FireStick is Overkill for me because I got it at Rogers if I want.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
I am just going to toss that FireStick in a drawer some place.

I get many deliveries.
I listed the only two instances or problems with.
The mask and Amazon.
I will now do my utmost to purchase from a Canadian located supplier like Amazon. I would of ordered the mask from Amazon but could not sign up.
Now I can.
Other than that, I have no hassels with delivery,
... 2 delivery problems are already enough and multiply that by thousands of customers ... don't you see a trend upcoming? Or is it just better to sweep it under the rug and claim everything is honky-dory on the subject of your thread "Delivery Culture".

Let me expose/tell/"complain if you will" one of my "online" experience (with a satisfactory ending made possible though by a "smart" retailer). First time purchasing their products (excellent) "online" as more convenient doing so than going into their physical store. Been a customer for decades.

Trying to make a long story short here ... the product was delivered to "my doorstep" by a "major" courier sometime in late afternoon (of which I had been studiously tracking./watching out for) .. but because I was off my computer attending to something else (in the bathroom?), I was supposedly only 15 minutes late from the time they actually dropped it off (as timestamped on my computer). There was a BIG SIGN posted to my door next to the doorbell saying "COURIER ABC, please RING THE DOORBELL". Did the deliveryperson do that? NO. So guess what my package was left out in the open ... for anyone else other than me ... to help themselves to. And that is EXACTLY what happened, STOLEN. No proof as to who. [Hmmm... now in hindsight, maybe I should have reported to the city cops. ... ]. Anyhow ...

When I complained (all the way to management) of the COURIER company FIRST, they gave me the BS of an 'NSR=no signature required" so they're NOT OBLIGATED to ring the doorbell even you courteously instructed them to do so. Fair enough, I can't tell them HOW TO DO THEIR JOB. As it's SO HARD to ring a doorbell. And yet they RIDICUOUSLY instructed me to go check all around your place, front, back ,lane way, in your recycling box, etc. as the delivery guy might put it in "conspicous" place. Wow, how conscientious of them too.

So I told the retailer what happened ... no sweat as they went through their records (my purchasing profile) they immediately offered to send me replacements for free. Do you think I was satisfied? NO! In fact, I told the retailer that they go and have a talk to their courier company about "their way of doing business or responsibility" as it might be the FIRST and LAST time I'm going to "online" shop with this retailer plus it will be a LONG time before I'll step into their physical store.

Because if you really think about it "unselfishly" both you and I, the customers are going to be paying for the "free replacements" eventually... the store is going to recoup their loss somehow ... all because of some "Delivery Culture=don't give a damn" from these courier services.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
... 2 delivery problems are already enough and multiply that by thousands of customers ... don't you see a trend upcoming? Or is it just better to sweep it under the rug and claim everything is honky-dory on the subject of your thread "Delivery Culture".
I agree that there must be a Zillion people experiencing delivery problems just like I did or worse.
I listed my experiences with "Delivery Culture" and since they now appear to have been solved, there is not much more I can say about my hassles.

It seems to me that suppliers offer to arrange shipping and then want to suggest that the shipping is the customer's problem. This is after the supplier most likely charged a fee to arrange shipping.

No customer should be expected to chase down a parcel.

It is the supplier who should chase the parcel down because the supplier arranged and thus is responsible for that shipping process to properly complete.

So, I gain no extra programing choice.
What I can get with Rogers is same or almost same as FireStick?
Duplication?
It is not duplication, It enhances your choices for C$24/mo and replaces everything but the internet fee.
I am just going to toss that FireStick in a drawer some place.
Would you mail it to me? I will cover your costs. Please PM me.

... Basically they had the parcel on the truck the day of the delivery and it mysteriously vanished. I had to contact Amazon for a replacement.
Interesting ... the closest I have heard of that is my relative in LA. He said that the sixth delivery was the first that the package pirates missed intercepting. He couldn't figure out how Amazon makes up the losses as he said he's had friends say similar.

In my case, I've started to select the local variety store that has a post office in it for delivery for larger items. Smaller ones go to the Super Mailbox.

Cheers

... The pandemic has been playing hell with international deliveries. Yesterday, 3.5 weeks after ordering, the package showed up in my mailbox ...
YMMV.

Last two Amazon orders were from NJ to Canada. The first was supposed to arrive in four days where it arrived in two. The second was supposed to arrive in ten days where it arrived in four.

Orders shipped from NB had one taking two extra days than estimated while the second took five days less than estimated.

Cheers

I know this is going to sound really weird.
But, what if my posting complaints to this thread is what prompted my mask and also Amazon to respond?
Do you think it possible that robots (here in Mouse Land) gave the company a heads up?
It's possible ... there are tools to track this if one has the staff for it and if one doesn't, one can hire one of the companies that do this.

Cheers

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.